• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 195S Build Thread WARNING PIC HEAVY

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Well story time.........
Last year at a local sand bar beach my sound system batteries died. Silly half drunken me decided to shut off sound system, and start boat to be sure boat would start when it was time to go (even though my batteries are not connected). 45 minutes later on dropping tide I went to shut boat off, and heard shells and pebbles being chopped up in impeller. Well shit. Fast forward two weeks to next outing and I noticed a rattling sound that's not normal, and the boat had bad cavitation getting on plane. Way worse then normal supercharged yamahas cavitation. We just dealt with it because it was the end of our season anyway (went out 1 more week and that's it). Fast forward to now...... I have the boat home and decide well Capt Leon's video is super simple...... Hahaha. Not. So our 2020 and up boats are not the same. So let's show what I did....

First you unhook steering rod and get it out way, and then shift rod on top of bucket. Super simple start. Then there are 4 bolts holding the bucket assembly on. Remove those and the whole bucket comes right off. Just like Leon's video. However, this is what you now see.....
View attachment 173529

A whole new housing needs to be removed. Ok no problem. It's only 4 more of the same size bolts, and 1 little one. Done....

View attachment 173531

One problem.... There's no pry points like there is on first housing. So I tried all kinds of tools with no luck. Ding ding let's buy a new tool....

View attachment 173532

It's actually a nail remover, but the 90° has is key here. I put it behind housing and pryed using transom. Boom popped right loose....
View attachment 173533

Now I have the whole Damn assembly in garage and ready for inspection. I don't see any major dings, chunks, or bends in impeller so that's good. However, wear ring has quite a bit of grooves or scratches in it....
View attachment 173534

That's where I'm currently stuck. No clue how to pull impeller out to get to wear ring, and Damn sure no clue how to get ring out. I'm taking it to a local jet ski shop tomorrow hoping they can get it right for me. Just gonna cost me a bit more then doing myself. I'm thinking though that all this daylight I can see between ring and impeller is not good
View attachment 173535
Keep us updated.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So here we go fellas. Here's the update. Got my parts back from a local jet ski mechanic. I dropped the impeller, wear ring, and housing off to him as one piece to get it done for me. Good news its back, but bad news..... Well here goes it.....
Screenshot_20220501-141532_Messages.jpg

Here she is all fixed and ready to go back in. Wear ring had to be dry iced to remove. New wear ring installed same process back in. Impeller was the problem. Solas, revo, and yamaha all back ordered till September at the earliest. So he took mine to a local refinishing shop to have redone. All good, and only cost me $350 out the door.
20220501_133920.jpg
Got her installed last Sunday with some fresh 5200 and red locktite. Decent looking bead right here on the seal. Wasn't bad too install. Had my son reach down in clean out port and turn shaft while I pushed in. Boom good to go.
20220501_141328.jpg
Second half all reinstalled and good to go. Everything tightened, and double checked. Moved on to changing my oil and filter. Well.... As per usual with me, and this particular company..... That didn't end well as usual. So here's a pic of something truly not right....
20220501_121321.jpg

See anything wrong here? Yeah clearly the wrong filter. So back story time..... I ordered a oil change kit from a very popular site used in this forum back in March 2021. Needless to say it never arrived. After many emails asking wtf I finally received my oil change kit mid season. Then 2-3 days later received another just like it. Mind you this site has drop down boxes asking what boat I own. So this is not my mistake here. So being mid season (and under 30 hours) I decided screw it ill wait till next spring to change oil. Fast forward to present day I evacuate all my oil in engine, and super proud moment remove filter without spilling a drop. Come to garage open new box, and WTF oil filter no where near correct. Apparently my 195S is not supercharged, and is a regular 1.8 according to this company. Needless to say..... I don't have anything good to say about them (not the first time I experienced super long ship times), but this just topped the cake for me. My luck honestly. Sooooooooo I flushed old filter with clean oil a couple times and reinstalled. They ain't gonna keep me off the water (still only 35 hours BTW on engine). Filled oil, and let her eat. Screw it... Guess I'll order a correct filter from somewhere that'll get it together 🤢SMH....

20220501_154759.jpg

There's the hours proof. So brother in law and I took her out for her test spin Monday....

