• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Anyone install Crower cams in their TR-1 / Viper / Genesis engines?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Curious if anyone out there has looked into or installed Crower cams in their three cylinder Yamaha engines. Brian Crower has quite the selection of engine hard parts for the TR-1, Viper, or Genesis engines, the only base difference I see is the bore of the Viper / TR-1 engines being two millimeters larger than the Genesis engine. The Genesis version is in Yamahas snow sleds, and in the turbo charged configuration makes 172 hp. Looking at a long term project for when the YES warranty runs out.

Curious if anyone out there has looked into or installed Crower cams in their three cylinder Yamaha engines. Brian Crower has quite the selection of engine hard parts for the TR-1, Viper, or Genesis engines, the only base difference I see is the bore of the Viper / TR-1 engines being two millimeters larger than the Genesis engine. The Genesis version is in Yamahas snow sleds, and in the turbo charged configuration makes 172 hp. Looking at a long term project for when the YES warranty runs out.

Definitely interested as well once my Yes is up.

Definitely interested as well once my Yes is up.

Going to chat with an Aussie fellow who put them in a TR-1. Will keep you posted.

I have been a longtime VIP member of Totally Yamaha ("the" yamaha sled owners forum) and owner of 7 Yamaha sleds, 5 of them four stroke. I have never heard much mention of installing Crower Cams. Although I have heard of them.

Unlike our marine engines, the easiest "bolt on" power in a sled is a turbo, as the application works well. And most of the time, this can be done with minimal, if any changes to the internals.

Prior to the Sidewinder, there were no Yamaha factory turbo sleds. So the turbo configuration you speak of, must have been one of the third party options. Many of the 1049cc Viper motors were good for well over 200hp. The 4 cylinder Genesis engine could take tons of boost, with many pushing them to over 250hp with pump gas, and well over 300 with shims and race fuel. Yamaha did offer the Yamacharger, supercharger for the 4 cylinder. But it was a low boost application that didn't give enough juice for the cost of the squeeze.

The Winder motor is more than a viper with a turbo. It is under 1000 cc and comes from the factory just over 200hp, although Yamaha will never confirm that. They claim a minimum of 170hp class sled. All of these numbers have been achieved without cam options. Are you thinking a cam swap with no blower may have good improvements?

Sounds like a headache in the making. Gonna need someone to tune the ecu, some way to monitor the tune afterward along with intake and exhaust mods to see the potential of the cams. Have a spare motor handy...

Sounds like a headache in the making. Gonna need someone to tune the ecu, some way to monitor the tune afterward along with intake and exhaust mods to see the potential of the cams. Have a spare motor handy...

If you read the website link I posted you’d see that the level 2 cams do not require ECU changes, they are a drop in cam that allows more airflow and works within the parameters of the stock ECU. If the cams required an ECU change I wouldn’t be interested at this time.

35DDCFFA-0343-4A77-8341-42194F42F2B4.jpeg

Last edited:
If you read the website link I posted you’d see that the level 2 cams do not require ECU changes, they are a drop in cam that allows more airflow and works within the parameters of the stock ECU. If the cams required an ECU change I wouldn’t be interested at this time.
Your link just goes to the main sales page.
If I am looking at the correct cams, the description says "Designed for mild duner and trails where focus is more on the lower powerband. Works with stock valve train and stock ECU, although reflash will deliver optimum results."

I have been a longtime VIP member of Totally Yamaha ("the" yamaha sled owners forum) and owner of 7 Yamaha sleds, 5 of them four stroke. I have never heard much mention of installing Crower Cams. Although I have heard of them.

Unlike our marine engines, the easiest "bolt on" power in a sled is a turbo, as the application works well. And most of the time, this can be done with minimal, if any changes to the internals.

