• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Chicago Loop Cruise - June 1

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There will be a mandatory coast guard check before we put in on the water. @ar240owner and I will be driving up Friday morning. Make sure you study the guide and have the required articles or you will not be allowed to lock thru to lake Michigan. US coast guard approved life vests for everyone on board. Battery covers for both positive and negative terminals, signal flares ( in date......... I purchased out of date flares last year somehow ) . A bailing item for water in case your bilge fails. I think those were the things I got dinged on last year.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
There will be a mandatory coast guard check before we put in on the water. @ar240owner and I will be driving up Friday morning. Make sure you study the guide and have the required articles or you will not be allowed to lock thru to lake Michigan. US coast guard approved life vests for everyone on board. Battery covers for both positive and negative terminals, signal flares ( in date......... I purchased out of date flares last year somehow ) . A bailing item for water in case your bilge fails. I think those were the things I got dinged on last year.
And an fyi for those that figure on amazon for those flares. Not typically. Most types are considered explosive and can't be shipped. They can be in all reality but it's far more expensive. I believe there are led versions that are acceptable now as well.
And check the date on fire extinguisher. I believe i need a new one myself.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks! I did read that and printed off the coast guard info. I asked the dealer about battery cover and I think only my positive terminals have caps on them. I better check that. Should I get a box w/ cover? Or just put caps on the neg terminals? Also saw the info on flares. Surely a local outdoor type store would have those?? Or maybe not?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks! I did read that and printed off the coast guard info. I asked the dealer about battery cover and I think only my positive terminals have caps on them. I better check that. Should I get a box w/ cover? Or just put caps on the neg terminals? Also saw the info on flares. Surely a local outdoor type store would have those?? Or maybe not?
I would just buy the black covers and be done. That is what I did for this trip. Walmart has the flares in their boating section.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
5 of the 13 registered vessels are Yamaha (and from this forum), so far!! How many more can we get??

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My batteries are in boxes and have never had questions.
Flares are at all your Cabelas/BassPro etc.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
are jetskis allowed in this trip ?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would love to but kid still in school. And I’m pulling her out that Thursday and Friday for the Bantam Jeep festival. Let the summer begin!!!!!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably need to check with the organizer, but I wouldn't see why not.
I should have been more precise. I cannot make June 1st. I was thinking more like if jetskis are allowed in the waterway for this route. Wondering if they ( authorities) have any restrictions on skis.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I should have been more precise. I cannot make June 1st. I was thinking more like if jetskis are allowed in the waterway for this route. Wondering if they ( authorities) have any restrictions on skis.
No restrictions. I believe jet skis need to be last in and out of locks but really i think it's just commercial vessels first. Well, emergency then commercial then leisure but the skis are prolly better off tied to a boat. Just easier anyways.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling do you know if there are any restaurant in Downtown chicago where we can tie the ski and have lunch?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling do you know if there are any restaurant in Downtown chicago where we can tie the ski and have lunch?
You bet!
You may want to check out Lawrences's Fish and Shrimp. Dock isn't that big and when we have a bigger group do the loop it's hard to tie off due to the current but food is decent. I mean it's mostly all fried fish kinda stuff but I like it!
Lawrences.jpg
If coming from Lake Michigan side going down river (would recommend for fuel concerns) it is just past the Ping Tom Park which has big Chinese looking structures in a park. Won't miss it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you good Sir.

I will work on the logistics.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think there are some restaurants you can go to downtown but there aren't a lot of places to dock (and I think you have to reserve a space ahead of time). Please correct me if I'm wrong @Speedling

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think there are some restaurants you can go to downtown but there aren't a lot of places to dock (and I think you have to reserve a space ahead of time). Please correct me if I'm wrong @Speedling
I haven't tried to go to those places and it's not like a marina to go stop in at.
I could be totally wrong but there are placses that look like private slips inside /under buildings but i have never ventured with my crew of kids into any of the places.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Oh good! Only 25-35 bucks an hour! Perfect for those hour long strolls along the boulevard and a half hour wait to be seated at a local bistro etc. Glad i never looked. With 3 kids always in tow, nothing goes quickly. But for some solo guys that could be cool!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think we will be stopping anywhere last year it took a long time from start to finish we just pack food for the whole day. We tied up with all the other boats at the end for an hour before we headed back. We had about an hour of daylight when we got back to the ramp.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking forward to this a lot!!! Ready for some Chicago style pizza and some parking lot drinking!