• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255X sound deadening

Ultra1988

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Just picked up a 2023 255XE. Happy with the boat, no issues at all. But coming from a big block Chevy/Berkeley jet boat with a wood/fiberglass engine compartment the sound is definitely going to take some getting used to. Has anyone successfully lessened the amount of engine noise to the passengers?

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got some dynamat (dif brand). Did the engine cover and the fuel tank cover. HUGE difference! We're talking night and day. I don't have a sound meter, but I'd guesstimate about at 60% decrease in sound, if not more. Did a few WOT runs, and we were able to talk. We could hear the stereo!!! Highly recommend it! Got it on Amazon. Took an hour to install.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got some dynamat (dif brand). Did the engine cover and the fuel tank cover. HUGE difference! We're talking night and day. I don't have a sound meter, but I'd guesstimate about at 60% decrease in sound, if not more. Did a few WOT runs, and we were able to talk. We could hear the stereo!!! Highly recommend it! Got it on Amazon. Took an hour to install.
Glad you had such good results ! As a fyi a drop of 3DB is a halving of perceived sound.

If you’re interested this thread has a lot of good info in it regarding sound proofing.

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is great. I love my 242 but noise is my number one issue with the boat. My brother in laws Bennington is whisper quiet. Any recommendations you have on type of materials used or application process would be super appreciated. Thanks!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is great. I love my 242 but noise is my number one issue with the boat. My brother in laws Bennington is whisper quiet. Any recommendations you have on type of materials used or application process would be super appreciated. Thanks!
I ordered this. It was easy. Just be careful cause it's crazy sticky. I didn't do the walls, just the door and the fuel cover. Took maybe an hour. Roll it in place and that's it. https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Automotive-Deadening-Deadener-Adhesive/dp/B0BHYBQR81/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2KPM7Q0L53C7B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.rxBVrk1jhQ3_VzZTMiZA7TH7moCLgBBL2yBiLNnm8AqadCjktlasDQxwa5B27M8wrFTuEpjMJDr-xg_nZ1HrN6GcQSHa1ni3Nk69ESwAyLNfDUuuW1Zny0QjoSteqHQizL7zY0Pk3hkamfNa9Dt00KQ0zpzew485Gl8x2PtaZbqM6M3QJm7DJbCwtlHsQ9qm2nTZ9hqQD5YmYstai-bo2WGzxKiu5CYXm530hPdtQSY.mX8By51wB-LQaVc-EjZgFsh1SnY9uadNAVaMjahclTA&dib_tag=se&keywords=sound+deading+material+for+cars&qid=1708132427&sprefix=Sound+d,aps,314&sr=8-11

JimmyB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you! It’s on my 2024 list as well as stuffing some sound material in the back of the port and starboard lockers.

rmk600

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice! I've used Dynamat on old vehicles I've restored. Any pics of your install? Did you put it on top of the foam pad they have from factory?
No pics, sorry. In all honesty it went so quickly, I didn't think to. I removed the cover and set it up in my garage. I gently peeled back the stock foam. Cleaned up the adhesive and leftover foam with a paint scraper and paint thinner. Applied the matting, rolled it firmly. Sprayed adhesive on the back and reinstalled the stock foam. There's 4 large plastic "nuts" holding the foam down. I think I used a hex driver to loosen them and twisted them off with my fingers. Less than an hour total. And I've never done anything like this before.

rmk600

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok. That's good. Dynamat then stock foam. Happy with the results so far I'm guessing. Thanks man

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Corruptor006 Great to hear… I’m probably going to do the fuel tank cover in the next month. Still getting the new boat set up and hope to be on the lake later this week to finish up the break-in period.

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Corruptor006 Great to hear… I’m probably going to do the fuel tank cover in the next month. Still getting the new boat set up and hope to be on the lake later this week to finish up the break-in period.
The fuel tank cover was the easiest part! It's flat. Undo the 4 bolts, flip it over, and install the matting. Twenty min tops.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much of the insulation did you need to complete the job? Was the one roll enough?

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks for the insight; I’ll be knocking this out soon!

lpodoll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fuel tank cover was the easiest part! It's flat. Undo the 4 bolts, flip it over, and install the matting. Twenty min tops.
What bit did you use to remove the fuel tank cover? Was it easy for you to remove? I read on another thread to use Square Bit #4?

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't remember. It's not a square tho. I'm pretty sure it's hex. I have a few on sockets, rather than using an allen key.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Has anyone soundproofed the ski Locker door? Plan to do the fuel tank cover but was thinking of other places.

Corruptor006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone soundproofed the ski Locker door? Plan to do the fuel tank cover but was thinking of other places.
Seems to me like a waste of time and materials. If anything I'd suggest all the walls back by the engine.