• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

210 FSH "Perfect" transducer setup - What is it?

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Sorry I have been away from anything water with the exception of my Craig Lake SP kayak expedition that I just returned home from. I have been at it solid with a Home makeover getting the house ready for sale since May, and it goes on the market Monday. Next week the FSH goes in the water- I will take pics and post the 2 transducer install. Garmin does make a y splitter and the solix auto sensed and combined the transducers and I am eagerly wanting to try out the new setup. Here are a few pics of the trip, nasty portages in and out, but a beautiful place. We were greeted by a Full moon and great stargazing at night.

Attachments

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Here is a couple of Pics of the dual transducer setup. I can send more of the install if there's interest but I basically used the existing hole location (had to widen it for the Solix connector) on the Starboard side even though it was below the water line. Even though not being symmetric, I opted to locate the Port side side transducer thru hull above the waterline. I used the Humminbird Y cable and it auto detected left and right with no setup required on my part. I may add a thru-hull transducer at a later date as I can add a Y cable to the Transducer Y cable and in theory the head unit should recognize all three. DTinst.jpegMega18.jpeg
Second pic location is on a the steep edge of a drop off from 15ft down to 40ft and the weedbed on the left at the drop. I was trolling an 8inch Muskie lure basically 15-25ft back as they like to hit lures in the jetwash area at around 3.6-4-1mph.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a couple of Pics of the dual transducer setup. I can send more of the install if there's interest but I basically used the existing hole location (had to widen it for the Solix connector) on the Starboard side even though it was below the water line. Even though not being symmetric, I opted to locate the Port side side transducer thru hull above the waterline. I used the Humminbird Y cable and it auto detected left and right with no setup required on my part. I may add a thru-hull transducer at a later date as I can add a Y cable to the Transducer Y cable and in theory the head unit should recognize all three. View attachment 186567View attachment 186568
Second pic location is on a the steep edge of a drop off from 15ft down to 40ft and the weedbed on the left at the drop. I was trolling an 8inch Muskie lure basically 15-25ft back as they like to hit lures in the jetwash area at around 3.6-4-1mph.
Clean install!

Dang! That’s a fast trolling speed you are using! And close to the boat ! Apparently muskies are the honey badger of the water!

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did and it worked really well. Except I was not happy with the lack of rigidity in the mount. Reverse thrust was enough to cause the transducer to rotate down.
So I went with a third iteration. I mounted it to the bottom of the articulating keel with some aluminum angles. I am really happy with this installation. The imaging is very clear. I am not too concerned about hitting anything it only hangs about an inch below the solid keel.
Some time in the future, I will probably switch over to stainless steel angles and trim the bottom of the froward part of the articulating keel to give some room for the wire and get the top of the transducer against the bottom of the articulating keel.
Here is a how it looks at speed. It was rough on the river, but the scans were pretty clean.
IMG_6804.jpeg

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think I have finally arrived on a transducer installation.
I went with dual GT56UHD mounted on the ride plate on either side of the keel.
I tapped the ride plate to accept 10-32 screws.
I am happy with this installation because the side scan has a clear view and the transducers are protected as much as possible from impacts.IMG_7966.jpegIMG_7967.jpegIMG_7973.jpegIMG_8019.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

OntheWater77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the exact same placement of my 2 all in one Humminbird Solix transducers and am happy with them. I get a good image on both sides at up to about 7 mph for SI and DI.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh, I'm going to
I think I have finally arrived on a transducer installation.
I went with dual GT56UHD mounted on the ride plate on either side of the keel.
I tapped the ride plate to accept 10-32 screws.
I am happy with this installation because the side scan has a clear view and the transducers are protected as much as possible from impacts.View attachment 208022View attachment 208023View attachment 208024View attachment 208025
Ohh, i didn't realize you could use dual GT56's. Did you just use the combiner cable and then in software select which was right/left?

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh, I'm going to

Ohh, i didn't realize you could use dual GT56's. Did you just use the combiner cable and then in software select which was right/left?
I bought the Y-Cable (12-pin Transducer Y-cable | Garmin). It is labeled Port & Starboard.
Everything worked when I connected the plugs.

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought the Y-Cable (12-pin Transducer Y-cable | Garmin). It is labeled Port & Starboard.
Everything worked when I connected the plugs.
Dang that is a game changer, for some reason I assumed you needed their dual in hull transducer setup to make that work... I'm hoping for boat #2 next year and then this will be the way I do it for sure.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I finally found a mount location that solved losing sonar at higher speeds (30 mph).
First I found this video done by Lowrance.
It demonstrates how an air foil develops at speed with an unprotected sonar mount, causing a loss of sonar readings.
It was very tuff to find a protected mount spot on my FSH210.
But, I did find this location:
IMG_20231020_114703892.jpg
You can see how well it is tucked in.
I used a Nano tape to secure it. Be sure your alignment is set before you secure. It's got a very quick, strong hold. Also leave an exposed extension of the tape. By pulling that the tape reliefs it's strong grip.
You can see the extra extension in this photo:
IMG_20231020_114742384.jpg
Here's a screen shot of my sonar at 29.6 mph.
Sonar at Almost 30 mph.png
There is an issue though. It's going to require 2 side imaging sonars to see both left and right side views. For now, I've set it up with a reversed left image, because the sonar is also mounted backwards (wire coming out the rear), which is acceptable according to Lowrance. They include options to set it up for reverse mount, and left or right imaging only.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally found a mount location that solved losing sonar at higher speeds (30 mph).
First I found this video done by Lowrance.
It demonstrates how an air foil develops at speed with an unprotected sonar mount, causing a loss of sonar readings.
It was very tuff to find a protected mount spot on my FSH210.
But, I did find this location:
View attachment 210540
You can see how well it is tucked in.
I used a Nano tape to secure it. Be sure your alignment is set before you secure. It's got a very quick, strong hold. Also leave an exposed extension of the tape. By pulling that the tape reliefs it's strong grip.
You can see the extra extension in this photo:
View attachment 210542
Here's a screen shot of my sonar at 29.6 mph.
View attachment 210541
There is an issue though. It's going to require 2 side imaging sonars to see both left and right side views. For now, I've set it up with a reversed left image, because the sonar is also mounted backwards (wire coming out the rear), which is acceptable according to Lowrance. They include options to set it up for reverse mount, and left or right imaging only.
A lot of us here have ours mounted in that location, either side. Also I would not personally rely on Nano Tape, if it does come lose or you strike something in the water floating it is going to thrash around back by your steering, etc.. Typically we bolt through the ride plate with stainless steel bolts, lock washers and lock nuts. Mount to a bracket then mount to the ride plate. I have mine extended down about 1.5 inch on a custom bracket and I can read both sides at speed, which negates having to have two. 5% or so angle off bottom of keel is optimum.

@TeenGee s install a few responses back is about the cleanest install I have seen.

Last edited: