• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2024 season upgrades/mods

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I made an appointment this week to have a two-piece bow/stern cover made at N.E.W. Canvas in Neenah WI the first week of May and then to B&C Custom Clean (same building as the canvas guys) to have the exterior detailed. I’m considering adding an onboard battery charger and a second bilge pump but am in my preliminary research stage on these two topics.

Boat comes out of storage the last week of April and first stop is at the dealer to get the oil changed, new spark plugs, and the Connext screen replaced under warranty.

So, what upgrades/mods do others have for this coming season?

Last edited:
-I have some canvas in the works like you do, have the oem mooring cover modified to fit over bow roller, get a camper canvas made for the bow, clear panels made to enclose the T top helm on three sides.
-Get the hard top mounted, VHF radio, spreader lights, map lights, possibly a light bar.
-Mount remote gps antenna / compass puck
-Install the swim deck cushions I bought from JBP.
-Add some 12V power points and USB charger ports around the boat.
-Make all compartments lockable
-Fix all the chips and scratches in the gel coat
-Measure intake tract restriction with; OEM air filter, no air filter, with RIVA air filter, possibly remove ribbons and test, just to quantify and document.

Definitely get an on board battery charger in your boat!

Here‘s how I put the second bilge pump in my boat; https://jetboaters.net/threads/additional-bilge-pump.37155/ If I was to do it again I’d probably run the discharge right out the back to keep the run shorter. Mounting the pump on the T base plate in the aft bilge makes it very easy to check the pump screen for debris each season, and if you get some water in the bilge you can put the nose high by running at 14 mph and that aft pump will remove the majority of it.

picked up another amp and need to plan out that install. currently have a 6ch running 9 spkrs, adding a 5ch will help with zones and give me a bit more power.
this will be season #5 on the orig tires, so looking to replace those.
picked up a knock off ocean south bimini extension that i need to set up and figure out which cup holders/rod holders/combos to order and where to install.

Swapping out the old dot led light for new tron style leds for a seemless glow instead of the harsh dots you get at night with the old ones. Capture.JPG
old

tron.JPG
new

- More ballast, thinking ~400-500 lbs of steel shot
- Thinking about adding Phender Pros as well: Amazon Link
- Maybe another surf board for the collection

VHF radio and front sunshade, assuming the one I ordered and paid for when I bought the boat never materializes. Maybe side scan and front scan and another screen. Not sure about that I’m old school when it comes to fishing. I kinda don’t see the thrill of seeing a particular fish in HD and dropping an anvil on its head.

-I have some canvas in the works like you do, have the oem mooring cover modified to fit over bow roller, get a camper canvas made for the bow, clear panels made to enclose the T top helm on three sides.
-Get the hard top mounted, VHF radio, spreader lights, map lights, possibly a light bar.
-Mount remote gps antenna / compass puck
-Install the swim deck cushions I bought from JBP.
-Add some 12V power points and USB charger ports around the boat.
-Make all compartments lockable
-Fix all the chips and scratches in the gel coat
-Measure intake tract restriction with; OEM air filter, no air filter, with RIVA air filter, possibly remove ribbons and test, just to quantify and document.

Definitely get an on board battery charger in your boat!

Here‘s how I put the second bilge pump in my boat; https://jetboaters.net/threads/additional-bilge-pump.37155/ If I was to do it again I’d probably run the discharge right out the back to keep the run shorter. Mounting the pump on the T base plate in the aft bilge makes it very easy to check the pump screen for debris each season, and if you get some water in the bilge you can put the nose high by running at 14 mph and that aft pump will remove the majority of it.

What swim deck cushions are you referring to?

What swim deck cushions are you referring to?

I got them from JBP a while ago, I don’t see them on their website now.

10-4, I desperately need to upgrade my stereo system this year, as well as add an additional bilge pump.

10-4, I desperately need to upgrade my stereo system this year, as well as add an additional bilge pump.

Right on…. Have a look at my extra bilge pump thread, the only thing I’d do differently would be to put the discharge thru hull on the swim step instead of running it up to where the oem one is, less restriction. But by having the longer hose with the way I ran it makes it relatively easy to pull it out for inspection. If you do get water in the bilge you can put the boat on the hump, 14-15 mph and get all the water back by the drain plug and that extra bilge pump can get the majority of the water out.

Not sure what my new to me MY19 242 limited SE would need. But I'm ready to 100% cut ties with New york so the only mod I'll do is tow it 22+ hours from New York to Florida and put it in dry storage there ($700 a month) But the idea is to have the boat closer to my city in Colombia so I can use it more and still make the budget work. I'm thinking a good strategy is to get my captains license and take people out to offset some costs.

I made an appointment this week to have a two-piece bow/stern cover made at N.E.W. Canvas in Neenah WI the first week of May and then to B&C Custom Clean (same building as the canvas guys) to have the exterior detailed. I’m considering adding an onboard battery charger and a second bilge pump but am in my preliminary research stage on these two topics.

Boat comes out of storage the last week of April and first stop is at the dealer to get the oil changed, new spark plugs, and the Connext screen replaced under warranty.

Have dealer order that Connext screen and have it waiting on you!

Last edited:
Cup holders in the top step of the swim platform, new clamps for the battery posts to make hookup easier, 3D print a mounting plate for a new head unit, add speakers behind the swim deck seats, add an amp, and possibly (probably) some further fiberglass work on my keel before dropping it in this year. If no further fiberglass work is needed, I'll be adding a keel guard.

Trolling motor, chartplotter/fishfinder, vhf radio. Completely different list from what I was expecting two weeks ago. Not looking forward to installing another transducer, may just have that done.

Last edited:
I will be replacing the entire windshield and frame on my 2010 242 with a set from a 2017 240 before next season. Since the replacement set is taller and longer I will need to cut the frame and have replacement glass / plastic side windows made as well. Why bother? Because I still have it from a parts boat and it will be a lot less expensive than just buying a new oem windshield (just the glass in front of the driver, it shattered almost two years ago, yamaha wants $1,300, over $1,400 including tax, for it and another $500 to install it).

My only other upgrades / modifications will be to the boat trailer and tow vehicle, I will be a adding a wireless camera system so I can see what’s behind the boat when I’m towing it and if time permits I will paint the brake calipers and drums.

Last edited:

What are they charging you for the covers? Just bought my boat new last fall and was trying to avoid the snaps but I am a fan of bow and stern covers for trips back and forth to the lake

What are they charging you for the covers? Just bought my boat new last fall and was trying to avoid the snaps but I am a fan of bow and stern covers for trips back and forth to the lake

Quote was a little under $1900 - installing snaps and the two covers.

Here are a few pics of some of the mods/upgrades I mentioned earlier. I totally forgot about the new horn.
Now I am thinking about installing the wireless camera behind the tow point on the tower. I am hoping the groove the rope sits in is taller than 3.25” but I use the tow point so little that i don’t mind giving it up for a rear/top down view of what’s behind my boat and trailer while on the road.
IMG_4622.jpegIMG_4621.jpegIMG_4620.jpegIMG_4619.jpegIMG_4618.jpeg

Back