• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 FSH (or center console) musts!!

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally pulling the trigger and upgrading to a 255 FSH Sport E from my AR210…should be picking ‘er up on Thursday. I’ve read tons of pointers, tips, and tricks. Definitely will be getting a trolling motor among a few other things.

What would all you center console owners consider a “must have” that doesn’t come standard?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Finally pulling the trigger and upgrading to a 255 FSH Sport E from my AR210…should be picking ‘er up on Thursday. I’ve read tons of pointers, tips, and tricks. Definitely will be getting a trolling motor among a few other things.

What would all you center console owners consider a “must have” that doesn’t come standard?
Anchor
A proper net.
A proper straw hat!

You’ll want to go through and check all the rod holders to make sure they have drain lines that either dump onto the deck or go directly overboard. Same with the cup holders On both the cup holders and the rod holders you will want to pull them and seal underneath them. On my 210 FSH I found that the very front cup holders drained directly into the bilge so I pulled them out and pit plugs on the nipples, then sealed them with three bond 1211 when I put them back in. I also found that other than the two forward rod holders the rest drained into the storage compartments. None of the rod holders or cup holders were sealed.

In the clean out tray, get some seal and peel and lay a bead between the the clean out tray and the main hull. A lot of water gets in the hull here as it is not sealed well at all from the factory. Before you seal it you may want to take it off and get into the aft bilge and check all the hose clamps and spray it down with silicone spray. When you seal the clean out tray, don’t glue it down, put it on first then put a bead around the perimeter.

Check the anchor locker drain as well to make it is sealed on the inside as well as the outside. This is another place water gets in.

Check the 5 gallon bucket locker hatch to make sure it is snug, not tight, against the gasket. Pour water in there to make sure it drains properly. Do the same in the head compartment. Some owners have reported the floor drains in these compartments don’t drain properly

This is probably not what you had in mind but if you address these things in the early hours of ownership you won’t be wondering where the water is coming from. Nothing like pulling the plug at the end of the day and very little if any water comes out.

It’s a sexy beast I’m sure you’re headed for a summer of fun!

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trim tabs
bees wax for livewell standpipe & clean out ports
a cutting board to glue to top of cooler for bait and cleaning abundant catch
ice for the cooler for that catch.
Eventually a 3in1 transponder for sidescan (I haven’t achieved this yet)
Cheers

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anchor
A proper net.
A proper straw hat!

You’ll want to go through and check all the rod holders to make sure they have drain lines that either dump onto the deck or go directly overboard. Same with the cup holders On both the cup holders and the rod holders you will want to pull them and seal underneath them. On my 210 FSH I found that the very front cup holders drained directly into the bilge so I pulled them out and pit plugs on the nipples, then sealed them with three bond 1211 when I put them back in. I also found that other than the two forward rod holders the rest drained into the storage compartments. None of the rod holders or cup holders were sealed.

In the clean out tray, get some seal and peel and lay a bead between the the clean out tray and the main hull. A lot of water gets in the hull here as it is not sealed well at all from the factory. Before you seal it you may want to take it off and get into the aft bilge and check all the hose clamps and spray it down with silicone spray. When you seal the clean out tray, don’t glue it down, put it on first then put a bead around the perimeter.

Check the anchor locker drain as well to make it is sealed on the inside as well as the outside. This is another place water gets in.

Check the 5 gallon bucket locker hatch to make sure it is snug, not tight, against the gasket. Pour water in there to make sure it drains properly. Do the same in the head compartment. Some owners have reported the floor drains in these compartments don’t drain properly

This is probably not what you had in mind but if you address these things in the early hours of ownership you won’t be wondering where the water is coming from. Nothing like pulling the plug at the end of the day and very little if any water comes out.

It’s a sexy beast I’m sure you’re headed for a summer of fun!
On second thought…

Nah, excellent info. A lot of these boats have elusive draining/seal issues. Thanks so much for the specifics!

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depending on who's coming with you, your number one investment to extend your range/time on the water is a porta-john under the center console.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depending on who's coming with you, your number one investment to extend your range/time on the water is a porta-john under the center console.
Omg’dah! I can’t believe I forgot that! Spot on! I bought it mainly for the ladies, but I‘ve had two emergency full blow downs and I was very happy I had that on board!

UBROL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
IMG_6334.jpeg
is this what we’re talking about? See the cup holder drain line (white hose) coming from left to right. It terminates in the compartment behind the console with all the electronics. Is this right? Please tell me the cup holder drain guy is no longer employed by Yamaha. Please tell me that the buoyancy and integrity of this $100k+ boat doesn’t hinge on this?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well I’ll tell you…. If you eat too many mixed nuts there is about a 12 hour fuse, when that fuse goes off you have maybe 5 mins.

