• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Chicago Loop Cruise - June 1

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That was a ride I really don't want to ever do again, but glad I did it once.
So, how big were those waves? I told someone 3-5’... but I have no idea how to judge and pulled that number out of my butt. Looking back at the pics and a couple short video clips, it doesn’t look near that bad.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, how big were those waves? I told someone 3-5’... but I have no idea how to judge and pulled that number out of my butt. Looking back at the pics and a couple short video clips, it doesn’t look near that bad.
I can't say for sure, but I would definitely agree with 3-5'. They for sure weren't the 1' waves they were calling for.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I can't say for sure, but I would definitely agree with 3-5'. They for sure weren't the 1' waves they were calling for.
I always hate telling people a number on the size waves because it's always "nah, those weren't 5' waves they were 1.5' waves and you're a wussy"
lol
It's always either "Those aren't that big" or "I can't believe you went out there!"

Up by Navy Pier, the waves from the boats stack up quick and make it nasty. The Lake itself a ways out may have been much nicer but multiple boats making ripples and those ripples reflecting off all the concrete walls from Navy Pier down the way south a ways can be very nasty.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Really, it felt to me like, the closer we got to Navy Pier the better it was. Closer to where we came out of Calumet River and started the trek N to Navy Pier, that’s where the heaviest was, imo.

Maybe we slowed down later on... it was a bit of a blur being our first time out there. Lol :)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Really, it felt to me like, the closer we got to Navy Pier the better it was. Closer to where we came out of Calumet River and started the trek N to Navy Pier, that’s where the heaviest was, imo.

Maybe we slowed down later on... it was a bit of a blur being our first time out there. Lol :)
Were the boats bunched up at all?
Either way, the lake demands respect quick that's for sure! Glad you guys had fun and were safe!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Were the boats bunched up at all?
Either way, the lake demands respect quick that's for sure! Glad you guys had fun and were safe!
Lots were bunched up waiting on the downtown lock, but they were just sitting. And the water taxi/tour traffic. But, not much traffic where we were. Saw a ton of sailboats a little ways out. There was just the 4 of us cruising the lake a couple hundred yards a part mostly in a line. The rest of the “loop cruise” attendees were rafted up for a bit, but we opted not to wait around for that. Those were the bigger gofast boats or had cabins.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great pics - that looked like a fantastic trip, lots of experiences.

We are in Glen Canyon, ready to rock.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where do you guys put in?

--
We put in at City of Worth park right next to a golf course. Really nice 2 lane ramp. 62 miles around the loop.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Even in the rain this is still a fantastic trip and very inspiring to view the city in this manner.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In that shot the lake looks calm, but that definitely doesn't reflect what it was like when we first started out on it.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always hate telling people a number on the size waves because it's always "nah, those weren't 5' waves they were 1.5' waves and you're a wussy"
lol
It's always either "Those aren't that big" or "I can't believe you went out there!"

Up by Navy Pier, the waves from the boats stack up quick and make it nasty. The Lake itself a ways out may have been much nicer but multiple boats making ripples and those ripples reflecting off all the concrete walls from Navy Pier down the way south a ways can be very nasty.
I don't know for sure how big the waves were, but I do know that I had the boat completely out of the water at least once and Jerry said he did too. It was a wild ride for sure.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Waves and chop never render well in pics and videos.
That info should be available from a lake weather station or call Burham Harbor, they will tell you. They also issue advisories pretty quickly if things get rough.

I doubt the waves were greater than 2', our boats really don;t do too well above, as far as comfort, lol.

(there may be random swells every few minutes that will be 2-3 fold higher than average wave at the time)

Generally, in addition to wave height period is equally if not more important (in our boats) as short period is what will shake you up, make your teeth rattle.
SOme people use a "wave period/wave height > 2" rule - were you only go out if period to height ratio is GREATER than 2.
The greater the period the more "mellow" it feels, big swells are easier to plow through that short hard chop.

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is a little long... 19 1/2 minutes, so you may or may not be interested enough to sit through the whole thing. This was compiled from pics and videos from @jcyamahariders wife @BigAbe75s Wife @ar240owner's Wife and @scot71 . It was a great adventure and well worth doing if you live within a few hours.

I tried to get it in chronological order as much as possible, but I think a couple duplicate pics slipped in... and my wife says the order may be slightly out of whack. But, it's close enough... I doubt I go back and redo it, unless she says I have to. Lol

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great video Abe ! Definitely can't wait for next year ! I heard the next years tshirts will have the Blues brothers on it gotta have one 😂

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great video @BigAbe75 !!! Got to love those big bimini's when it is raining. Can't wait for next year.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome video @BigAbe75! Yeah, those big biminis must be really nice...LOL! I'm looking forward to next year.