• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 195S Build Thread WARNING PIC HEAVY

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know you don’t use the cushion at all on the engine compartment, but with the sea deck on it, could you still attach and snap the cushion?

id like to have the option of either or!
Oh yeah for sure the cushion will snap in and stay in place no problem. We don't use it because I hate stepping on cushions. It's actually comfortable to sit on just the seadek pad as well if needed, but we never need to.

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Oh yeah for sure the cushion will snap in and stay in place no problem. We don't use it because I hate stepping on cushions. It's actually comfortable to sit on just the seadek pad as well if needed, but we never need to.
Awesome!

I’m doing a ton of research now and am intending on buying a 2023 AR195 (pending colors and no outrageous price hikes).

Weird question for ya. I too have a 2019 Silverado. The boat will mostly live in dry storage but like you, will be at my house for tinkering. I’m curious about driveway space. I have 41 feet of space to be comfortable and not be smack dab against the garage door, should be plenty right? I could obviously pull in, chalk it, etc but just curious.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome!

I’m doing a ton of research now and am intending on buying a 2023 AR195 (pending colors and no outrageous price hikes).

Weird question for ya. I too have a 2019 Silverado. The boat will mostly live in dry storage but like you, will be at my house for tinkering. I’m curious about driveway space. I have 41 feet of space to be comfortable and not be smack dab against the garage door, should be plenty right? I could obviously pull in, chalk it, etc but just curious.
Yeah you should be good to go. We have a 19 trail boss as the normal boat hauler. Boat is 22' from hitch to stern deck. So easily fits in one parking spot in our driveway with the boss beside it. If your driveway is single you should easily be able to back in and stay hooked up

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah you should be good to go. We have a 19 trail boss as the normal boat hauler. Boat is 22' from hitch to stern deck. So easily fits in one parking spot in our driveway with the boss beside it. If your driveway is single you should easily be able to back in and stay hooked up
The 22’ number was exactly what I was looking for. My High Country is pretty much right at 19’ so I’m right at 41’ with boat hooked. Obviously a sign that I have to get the boat now!

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 22’ number was exactly what I was looking for. My High Country is pretty much right at 19’ so I’m right at 41’ with boat hooked. Obviously a sign that I have to get the boat now!
If I remember correctly it's actually 21.5' long 🤣🤣. So yeah you definitely need the boat. We almost bought the high Country. Loved it, but all that damn chrome got me a Boss instead

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If I remember correctly it's actually 21.5' long 🤣🤣. So yeah you definitely need the boat. We almost bought the high Country. Loved it, but all that damn chrome got me a Boss instead
Love ours! Don't love the 5.3L. I'm at 38K miles and it is starting to burn oil at around 30% "oil life". Not just a little, had to put in a quart and a half to get it back to normal the other day.

I'm in Cincinnati so I'll likely do a little Ohio River boating, but mainly all of the lakes surrounding us in a 3-4 hour clip. Mostly Lake Norris in Tennessee. I'll definitely have to get new tires for the trailer. I want something way more radial and beefy than stock for the 3 hour trips. Are you liking the ones your brother in law got you? Can you share size and brand?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love ours! Don't love the 5.3L. I'm at 38K miles and it is starting to burn oil at around 30% "oil life". Not just a little, had to put in a quart and a half to get it back to normal the other day.

I'm in Cincinnati so I'll likely do a little Ohio River boating, but mainly all of the lakes surrounding us in a 3-4 hour clip. Mostly Lake Norris in Tennessee. I'll definitely have to get new tires for the trailer. I want something way more radial and beefy than stock for the 3 hour trips. Are you liking the ones your brother in law got you? Can you share size and brand?
Yeah definitely want to change tires for long trips. Mine are doing just fine. Not sure what size /brand they are, but next time I have the boat I'll try to remember to get a pic. They are cheapies, but better then stock at least. Really need to polish the wheels as well, but I'm slacking🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know you don’t use the cushion at all on the engine compartment, but with the sea deck on it, could you still attach and snap the cushion?

id like to have the option of either or!
Yes you can. I use the engine compartment cushion intermittently on top of the marine mat
You can barely see the snaps here- 1658339069602.jpeg

Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok guys so I'm a big dumb ass. Well not really, but today as I pulled old fusion to replace with the new one....... I found the problem. The ground wire had come unpinned from the harness. So I had no ground at all to the head unit. Well that'll do it for sure. So I repinned it in harness..... Bam works like it always did. It must have been loose, and this was why it originally locked me out. Probably kept turning on and off underway. So needless to say I don't need the new Fusion head unit so that'll get returned 🤣🤣🤣. I did also reseal the unit with thick silicone when I reinstalled.....
20220722_160612.jpg

20220722_161917.jpg

So all is well for now. I'll test it all weekend before I return the new unit, but learn from me 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok fellas I got her fixed yesterday. Officially a bad Fusion head unit. So AM/FM works and has full power. I hooked up a Aux cord to old unit, and at full dB volume I had barely 1/4 power. Bluetooth still not functioning. So I pulled it yet again and plugged in the new Fusion head unit. Boom everything works flawlessly. Just for shits and giggles... Tried old one again and nothing. Sooooooooo I went ahead and took the time to replace harness as well, and lengthen/clean up all wiring.....
20220725_175204.jpg

