• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 FSH Sport 190

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a 2018 Fsh sport 190 that I can’t get to fire up. Boat will turn over, bought new batteries, new plugs, oil is good. Pulled fuel line off tank and fuel flowed from tank when turning over. Checked all wired connections, safety switch. Boat has 3/4 full tank gas. PLEASE HELP!

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you check your safety lanyard switch? If you're not getting a good connection that could cause the non start, but turning over problem.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is another kill switch located on the clean out plug hatch / tray…. Make sure that switch is getting depressed all the way…

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Checked back hatch closed all the way. Lanyard has the cord connected to kill switch. Checked all fuses in engine bay. Did get boat jumped last weekend when it did this and ran. Used trickle charge on old batteries and completely charged but did not turn over today. Went and bought 2 new batteries and replaced plugs still nothing. Hoping to get this figured out leaving soon for the keys.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Were the batteries you replaced bad? Or did the boat fail to charge them? You have two batteries correct? If so, you did not employ the emergency parallel switch to get started?

Have you tried moving the throttle lever back and forth a little bit? There should be a switch on that as well, but that switch usually prevents the starter from engaging.

how long have you had this boat?

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The batteries I replaced were from when I bought the boat in 2018 new. They may have been ok but I new id have to do it sooner or later. Have had no issues with the boat until last week. Have changed the plugs every 100hrs and engine oil every 50. Flushed after ever use. Something electrical I’m guessing, boat should be still under warranty so may try that route but I’m leaving Thursday for the keys.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You have two batteries correct? If so, you did not employ the emergency parallel switch to get started?

Have you tried moving the throttle lever back and forth a little bit? There should be a switch on that as well, but that switch usually prevents the starter from engaging.

so the boat was starting fine until this happened? Never acted up like this before?

Is there corrosion on any of the ground connections? Have you checked the grounds on the engine?

When you say you checked all the wired connections what exactly do you mean? Did you pull all of the multi pin deutche connectors apart that come from the ignition coil and such on the engine apart and check them for corrosion?

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do have two batteries. I have turned all battery switches to on whenever using the boat. Throttle switch works as it will only start in neautral. Boat started fine up until last weekend. There may be corrosion but don’t know where to check for either ground. Have not checked any duetche connectors. Is there a fuel filter on the boat? I cranked it with the hose off coming from the tank and gas squirted out from the tank.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well that’s some serious corrosion right there.

IMG_3435.jpeg

Okay pull a spark plug and see if you have spark. You said fuel squirted out so chances are you have fuel check for spark.

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ll try in the am. Do you know if any of the corrosion area would be something that wouldn’t allow it to start?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s very possible that’s all associated with the ECU..

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
ECM? I read something and the guy had replaced that and it worked. Not sure how you trouble shoot it but may be worth a shot.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don’t start throwing parts at a problem without knowing what’s wrong, this leads to a much lighter wallet and extreme frustration.

Figure out if you’ve got the basics, fuel and spark, then solve whatever is wrong.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
ECM? I read something and the guy had replaced that and it worked. Not sure how you trouble shoot it but may be worth a shot.

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don’t start throwing parts at a problem without knowing what’s wrong, this leads to a much lighter wallet and extreme frustration.

Figure out if you’ve got the basics, fuel and spark, then solve whatever is wrong.
Well that’s some serious corrosion right there.

View attachment 199805

Okay pull a spark plug and see if you have spark. You said fuel squirted out so chances are you have fuel check for spark.
I pulled the spark plug and cranked the engine over and have spark. I could smell gas in the cylinder as well. Do you know if there is a fuel filter somewhere? Running out of ideas on what to check next.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is no fuel filter per se.

Kinda sounds like you may need to take it to a dealer.

Did you pull all the plugs apart and clean them ?

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I replaced all of the spark plugs.

Took it into a shop he said the gas didn’t have an odor to it so flushed the fuel out replaced it and boat fired up! Thanks for all your help!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m stoked for you! Now you get to do your keys trip!

But how did the gas not have an odor? That’s rather vexing.

You do have some homework to do when you get back to get rid of that corrosion. I’d give that engine bay a liberal dose of silicone spray as well as the aft bilge before you split to the keys.

Hope you have a great time !

FSH4Days

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m stoked for you! Now you get to do your keys trip!

But how did the gas not have an odor? That’s rather vexing.

You do have some homework to do when you get back to get rid of that corrosion. I’d give that engine bay a liberal dose of silicone spray as well as the aft bilge before you split to the keys.

Hope you have a great time !
Thank you! The boat mechanic said they didn't use SS hardware on the area around the ECU. I'm going to replace all of that. I've got some Yamaha silicone spray I'll give it a good coating. Pretty strange on the gas not having an odor, he said it was clear as well. I've been using the same gas station and used non-ethanol since I bought it with no issues up until the last fill up.