• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 195S Bilge Pump and taking on water

billy_baroo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi all -
I have a 2022 Yamaha 195S that I recently acquired and started operating. I have noticed that the boat almost always takes on some water when I operate it even though the plug in the bottom of the engine compartment near the bilge pump and the two plugs around the jet port are closed. The ski locker frequently takes in some water - even though the plug is closed. I think my Rule RM500B is shot because I don’t ever see any water being pumped out the bilge port. Is it normal for these boats to take on water?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1) Yes, these boats take on water - but there are many easy options to seal the fault points up. Search this forum for additional threads on this common issue.
2) Unplug your ski locker and fuel locker drains (located in engine compartment on bow side wall) and keep them open at all times. That will allow all water to flow back to the bilge pump.
3) Speaking of bilge pumps, the Yamaha engineers install our pumps at the lowest point in the engine compartment, not the lowest point in the boat. While this probably made sense to them, and it is an easy-ish place to access for replacement, it's not the best for getting all the water out.

So if you trailer your boat and you're pulling it out at the ramp, pause for a moment when the boat is pointed up the ramp at a severe angle and pop open your drain plug(s) on the back. Alternatively, use a block under your trailer jack to raise the boat up as high as possible.

If you store on a lift, and want a dry boat, the only real way to do that is to find a way to lift the boat or suck the water out (secondary bilge pump or shop vac).

billy_baroo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If my bilge pump is dead (as I presume) is it difficult to replace? Any insight into how to get down there?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If my bilge pump is dead (as I presume) is it difficult to replace? Any insight into how to get down there?
IF it's dead, you'll have to monkey through it. Your boat is slightly different than mine - where my bilge is visible in the engine compartment, yours might be somewhere else? You can track the bilge water exit hose from the side of the boat (starboard, large hole) to the pump.

BUT... I would fill up your engine compartment with a bit of water (transom plugs in) off the hose and see if you can get it to pump automatically. If it doesn't, check for frayed wires or blown fuses first. I would have a hard time believing a pump installed in 2022 is dead already, they're pretty hardy.

billy_baroo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IF it's dead, you'll have to monkey through it. Your boat is slightly different than mine - where my bilge is visible in the engine compartment, yours might be somewhere else? You can track the bilge water exit hose from the side of the boat (starboard, large hole) to the pump.

BUT... I would fill up your engine compartment with a bit of water (transom plugs in) off the hose and see if you can get it to pump automatically. If it doesn't, check for frayed wires or blown fuses first. I would have a hard time believing a pump installed in 2022 is dead already, they're pretty hardy.
I can hear it is receiving current and feel it if that makes sense - but I don’t see any water being pumped out the bilge port - I had someone watch while I blew air into the port and they confirmed they can see bubbles from the pump - so pretty there is no obstruction and that the pump is dead.

billy_baroo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I can see the pump when I open the engine compartment - it’s straight down. There is one large hose in the way.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get a cheap water alarm from Amazon that operates on a 9v battery hang the sensor 2" above the bilge pick up. This should be a mandatory item like having a flair or life preserver

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I can hear it is receiving current and feel it if that makes sense - but I don’t see any water being pumped out the bilge port - I had someone watch while I blew air into the port and they confirmed they can see bubbles from the pump - so pretty there is no obstruction and that the pump is dead.
Weird, well replacements are cheap!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you pull the pump out and check it for debris? To do this you have to push in on the tabs, one each side, to release the pump from the filter cage / mount. Once you have it out o perhaps before you’ll see a spot on the side that says push to test, try that to see if the pump functions.

To reinstall push the pump back into the filter screen and make sure it’s locked into the tabs.

After pulling the pump and reinstalling it, put the plugs in your boat and then fill the engine bay up with water, once the water is over the top of the pump it should turn on automatically, if it doesn’t hit the manual switch and see if it pumps the water out. If it works manually but not automatically you’ll need to find the fuse for the auto function, it’s usually near the battery in a single fuse holder that’s mounted to the bulkhead in the battery compartment close to the battery switch. The bilge pump has two separate sources of power, one from the fuse I just mentioned, and the other from the manual switch at the helm, on my boat there is a circuit breaker next to the manual switch.

As far as installing another bilge pump at the lowest point, look in the aft bilge by the clean out plug. I put one in this way

You need to seal the clean out tray after it’s installed by running a bead of silicone / seal and peel around the perimeter this is where the majority of water usually comes from. You’re going to need to pull the clean out tray to install your second bilge pump or just to look where to install it, plus you should check the hose clamps and such that are down in that area for tightness.

Another area to check is the anchor locker drain, check out @drewkaree ’s post on it here
My posts begin at #118, you’ll see how that drain on my boat was just shoved in with no sealant and water was leaking around that plug and getting in through the gap between the top cap and the hull. My anchor locker drain is very close to the water line so water was constantly flowing in and out of the anchor locker so after replacing the anchor locker drain I put a removable plug in the drain to keep the water out post #125 in that same thread.

Once you’ve either checked or replaced the anchor locker drain and before you seal up the clean out tray, you will want to check the deck drain scupper nut for snugness. A lot of folks including myself have swapped out the oem / factory plastic scupper for a stainless steel one to make sure it doesn’t break and make for a very bad day on the water.

Some of the cup holders on your boat may drain into the bilge as well. You may want to pull the cup holders and seal them to the boat as well, I was getting rain water / wash down water into the bilge from around the unsealed cup holders, check my post #4188 here.

After sealing up the clean out tray and checking / fixing the the anchor locker drain you should have a pretty dry bilge after a day on the water, it was a fair amount of work on my boat because I had a couple of other sources that you don’t have, but now I do not get any water out of my boat at the end of the day.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have a "house battery" installed? check the bilge pump connector with a meter, switch on, switch off.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Where is the lowest point on our boats if I wanted to add a second bilge?
On my 212S it seems to be somewhere below the anchor locker - because if the boat's level and the transom plug is out, no water comes out. But if it's jacked high, water comes out.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This description needs to be explained better. If you can "hear" it receiving current, and feel it, then that would contradict your suspicions that the pump is dead. Those things wouldn't occur.

@FSH 210 Sport mentioned removing it for inspection. You need to do that. Just because bubbles are coming through doesn't mean it's not restricted.

Lastly, you haven't mentioned testing the pump, only that you have water, and that you haven't noticed the pump spitting it out the side. It's entirely possible for both of those things to be true, AND your pump is operating, and you indicate that it sounds and feels like power is getting to the pump.

Something may be jammed in the pump, stopping discharge, so since you have to remove it to replace it anyway, that should be your very next thing to do before anything else.