Zip tied it all up tight, and ready for reinstall
20220725_175823.jpg

Used dielectric grease on head unit connections, and all harnesses. Plugged her all back in, and working flawlessly. Used Right stuff gasket maker this time to seal back of head unit to swim deck, and tightened her all down. Final test before the end of the night worked great. I'll be detail cleaning the boat this evening, and tinkering a little bit more with amp tuning. Wife and I will be at the beach house this weekend thru the following weekend. So boat won't hit the water again for 3 weeks, but I'll keep yall updated as usual. Also will be making a on water distance test when she floats again.

Thanks to everyone that helped

Last edited:

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ok fellas I got her fixed yesterday. Officially a bad Fusion head unit. So AM/FM works and has full power. I hooked up a Aux cord to old unit, and at full dB volume I had barely 1/4 power. Bluetooth still not functioning. So I pulled it yet again and plugged in the new Fusion head unit. Boom everything works flawlessly. Just for shits and giggles... Tried old one again and nothing. Sooooooooo I went ahead and took the time to replace harness as well, and lengthen/clean up all wiring.....
So not having ground properly seated wasn’t the only issue!

Assuming that this is the factory installed head unit, was it under warranty?

The 195S has the big 7” screen with everything in one screen, right?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So not having ground properly seated wasn’t the only issue!

Assuming that this is the factory installed head unit, was it under warranty?

The 195S has the big 7” screen with everything in one screen, right?
Correct the falling out ground wire was the reason it lost power, but not the reason the Bluetooth or Aux didn't work properly. That is what we are assuming to be a short circuit in the mother board. Probably from water intrusion over time.
We took delivery of this boat in Sept 2019(2020 boat model). So technically she's almost 3 years old. Sound system went in on month 1. So it as well is 3 years old.
We only took the 1 year YES Warranty with our purchase. I've built many many cars, trucks, bikes, and boats over my years. So I'm very mechanical. As well as my brother in law is a boat mechanic for the company I work for (marine construction crane operator). So between the two of us we can handle it. However, I highly doubt yamaha would have warranted the Fusion head unit. Fusion only offers a 1 year warranty on the unit. So for $325 I gladly paid it 🤣🤣🤣
Correct the 195S has the 7" connext with GPS, and all functions inside it. It's a remote for the head unit using nmea connections

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well tackled something unexpected yesterday. My weatherstripping in engine hatch finally gave out (the real crappy glued on one from yamaha). It had been starting to come unglued for awhile in several spots. Yesterday I guess it finally gave up for good. So I decided to do the @jeffsjetboat pipe weatherseal to the bay. In this pic you can see all that's left is the hard trim. The hatch started a bit of a wiggle when you step on it. So it needed to be fixed.
20220726_143128.jpg

Off to Lowes I went. I picked up 2 pieces 6'long of pipe insulation with the adhesive. Jeff suggested getting the expensive ones ($10vs$4) so that's exactly what I did.....
20220726_142844.jpg

Sku if anyone needs it...
20220726_142850.jpg
Only materials needed were these. Acetone is too clean all mating surfaces before adhesive .....
20220726_143057.jpg

So it begins. I dry fitted it on first with adhesive tape still on. Started at engine cover latch on bottom and ran it up one side. Cut with scissors at top center. Did the same thing on the other side.
20220726_143503.jpg

Super simple install. Took total maybe 15minutes, and $20 (I already had acetone and materials). Here's the finished look....
20220726_144826.jpg

Hatch is now super tight to close. Not hard, but you gotta push down now. So super tight fit. Also when stepping on closed hatch it now feels so solid. No wiggling at all. Best part.....nothing is visible with hatch closed. So you'll never know it wasn't stock. Now for what everyone wants to know.... Yes engine noise is decreased for sure. I didn't take it out on water, but just idle alone is quieter with some baby revs as well. Definitely will keep yall updated when she floats 3 weekends from now (Damn Beach house 🤣🤣).

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Well tackled something unexpected yesterday. My weatherstripping in engine hatch finally gave out (the real crappy glued on one from yamaha). It had been starting to come unglued for awhile in several spots. Yesterday I guess it finally gave up for good. So I decided to do the @jeffsjetboat pipe weatherseal to the bay. In this pic you can see all that's left is the hard trim. The hatch started a bit of a wiggle when you step on it. So it needed to be fixed.
View attachment 183730

Off to Lowes I went. I picked up 2 pieces 6'long of pipe insulation with the adhesive. Jeff suggested getting the expensive ones ($10vs$4) so that's exactly what I did.....
View attachment 183731

Sku if anyone needs it...
View attachment 183732
Only materials needed were these. Acetone is too clean all mating surfaces before adhesive .....
View attachment 183733

