• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha FSH keel repair

NeoBrew

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While winterizing my boat I got underneath to wax and noticed this damage.

9F670A58-AD67-4663-8600-DE8C4E22D95E.jpeg
I was surprised as it must have happened when I was captain, but I have no idea when or where it was. Judging by the scratching I must have drifted sideways over a rock or something.

I’m planning to fix it myself since I have the winter to tinker with it.

Questions:
1. Are the small patch kits enough to fill this? It doesn’t look like the fiberglass below is damaged. The gloss coat just chipped off.

2. This seems like a pretty fragile area. Has anyone heard of someone fabricating a stainless cover for the keel and bonding it to the fiberglass? I’m thinking something like a bow guard but obviously formed to fit the keel.

View attachment 166423
I was surprised as it must have happened when I was captain, but I have no idea when or where it was. Judging by the scratching I must have drifted sideways over a rock or something.

Questions:
1. Are the small patch kits enough to fill this? It doesn’t look like the fiberglass below is damaged. The gloss coat just chipped off.

2. This seems like a pretty fragile area. Has anyone heard of someone fabricating a stainless cover for the keel and bonding it to the fiberglass? I’m thinking something like a bow guard but obviously formed to fit the keel.

Ive got the same damage on mine…. I’ll be making a repair to this area and a couple of other places over the winter.

Just do a search for gel coat repair kits and You will find what you need.

This vid is for repairs to a non skid surface, I like this guys channel, if you look around on his channel you’ll probably find what you need.

Last edited:

View attachment 166423

Questions:

Spectrum Gel Coat Patch, Boat White for your year. If you have questions just call Spectrum they are extremely helpful. 1 jar may do it but you may want to pick up two. Easy stuff to work with, you will need to put it on in layers. Get your self some Acetone as well if you don't have any.

Make sure the fiberglass is dry that is showing and around that area. If you get stuck or have questions let me know. I have done gel coat on my boat and several other Yamaha's this year for members as well.

Usually up to a 2 week ship time.

YAMAHA BOAT WHITE COAT 5 04-21 (3dcartstores.com)

Hear is another suggestion..........fix with proper gel sand and feather like you are going for the perfect fix....................then spray with Raptor liner(truck bed liner) hear are some photos on my 50 year old Boston Whaler I used Black in stead of bottom paint/white on topside......been used in salt water for 2 years now with no problems.........I use this boat in shallow water fishing and I hit bottom more than I I should.

This liner can be sprayed or rolled with excellence results. I used the Raptor adhesions spray after a 80 grit light sanding(its like primer it pernitrates deep and allows the liner to get a better grip. Slick fiberglass would not be a good hold. This stuff is tough as nails and it will take a hammer hit with no damage. I would tape off an area just above you drain and angle/taper downs just to cover bottom of your keel maybe one foot or so forward of the damage. Kind of like spray or rolled keel guard.

Just a thought Good Luck !

Attachments

• IMG_3646.JPG
    IMG_3646.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I bought a used boat, first boat. I didn't know better and didn't check the keel. Could not see the damage while standing and looking.
Was mounting a transducer, got under the boat and found this.
Cost me $800 for someone to grind, glass and gel coat. I went with a brush on on black gel coat (paint matching the grey bottom was stupid money). They taped it off to have a nice line and brushed it on.

Four your damage, I would grind away and loose gel coat, feather is nicely and paint some new gel coat on. Or, grind off / feather a larger area, don't bother matching and paint it black. It's only a matter of time before it happens again, that black gel coat will be easy to sand and re-apply.

Sorry I don't have any after pictures, I'll have to get some next time we take the boat out.

IMG_1987.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg

What is the plastic plug next to the intake grate...........looks to be a drain.

It's the speedometer (spinning wheel in a housing). It doesn't resolve well in the photo.

What is the plastic plug next to the intake grate...........looks to be a drain.

mid their boat is like mine, that is the speedometer sensor.

I bought a used boat, first boat. I didn't know better and didn't check the keel. Could not see the damage while standing and looking.
Was mounting a transducer, got under the boat and found this.
Cost me $800 for someone to grind, glass and gel coat. I went with a brush on on black gel coat (paint matching the grey bottom was stupid money). They taped it off to have a nice line and brushed it on.

Four your damage, I would grind away and loose gel coat, feather is nicely and paint some new gel coat on. Or, grind off / feather a larger area, don't bother matching and paint it black. It's only a matter of time before it happens again, that black gel coat will be easy to sand and re-apply.

Sorry I don't have any after pictures, I'll have to get some next time we take the boat out.

View attachment 166488
View attachment 166489

Why didnt you get the actual colored gel coat rather painting? Pretty sure that is the Yamaha Suede Gray

Gel Coat Search (3dcartstores.com)

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I had found the spectrum patch kits. I was only holding off because the money is a little crazy for such a small amount.

That truck liner idea is pretty interesting. Are you able to get it smooth? The liner paint I’ve used before had non-slip grit in it. I’m sure it is a nominal amount of drag from such a small area, but it would bug me tothink it wasn’t as slick as could be.

Why didnt you get the actual colored gel coat rather painting? Pretty sure that is the Yamaha Suede Gray

Gel Coat Search (3dcartstores.com)
Thought I answered that. It saved me $300 to not bother matching the color. Having the Yamaha Suede Grey does not guarantee a color match. Fortunately (or not) I work with color for a living, differences in gray are easily perceivable by the human eye. I took the easy way out :)

Not smooth.....only as good as the roller(use foam roller) spray is smother if you have the ability to jack up the pressure to 125psi....takes a pretty hefty compressor. It will however not really slow you down........most of the stick on keel guards will cause more resistance to speed than the thin TB liner.

I have been holding off on the Spectrum color patch kit because two of those at $90 seems excessive. Since it is on such an inconspicuous area, could I use another brand? I'm not concerned as much about the color and might even do the truck bed liner over the top of it.

I was able to find some total boat products that I think would get me a whole quart of onoy $47+shipping. Any advice?

TotalBoat White and Neutral Gelcoats (I would use white with wax I believe)
Jamestown Distributors

TotalBoat Silica Thickener
Jamestown Distributors

Back