MBrand

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

Some of the following are must haves, others are nice to have. I added a Garmin Kraken, with it mounted on the starboard side so it didn't interfere with the live well door. Moved the Yamaha 9 inch screen up into T-top along with VHF Radio - Garmin 215 with AIS, then put a Garmin 1243 MFD where the Yamaha screen was. Halo20+ radar, Sionyx Nightwave and Garmin GC-200 camera facing to the rear in lieu of a mirror. Fell MOB+ wireless engine kill switch so you don't have to be physically connected to your cutoff. Mounted Molle panels and still adding some to hold fire extinguisher, knife, flash light, 1st aid, chamois, and binoculars.
Must haves: 2nd anchor, 5 gallon bucket, porta potty with tp, wet wipes and chemicals - kept in storage bag that comes with the ports potty, boat hook, flash light, knife (to cut rope, etc. that may foul an impeller) Coast Guard safety kit, then some water tight bags with blankets, another one with sweat shirts, rain gear, hats, water bottles, towels, tool kit, first aid kit and sunscreen.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Some of the following are must haves, others are nice to have. I added a Garmin Kraken, with it mounted on the starboard side so it didn't interfere with the live well door. Moved the Yamaha 9 inch screen up into T-top along with VHF Radio - Garmin 215 with AIS, then put a Garmin 1243 MFD where the Yamaha screen was. Halo20+ radar, Sionyx Nightwave and Garmin GC-200 camera facing to the rear in lieu of a mirror. Fell MOB+ wireless engine kill switch so you don't have to be physically connected to your cutoff. Mounted Molle panels and still adding some to hold fire extinguisher, knife, flash light, 1st aid, chamois, and binoculars.
Must haves: 2nd anchor, 5 gallon bucket, porta potty with tp, wet wipes and chemicals - kept in storage bag that comes with the ports potty, boat hook, flash light, knife (to cut rope, etc. that may foul an impeller) Coast Guard safety kit, then some water tight bags with blankets, another one with sweat shirts, rain gear, hats, water bottles, towels, tool kit, first aid kit and sunscreen.
Pictures please!

MBrand

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I did purchase the bow and swim platform filler cushions from Cycle Springs. The trolling motor is the longest they make, as I wanted it to hold me in position offshore in the Gulf, even with some waves. They (Auto Lighting of Alabama, LLC) did a cutout and added an access port to install a backing plate.
As for what is needed, last time I lived down here in the panhandle of Florida (was stationed at Eglin AFB - so Fort Walton Beach/Destin) I had a 22 foot Chaparral walk around with a 200hp Johnson outboard. It was equipped with a remote spot, VHF and depth sounder (late 1980 early 1990s) and very good paper charts. But, we would go out at midnight and night dive a few miles out offshore and was in water that broke over the windscreen going through the pass to head out. Put over 500hrs per year on that boat, as I went out all year to dive and fish - mostly off shore. So, you can get away with much less.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did purchase the bow and swim platform filler cushions from Cycle Springs. The trolling motor is the longest they make, as I wanted it to hold me in position offshore in the Gulf, even with some waves. They (Auto Lighting of Alabama, LLC) did a cutout and added an access port to install a backing plate.
As for what is needed, last time I lived down here in the panhandle of Florida (was stationed at Eglin AFB - so Fort Walton Beach/Destin) I had a 22 foot Chaparral walk around with a 200hp Johnson outboard. It was equipped with a remote spot, VHF and depth sounder (late 1980 early 1990s) and very good paper charts. But, we would go out at midnight and night dive a few miles out offshore and was in water that broke over the windscreen going through the pass to head out. Put over 500hrs per year on that boat, as I went out all year to dive and fish - mostly off shore. So, you can get away with much less.
How are you liking the H model? Member @TeenGee is thinking of getting one of these H models and was wondering about ride quality in the chop and bigger waves.. he would probably like to hear your input in this thread here;

You’ve got your boat totally dialed in! Im glad you explained the trolling motor location as I was going to ask why starboard when I saw the pic. Awesome that you put the connext screen up out of the way to make room for another full size MFD! What was involved in moving the connext screen up there? I don’t see the Molle panels? Are they inside the cabinets? Do you have the sionyx camera looking forward? I just see the rear facing Garmin..Do you have your radar tied in with only the Garmin or is it to both the Garmin and the Simrad ?

