• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone using ASTC 3.0 tuners for 4k TV

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pulled the trigger finally on a 4k OLED that should be here by the end of the week. I've cut the cord, and stream everything thru Apple TV in my current setup. As I started to look at the feature set, I realized there is a 4k standard for over the air signals that is available in Columbus. I'm curious if anyone is using the HDHomeRun FLEX 4k and wonder how people feel it works?

Is there anyone out there streaming 4k OTA?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an older HDHomeRun device sitting on my home network. Not certain it does 4k. It does provide ATSC signal conversion and allows any device on the network to stream over the air channels. I think I've had it going on 10yrs or so now. It's just always on, and always waiting for me to use it. I live within ~10 miles of the majority of the local broadcast towers, Am at ~850ft elevation (most surrounding areas are in the 500ft range) and have a giant antenna mounted in the attic, so signal strength is never an issue. I was originally using it with Windows XP Media Center Edition, and using the PC as a personal recorder. I would have Media Center do the recording for me, then a script would run at midnight that would convert all of the MCE files over to MP4, compress them, and fill in all the MetaData for me to add to the library. Library ran on a separate WD hard drive over firewire (I'm really dating myself now). As a hobby is was really great and fun, as a functional media center it was pretty garbage.

Anywho......The SiliconDust products are pretty robust, and have worked great for me and a few others I know that have used them. Mine has been powered on for the better part of 6 years now, and was working on Sunday morning when I streamed "Sunday Today" to the back deck while everyone else was sleeping.

We haven't had cable for over a decade now, and are just now starting to consider going back. We pay for Disney+ (that includes Hulu and ESPN+), Prime Video (included with Prime membership, but still ~$10/mo), Netflix, MotoGP, and Spotify. We're sneaking up on a cable bill in streaming services again. About the only thing we really missed when we left cable was the DVR capability, which is why I built the PC to hook to the television. We just said the heck with it a few months later, and honestly haven't really looked back. Our watching habits changed SOOOO much when the boys showed up that, honestly, we don't get to watch the TV much for ourselves anyway.

Didn't realize OTA was 4k now, but found this article that explains it pretty well. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/atsc-3-0-ota-broadcast-standard-4k-dolby-atmos/

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the article on ASTC 3. I am using an older HDHomeRun myself and it is great. I just popped off my sat dish and plopped the antenna right in its place. It’s been working fine for me for years.

I still plan to give the 4K unit a shot, I’m curious about how it will look with 4K OTA.