Prior to the Sidewinder, there were no Yamaha factory turbo sleds. So the turbo configuration you speak of, must have been one of the third party options. Many of the 1049cc Viper motors were good for well over 200hp. The 4 cylinder Genesis engine could take tons of boost, with many pushing them to over 250hp with pump gas, and well over 300 with shims and race fuel. Yamaha did offer the Yamacharger, supercharger for the 4 cylinder. But it was a low boost application that didn't give enough juice for the cost of the squeeze.

The Winder motor is more than a viper with a turbo. It is under 1000 cc and comes from the factory just over 200hp, although Yamaha will never confirm that. They claim a minimum of 170hp class sled. All of these numbers have been achieved without cam options. Are you thinking a cam swap with no blower may have good improvements?

Thanks Biff! That’s a lot of great information!

Yes, just a cam swap with no blower, plug and play.
A8EB33CF-5CB5-4B4E-ACB5-EE385A94EABE.jpeg

Your link just goes to the main sales page.
If I am looking at the correct cams, the description says "Designed for mild duner and trails where focus is more on the lower powerband. Works with stock valve train and stock ECU, although reflash will deliver optimum results."

Apologies for not linking the correct page here; BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // UTV // Yamaha // YXZ1000R

And thanks linking the other web page; https://store.briancrower.com/colle...2-trail-spec-camshafts?variant=42808702959859

That was enlightening information!

The information that I have gotten so far from Brian Crower was that they have not done any development with the TR-1 engine, but after corresponding with Brian I have confirmed that the TR-1 does come with mildest cams that the stage 2 BC would dramatically improve. I have no desire to mess with the ECU at this point or create a headache for myself or most importantly decrease the longevity of my engines. My YES warranty still has another year and a half and I’m not going to to do something that threatens that warranty.

Having said all that, I’m am however trying to get back some of the lost hp and performance that I’ve lost due to operating at high altitude which can reach density altitude levels approaching 9000’ and a 27%-30% hp loss, so on a motor that is only 111 hp at sea level to begin with those hp losses are pretty severe. If I was to need to rebuild these engines at my own cost, I’d also be looking at a stroker crank and high compression pistons to get the cylinder pressures back up close to stock at the elevations I run my boat at.

My friend who runs a normally aspirated 1000 RZR is also looking at the BC cams for his RZR for better performance in the dunes, his RZR has been re flashed and has an upgraded exhaust and he is the one who turned me onto these cams. He is also looking at upgrading the stock buckets which are single use to the shim under bucket conversion, as well as the improved PCV system. He’s going to call and chat with them about his car as well as my boat, and hopefully here in the near future I’ll be able to chat with the Australian fellow about his TR-1 project.

My boat performance is much much better in colder temps and slightly less altitude, much closer to the test drive I took at 750’ on the Mississippi where the boat shot right up to 44 mph.

The best part is my boat works and runs well! I just would like it to run better!

There is at last one bolt on turbo kit that is $8800! Which to me is prohibitively expensive and with having to do two engines warrants going up to the 25’ FSH Sport with its SVHO engines, but a turbocharger is so much better at dealing with high density altitudes.

The best of both worlds would be a compound super charger / turbo charger wherein the SC handles the initial boost and once the turbo spools up it provides all the boost and negates the parasitic loss of the SC.

Last edited:
There is at last one bolt on turbo kit that is $8800! Which to me is prohibitively expensive and with having to do two engines warrants going up to the 25’ FSH Sport with its SVHO engines, but a turbocharger is so much better at dealing with high density altitudes.

The best of both worlds would be a compound super charger / turbo charger wherein the SC handles the initial boost and once the turbo spools up it provides all the boost and negates the parasitic loss of the SC.
I would agree with this as well. And the context of altitude makes sense for the OP over other boaters at lower elevation.

A turbo or SVHO at altitude helps the engine maintain, or regain lost Hp at lower altitudes. For a flatlander, adding these HP improvements above stock makes little sense as now a person may be overpowering the pump and cause cavitation. Additional HP above stock would require other driveline upgrades at low elevation.

Back