MBrand

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
The 2024 comes with a Simrad NSX. That doesn't support an external plug in video. Thus, the Garmin screen. The radar is connected to the Simrad. The Garmin and Simrad are connected via NEMA, so the Garmin does read the transducer, but not the radar. The Sionyx is under the front T top (is black in color) and mounted upside down facing forward. It is designed to be mounted this way, or right side up. This keeps it out of the radar sweep and also protects the screen from weather. The wiring was extended to move the Yamaha screen from the helm to the upper console. Molle is under the seat, and adding more, to include one under the T-top where the VHF and Connex screen are.

The Garmin connects great with the Kraken, as well as with an InReach Mini2 that I have from backpacking. When running at night, I wanted a good size screen for the Sionyx view, as well as radar with chart plotter overlay. The alternative option I looked at was going with Simrad's NSSevo3S, as this would allow connection with the Sionyx. I then didn't need to move the Connex screen. In the end, the cost was about the same, (if you don't factor making some $ selling the NSX) but I ended up with less screen real estate and lost the ability to control the Kraken as well from MFD and lost connectivity features with the InReach.

I've commented about the H in other threads. My wife was insistent about it. I was used to docking a single engine outboard by myself, and then transitioned to the AR210, so didn't "need" the joystick. However, I really do like having it, as it makes it easy to get the boat in and out of the lift, docking for fuel, and so on. It also makes it easy for my sons, who have much less experience boating, to be able to dock it, etc. when they visit. That was why my wife was insistent about it. So, for me, it was "worth" it and am happy I spent the additional money.

Ride quality would be better with a true deep v front end - simple physics. That being said, the trade offs are well worth it for my purposes. I absolutely love the convenience, features and safety of the rear swim platform, the shallow water draft, performance of the jet drive and wider front area. I drive a pickup and went to a Superduty after burning out transmissions and other components on various 150 or 1500 series trucks. I tow a lot, but almost always less than 5,000lbs. The Superduty rides rougher than the 1/2 ton trucks. But, the compromise - for me is worth it. The number of times the seas are rough enough that the ride quality becomes an issue are not that frequent. So, I'll take the hit on the ride quality for the number of times it will actually occur. That is being said from the perspective of having previously lived in the Florida panhandle and putting hundreds of engine hours a year on a boat inshore and offshore.

I think anyone considering a boat, needs to look at all their options and consider the things that are most important, while factoring in how often that will be an issue. I looked long and hard a a few catamarans. Love their ride quality, and on the ones a little bigger than the 255, you get plenty of room to board between the two engines. For that, you won't be trailing it - at least not much, but the price is considerably more, among other tradeoffs.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The 2024 comes with a Simrad NSX. That doesn't support an external plug in video. Thus, the Garmin screen. The radar is connected to the Simrad. The Garmin and Simrad are connected via NEMA, so the Garmin does read the transducer, but not the radar. The Sionyx is under the front T top (is black in color) and mounted upside down facing forward. It is designed to be mounted this way, or right side up. This keeps it out of the radar sweep and also protects the screen from weather. The wiring was extended to move the Yamaha screen from the helm to the upper console. Molle is under the seat, and adding more, to include one under the T-top where the VHF and Connex screen are.

The Garmin connects great with the Kraken, as well as with an InReach Mini2 that I have from backpacking. When running at night, I wanted a good size screen for the Sionyx view, as well as radar with chart plotter overlay. The alternative option I looked at was going with Simrad's NSSevo3S, as this would allow connection with the Sionyx. I then didn't need to move the Connex screen. In the end, the cost was about the same, (if you don't factor making some $ selling the NSX) but I ended up with less screen real estate and lost the ability to control the Kraken as well from MFD and lost connectivity features with the InReach.

I've commented about the H in other threads. My wife was insistent about it. I was used to docking a single engine outboard by myself, and then transitioned to the AR210, so didn't "need" the joystick. However, I really do like having it, as it makes it easy to get the boat in and out of the lift, docking for fuel, and so on. It also makes it easy for my sons, who have much less experience boating, to be able to dock it, etc. when they visit. That was why my wife was insistent about it. So, for me, it was "worth" it and am happy I spent the additional money.