20220502_170316.jpg

Happy to report she's fixed, but as usual for me.... She ain't 100%. I still have cavitation worse then when I got it 35 hours ago, but not as bad as before impeller fix. However, we could only hit 41mph on the top end whereas before we would hit 48. Not horribly concerned about that because the wife and I normally ride 25-30mph. However, where the Hell did it go. Question..... Could spark plugs be the issue. They are still factory (again 35 hours, and I do not winterize). Might change those out and see, but could also be the impeller resurfacing. Dunno
20220503_154453.jpg

Bring her home for a full foam cannon spa treatment, plug her in, and cover her up. That's where I'm at boys.

Currently considering:
*Wet Wolf Cone
*5200 seal intake grate
*Wetsounds 8"revo install in rear locations
*Move 6" wetsounds Revos to front locations
*Fatsac for Hopefully more boarding this season

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here we go fellas. Here's the update. Got my parts back from a local jet ski mechanic. I dropped the impeller, wear ring, and housing off to him as one piece to get it done for me. Good news its back, but bad news..... Well here goes it.....
View attachment 177238

Here she is all fixed and ready to go back in. Wear ring had to be dry iced to remove. New wear ring installed same process back in. Impeller was the problem. Solas, revo, and yamaha all back ordered till September at the earliest. So he took mine to a local refinishing shop to have redone. All good, and only cost me $350 out the door.
View attachment 177240
Got her installed last Sunday with some fresh 5200 and red locktite. Decent looking bead right here on the seal. Wasn't bad too install. Had my son reach down in clean out port and turn shaft while I pushed in. Boom good to go.
View attachment 177241
Second half all reinstalled and good to go. Everything tightened, and double checked. Moved on to changing my oil and filter. Well.... As per usual with me, and this particular company..... That didn't end well as usual. So here's a pic of something truly not right....
View attachment 177242

See anything wrong here? Yeah clearly the wrong filter. So back story time..... I ordered a oil change kit from a very popular site used in this forum back in March 2021. Needless to say it never arrived. After many emails asking wtf I finally received my oil change kit mid season. Then 2-3 days later received another just like it. Mind you this site has drop down boxes asking what boat I own. So this is not my mistake here. So being mid season (and under 30 hours) I decided screw it ill wait till next spring to change oil. Fast forward to present day I evacuate all my oil in engine, and super proud moment remove filter without spilling a drop. Come to garage open new box, and WTF oil filter no where near correct. Apparently my 195S is not supercharged, and is a regular 1.8 according to this company. Needless to say..... I don't have anything good to say about them (not the first time I experienced super long ship times), but this just topped the cake for me. My luck honestly. Sooooooooo I flushed old filter with clean oil a couple times and reinstalled. They ain't gonna keep me off the water (still only 35 hours BTW on engine). Filled oil, and let her eat. Screw it... Guess I'll order a correct filter from somewhere that'll get it together 🤢SMH....

View attachment 177243

There's the hours proof. So brother in law and I took her out for her test spin Monday....

View attachment 177244

Happy to report she's fixed, but as usual for me.... She ain't 100%. I still have cavitation worse then when I got it 35 hours ago, but not as bad as before impeller fix. However, we could only hit 41mph on the top end whereas before we would hit 48. Not horribly concerned about that because the wife and I normally ride 25-30mph. However, where the Hell did it go. Question..... Could spark plugs be the issue. They are still factory (again 35 hours, and I do not winterize). Might change those out and see, but could also be the impeller resurfacing. Dunno
View attachment 177245

Bring her home for a full foam cannon spa treatment, plug her in, and cover her up. That's where I'm at boys.

Currently considering:
*Wet Wolf Cone
*5200 seal intake grate
Order an Amsoil EAOM134, fits perfect in the 1.8l and is a better filter than the Yamaha: https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-motorcycle-oil-filters-eaom/?code=EAOM134-EA

Had the same thing happen last year, some of the online super parts stores just suck right now. Boat is looking good!

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Cainon01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
View attachment 177238

View attachment 177240
View attachment 177241
View attachment 177242

View attachment 177243

View attachment 177244

View attachment 177245

Currently considering:
*Wet Wolf Cone
*5200 seal intake grate
Fully support the 8" revos! Super happy I put them in mine. You wont be dissapointed

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fully support the 8" revos! Super happy I put them in mine. You wont be dissapointed
I may be doing that in rear only. Don't think they'll fit in the front areas due to the cushions

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I did the thing......
Wiggled under the boat to get up in the guts of my intake grate. Figured I'd go ahead and seal up everything. I was actually surprised at what I found. So here's a pic of what I saw....

20220510_152048.jpg

If you were to zoom in on that pic it appears there's no longer any sealant in the cracks. Not sure if it's normal, or not. However, let's take the opportunity to reseal them with some fresh 5200.

20220510_153328.jpg

Got out a bunch of latex gloves, and started the finger painting. It ain't gorgeous, but it's smooth. Best of all..... All gaps are now sealed. Don't know that it's gonna make a difference, but it's done.

Next up will probably be spark plugs, and jet cone

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well fellas..... My impeller ain't right. Remember my update of it being rebuilt, and my two person test trip? Cavitation still there and top speed 41?.....

Well we took first family outing Sunday, and it won't good. 6 people on board normal crew. Couldn't get on plane at all, and couldn't go over 10mph wide open throttle. Well shit. Got to beach, and thought well maybe it's the clean out port not set. Makes sense.... Reset and went out with two people..... Better. Same as test cavitation on start pretty bad, but got to 38mph. Spent a lovely day in the sun on the beach, and loaded up to go home. Boom.... Same thing wide open wouldn't get on plane wouldn't go over 10mph. It's gotta be the impeller. Nothing else it can be.
Sooooooooo...... Here we go. Researched my ass off. Read service manual and found tolerances for impeller to wear ring. Well boys I found the problem....

This is the gap between my resurfaced impeller, and new wear ring. Looks big as shit.... Well it is....
20220524_164104.jpg

This is the largest feeler gauge I have in the set..660. Now factory specs call for .20-.40 no more then .60.
20220524_165711.jpg
As you can see here my largest gauge fit right in and I could wiggle it up and down. That's not good, and definitely not within spec....
20220524_165725.jpg
View attachment 178846
So here we go. Solas upgrade incoming. Got old shit back apart, and new solas impeller installed......
Full step by step here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-yamaha-195-impeller-replacement.37855/

20220524_173317.jpg

Now that's how it should fit. My smallest feeler gauge won't even fit. This is good. Super tight.

20220524_174434.jpg

Got it all reinstalled with fresh 5200 and it's currently curing. I'll be test running it This Saturday (4 days cure time) to see if my problem is fixed. I went for the less start cavitation impeller, and will gladly sacrifice top speed. I'll update yall soon. Fingers crossed.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
So I did the thing......
Wiggled under the boat to get up in the guts of my intake grate. Figured I'd go ahead and seal up everything. I was actually surprised at what I found. So here's a pic of what I saw....

View attachment 177680

If you were to zoom in on that pic it appears there's no longer any sealant in the cracks. Not sure if it's normal, or not. However, let's take the opportunity to reseal them with some fresh 5200.

View attachment 177681

Got out a bunch of latex gloves, and started the finger painting. It ain't gorgeous, but it's smooth. Best of all..... All gaps are now sealed. Don't know that it's gonna make a difference, but it's done.

Next up will probably be spark plugs, and jet cone
A Lucky 13 is on my list of to do's, probably not until the off season.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hopefully this impeller will not require me to get a cone anymore. Before screwing up my factory impeller it was on the list, but with the solas they say it hurts adding the cone.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Taking the boat for a test run tomorrow afternoon. I will keep yall up to date on that.