So it begins. I dry fitted it on first with adhesive tape still on. Started at engine cover latch on bottom and ran it up one side. Cut with scissors at top center. Did the same thing on the other side.
View attachment 183734

Super simple install. Took total maybe 15minutes, and $20 (I already had acetone and materials). Here's the finished look....
View attachment 183735

Hatch is now super tight to close. Not hard, but you gotta push down now. So super tight fit. Also when stepping on closed hatch it now feels so solid. No wiggling at all. Best part.....nothing is visible with hatch closed. So you'll never know it wasn't stock. Now for what everyone wants to know.... Yes engine noise is decreased for sure. I didn't take it out on water, but just idle alone is quieter with some baby revs as well. Definitely will keep yall updated when she floats 3 weekends from now (Damn Beach house 🤣🤣).
That might just have answered a question I had. Want to deaden the engine noise, but the hatch already has a rubber seal as show above. Is everyone putting the new pipe insulation/seal over the old? @Farny, I think you used a different material, a D shaped tube. Did you also leave the original in place?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That might just have answered a question I had. Want to deaden the engine noise, but the hatch already has a rubber seal as show above. Is everyone putting the new pipe insulation/seal over the old? @Farny, I think you used a different material, a D shaped tube. Did you also leave the original in place?
So from factory there should be 2 seals. The hard one shown in my first picture, and then a rubber one glued to that. My rubber one fell off. So I replaced with this foam. However, if you still have both seals then you could add this foam over both seals for even more insulation.
I belive Farny did the garage door seal version

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did the pipe insulation over the stock runner seal. Ran it around the lower edge of the compartment and let the upper just seal against it. @kgower

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Hoyt

So if all goes according to plan I’ll be bringing my 2022 AR195 (green) home from the dealer on Tuesday. On Saturday I randomly text my local dealer and asked if they had heard anything about the 2023 release dates and he said nope but I do have a 2022 AR195 that the guy it was for ran into financing problems with.

I was ecstatic! I went up right away. Checked everything out. MSRP + $2k in freight and delivery. Gave a deposit to hold until financing was done. All it needs to be ready is a good clean and wash and battery install so Tuesday seems reasonable.

With that being said I have a ton of stuff I want to do with it, but also want to soak up the rest of the summer first.

Short term list (big trip 2nd weekend of September I’d like to be done before):
Stoltz bow roller
Sea deck on the step thru and seat
Replace head unit with kicker head unit
Install an amp to push factory polk speakers

Long term list (before next season):
Add a battery with switch and charger
Tower speakers (add another amp)
Replace factory speakers with kickers
Add a transom table/umbrella mount
Add a transom audio remote
Soundproof piping

So I think I know what I’m doing with the amp install, but I always appreciate someone checking my work here! See diagram below and tell me if my plan makes sense. I think I’m set on going with a KMA Series 4-channel marine amplifier — 65 watts RMS x 4 mounted under the helm.

9AC38173-40D3-491B-B775-5CC2A82A436D.jpeg

Follow up questions:

If I know I’m adding tower speakers in the future am I better off trying to find a good marine 6 channel amp, or is my thinking good on two amps (one for cabin speakers Qty 4 and one for tower speakers Qty 2)?

Do you think I’ll be ok with one battery the rest of the season if it’s just the single amp to push the polks already installed? I’ll of course keep a jump pack but would be thrilled if I could make batter a winter project.

I’m going to have way more questions when it comes to my second amp install and tower speakers, but I figure that can wait and keep you entertained over winter!

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Alpine 6 channel https://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/r-series-amplifiers/r-a90s
works well with stock speakers and additional tower speakers. 4@75 watts and 2@150. I like that it is only one Amp to install. Although if you want to install a sub in the future will likely need another Amp anyway so might get two four channel amps in prep for that. I love my step up with this one Amp and wetsounds tower speakers. It sound pretty good and don't feel the need for a sub. I ran the ground and power through the engine compartment and up the starboard side to the head unit where the Amp is located. I have not had any problem running this setup with one battery but I do put the battery on a charger after each outing.

Jashworth03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Alpine 6 channel https://www.alpine-electronics.co.za/p/Products/r-series-amplifiers/r-a90s
works well with stock speakers and additional tower speakers. 4@75 watts and 2@150. I like that it is only one Amp to install. Although if you want to install a sub in the future will likely need another Amp anyway so might get two four channel amps in prep for that. I love my step up with this one Amp and wetsounds tower speakers. It sound pretty good and don't feel the need for a sub. I ran the ground and power through the engine compartment and up the starboard side to the head unit where the Amp is located. I have not had any problem running this setup with one battery but I do put the battery on a charger after each outing.
Excellent!

Im not positive on my route of the wires yet, but I started to run out of space in my diagram so I moved them to the left!

I like that Apline amp but noticed it wasn’t marine grade. Is that a concern?

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not for me. I operate in freshwater only and under my dash is always a dry compartment on my boat. never anything wet in there and the Amp is off the floor on a vertical board under the dash cutout