Ride quality would be better with a true deep v front end - simple physics. That being said, the trade offs are well worth it for my purposes. I absolutely love the convenience, features and safety of the rear swim platform, the shallow water draft, performance of the jet drive and wider front area. I drive a pickup and went to a Superduty after burning out transmissions and other components on various 150 or 1500 series trucks. I tow a lot, but almost always less than 5,000lbs. The Superduty rides rougher than the 1/2 ton trucks. But, the compromise - for me is worth it. The number of times the seas are rough enough that the ride quality becomes an issue are not that frequent. So, I'll take the hit on the ride quality for the number of times it will actually occur. That is being said from the perspective of having previously lived in the Florida panhandle and putting hundreds of engine hours a year on a boat inshore and offshore.

I think anyone considering a boat, needs to look at all their options and consider the things that are most important, while factoring in how often that will be an issue. I looked long and hard a a few catamarans. Love their ride quality, and on the ones a little bigger than the 255, you get plenty of room to board between the two engines. For that, you won't be trailing it - at least not much, but the price is considerably more, among other tradeoffs.
Thank you for the awesome reply!

If I read that correctly you are using the Garmin to view the Sionyx and the OEM Simrad NSX to view the radar as an overlay on the chart plotter ? Another member here who has a 2022 or 2023 255 FSH Sport mentioned that the Simrad GOs’ processor was at its limit when using a radar and he had swapped out the GO for the NSX.

Nice breakdown on the trade offs, as with boats as with tow vehicles as with many things, everything is a compromise. I also drive a Superduty, 2020 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 diesel, I tow a lot, almost half of the current 77,000 miles are towing, the boat mostly but a fair amount with the 30’ toy hauler, it’s just a fantastic daily driver and tow vehicle. On the Helm master EX, from what I understand the EX stands for Expandable, have you heard about Yamaha “expanding” the Helm master to include the features found on the outboard version, slow troll, drift point, spot lock etc? I hear you on the swim platform advantages, that’s something I always come back to when looking at other boats that do not have that feature, I use it more for fishing and landing fish.

Again great write up !

MBrand

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
You are correct. I use the Simrad NSX (which is what comes on the 2024 255FSH) to view radar, then have it overlay on the chart. The Garmin is to connect to the Sionyx and rear facing camera and trolling motor and InReach. Some like having the 2 different charting systems as they each have strengths and weaknesses. In this part of Florida, it really isn't much of an issue, but I can see that being an issue in other locations. Both connect to their own systems on an iPhone (Simrad's app and Garmin's ActiveCaptain app).

The NSX with the radar running seems to run just fine. The radar does "bird mode" so it will spot a flock of birds over bait fish which then means predator fish to catch, and more importantly, it will identify targets at night or incoming weather. So, that was a safety investment.

I've heard through the grapevine, a desire by Yamaha to add the additional features to the -H version. The connection for steering is the Optimus system, so this model is effectively a drive by wire (at least to the hydraulic rams in the compartment ahead of the helm. So, that is frequently what is used on other boats and is a bit of an industry 800lb gorilla.

The -H version does NOT have any fins at the back, nor can you add the aftermarket ones, as it interferes with how the joystick controls the boat. My understanding is that Yamaha has not spent enough time with the system as of yet to get it to work as an autopilot given the natural wondering inherent to a jet boat. In short, they still need to work on the logic (programming) to make it work. Wishful thinking is that a software update in the future will give me those additional features. However, I'm not hopeful. As a former USAF aircraft maintenance officer and having done deep dives into aircraft flight control systems, the way the drive system works on the -H version shouldn't need any additional hardware in order to have those features - save for possibly a faster processor. I believe it is just programming. I do have 2 additional heading reference systems on board (4 if you count the base one that came with the boat and the one on the Kraken), one for the Simrad radar, and one to enhance the accuracy of the Garmin chart plotter features. So, all the pieces are there for a very capable autopilot or spot lock.

I did have an "electrical" issue with the boat after getting it back from the break in service, wherein I lost steering. Let's just say, I spent a month going back and forth to the dealership, who in turn did live runs with the boat while a Yamaha technician was hooked up to the systems remotely. I've come to learn that the Optimus system in all applications can be a finicky to poor wiring connections, low voltage, etc. But in all fairness to Optimus, that is true for most CAN systems. I've put 20+ hours on since that was worked out without a problem. That whole experience further solidified my belief that the full potential of the joystick system is limited by programming (and possibly processing power) only.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Again, awesome post !! Thank you!

Here is hoping that code writers are either busy at work or are ironing out the details of the other features of the helm master for the H model boats.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Don’t leave without an EPIRB - or PLB at a minimum. It’s always a nice day until it’s not and NOAA wave forecasts suck. Too many souls lost at sea this year. Garmin inReach is a smart addition as well.