Meanwhile..... My conext screen fell out of dash Sunday (just a bad boat day, but beer was cold at least). Here's what I saw when I got to boat ramp....
20220526_153040.jpg
Apparently those flat bolt heads you see around the screen... Yeah those are just glued to back of dash. Seems weird to me, but it is a yamaha so I'm going with that. Here's the back side view. Sooooooooo let's pull the dash and screen out.....
20220526_153129.jpg
Well this pic would probably have something to do with it. There are 5 bolts holding dash on. 2 were missing nuts (assuming vibrated loose), and 2 others were loose......
20220526_153145.jpg
So I unplugged 12v charger plug, and aux input plugs....
20220526_153600.jpg
Pulled off remaining nuts on dash, and out she comes. Here you can see the flat bolts on screen that were legit glued to back of dash. Apparently I'm missing one as well...
20220526_154112.jpg
Sooooooooo let's fix it. I used Gorilla Super Glue Gel (used it many times before. Strong shit). Globbed some into holes for flat bolts to grab, and went around the whole parameter as well.....
20220526_154821.jpg
Reinstalled screen, and used a pair of wood clamps to squeeze. Let that sit a couple hours....
20220526_154925.jpg
Headed to my local hardware store, and picked up some new hardware. I went with nylon insert lock nuts in 8/32 size (stock nuts do not lock BTW. Clearly 🤣). Those will suck putting back on, but she ain't coming back out. Also while at hardware store I got bolts to fix something else that's been bothering me.......
20220526_164717.jpg
Time to move these boat buckles. Strap is too close for comfort to the taillight. So picked up some 3/8"x3.5" stainless bolts with washers and lock nut to relocate them down to the cross frame bar to the left....
20220526_165240.jpg
Much better now, and still easily useable. Time to install the dash back....
20220526_174601.jpg
Lock nuts were definitely a bitch to install. Ya gotta wrench them on the whole Damn way, but dash is super tight now. From the words of a good ol redneck..... That ain't going nowhere 🤣🤣....
20220526_174621.jpg
So there we go boys. Dash is in and fixed, boat buckles are moved, and boat is currently plugged in and charging. When I get off tomorrow I'll be testing her in my local creek. Fingers crossed that all goes incredible. I'm very convinced it will......

Cainon01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Man I had my screen fall out also. Hopefully more people check theirs now. Dash bolts were also loose. Good luck on the test drive!

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well boys got her out on the local creek to test today. Here's how it went.....
Before Solas..... 15-25 seconds of cavitation 37-41 mph top speed.
After Solas..... 3 seconds cavitation 47-48mph

Same gear and same two people. So I'd say she's fixed boys. I mean she gets up and moves out. Here's a video. You can see at 3 seconds cavitation is gone. This was from no wake mode BTW....

Here's a pic of top speed (conext indicated of course, but that's all I ever look at)

20220528_143638.jpg

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Lucky 13 come will pretty much eliminate that cavitation. Had same issue in my 2014 192 (sho). Lucky 13 is so nice

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lucky 13 come will pretty much eliminate that cavitation. Had same issue in my 2014 192 (sho). Lucky 13 is so nice
See I've read with the Solas impeller that the L13 cone makes things worse. Maybe I'll have to give it a try

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
See I've read with the Solas impeller that the L13 cone makes things worse. Maybe I'll have to give it a try
It's adjustable so you can try all of the different rings to see which works best

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
🤣🤣🤣Well finally made boats name official. Daughters named her this after our second trip out when we bought her. Had a local guy make up the vinyl for me. Hit up @vinyl_252 on Instagram for super fast cheap vinyl if you in need. Went with handwritten font, and did grey center with black surround. Bitches love.....
20220610_153756.jpg

Billy John

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
🤣🤣🤣Well finally made boats name official. Daughters named her this after our second trip out when we bought her. Had a local guy make up the vinyl for me. Hit up @vinyl_252 on Instagram for super fast cheap vinyl if you in need. Went with handwritten font, and did grey center with black surround. Bitches love.....
View attachment 180143
Nice!! Graphics look great!

What did you use to remove the adhesive left behind from the "warning, may get water up your poop shoot" labels? We just named our boat finally too and need to get the space ready for the name graphics (named her "Hydrogen Bonding", I'm a chemist, and we spend a lot of time family bonding on the boat.)

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice!! Graphics look great!

What did you use to remove the adhesive left behind from the "warning, may get water up your poop shoot" labels? We just named our boat finally too and need to get the space ready for the name graphics (named her "Hydrogen Bonding", I'm a chemist, and we spend a lot of time family bonding on the boat.)

I took all our warning stickers off when she was brand new. So they just peeled right off no problem. If you have adhesive left over then goo b gone and a 3m eraser wheel will make the job super easy

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it helpful with load caused cavitation? What I mean is having a full crew and a little ballast causes a bit of cavitation on start up for me. Takes a bit for the boat speed to be enough to reduce the cavitation.