• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery Issues

Not only no load, but hasn’t been charging or discharging for 24 hours.

LOL. I was thinking the same. Just ordered 2 sets! Thanks for the link/info.

Again FYI, those spin off knobs are not USCG approved and could be the reason for a failed marine inspection or worse, they are just big wing nuts. I would not use those. There are many boardings in our area, USCG and VSP look at battery connections. Being in compliance and showing it, is a good thing. Mine is a few years old and still helps prevent unnecessary boardings.

20200711_142417.jpg

But, what’s that? Oh yea, “to each their own”.

Last edited:
Again FYI, those spin off knobs are not USCG approved and could be the reason for a failed marine inspection or worse, they are just big wing nuts. I would not use those. There are many boardings in our area, USCG and VSP look at battery connections. Being in compliance and showing it, is a good thing. Mine is a few years old and still helps prevent unnecessary boardings.

View attachment 201106

But, what’s that? Oh yea, “to each their own”.
Sounds like you have direct experience with the coast guard on this topic, but my reading of the regulation doesn't directly preclude the use of these. So far as I could find, the only direct mention of this is:

"Connections must be made to battery terminals with permanent type connectors. Spring clips or other temporary type clamps are prohibited."

Personally, I find the product to be solving an issue that I don't have...so I won't be running out to get them.... But I wouldn't consider the installation "temporary" any more than a regular nut is temporary...

Per ABYC.

DF9C1B9F-9375-433D-939D-A5A3F57CCB7A.png

11EF6EDB-70C9-485C-A8B2-725B6135F8F3.png

Cool! Great info.

I'm a fan of complying with relevant and reasonable standards, but I'm pedantic enough to like to know what is officially required and what is considered best practice. In this case, although ABYC has adopted this as a standard, it does not (so far as I can tell) have the full force of a USCG regulation. Based on the USCG regulation, I'd be surprised if they could fail you on a safety inspection... But again, I'd advocate complying with ABYC standards unless there was a compelling reason not to.

Digging deep on this one...This is the full description on line 228 from the deficiency data below.

1/9/2023 7613276 Sector Boston 690315 Official Number (U.S.) GATEWAY ENDEAVOR Passenger Ship UNITED STATES 09 - Working and Living Conditions 09209 - Electrical 16 - Rectify deficiencies w/in 14 days "Battery terminals shall be of the soldered type and all connections shall be made to the battery terminals with
permanent type connectors. Spring clips or other temporary type clamps are not permitted. Batteries currently have wing nuts and need a permanent type nut.
46 CFR 183.05-20 (c)

That comes from this USCG inspection. Line 228. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CG-5PC/CG-CVC/Guidance/MISLEDefs/Website-DeficiencyData-20230331.xlsx?&ved=2ahUKEwiNh9yznqD_AhWnFFkFHSSeCjIQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2FDQjxV1wFVHIlvImMGN7j

Screenshot_20230531-151012_Excel.jpg

WING NUTS ARE CONSIDERED TEMPORARY TYPE HARDWARE.

Last edited:
I also think the new batteries were not fully charged but here is something else to consider. I have a 2010 242ls and I used to get low voltage messages. I connected the negative terminals on my arch battery to each other with a short jumper cable and stopped getting low voltage warnings.

Last edited:
Good Morning!

A quick update to my issue. I pulled the batteries yesterday morning. After disconnecting completely, I used my volt meter to test each battery.

House battery=11.2V
Starter battery=12.3V

Needless to say, I am a little confused considering the Connext system literally warned me then shut off in the middle of my boat ride telling me that voltage was too low. I also noticed a small black wire that was connected to the Starter battery that looked pretty worn at the connection. I remember another thread mentioning that this wire needs to make a good connection or there will be issues. Purchased new ring connectors and I will be changing out the worn connector when when I re-install batteries. Hoping the wire has something to do with the issue (ground?)

As far as the batteries themselves, I placed the House battery on charger last night. Checked it this morning and it read 12.3V. Placed the Starter battery on the charger about 30 min ago. Battery was reading 11.2V before connecting the charger.

I am not sure if this opens a whole other can of worms but I appreciate the input.

Thanks, in advance.

11.2v is a dead battery. How old are they again? New? Interested to see what it charges to, after resting.

Screenshot_20230601-084032_Chrome.jpg

If you look at the discharge table that was posted on the first page, you'll see that the house battery is fully discharged when your no-load voltage is 11.2. So it shouldn't be surprising that the system shut off.

You stated in your first paragraph that the starter battery was at 12.3V, but in third paragraph that the starter battery was 11.2V. Not sure what to make of that.

To me anyway, all of this still points to you having drained the house battery by running it a couple of outings in a row without fully charging it in between and having possibly discharged it to the point that it's damaged.

Were it me, I'd replace the house battery again, but in the future, making sure that you fully charge it between outings. A 30 minute run on the water isn't enough to recharge it if you've drained it.

Good Morning!

A quick update to my issue. I pulled the batteries yesterday morning. After disconnecting completely, I used my volt meter to test each battery.

House battery=11.2V
Starter battery=12.3V

Needless to say, I am a little confused considering the Connext system literally warned me then shut off in the middle of my boat ride telling me that voltage was too low. I also noticed a small black wire that was connected to the Starter battery that looked pretty worn at the connection. I remember another thread mentioning that this wire needs to make a good connection or there will be issues. Purchased new ring connectors and I will be changing out the worn connector when when I re-install batteries. Hoping the wire has something to do with the issue (ground?)

As far as the batteries themselves, I placed the House battery on charger last night. Checked it this morning and it read 12.3V. Placed the Starter battery on the charger about 30 min ago. Battery was reading 11.2V before connecting the charger.

I am not sure if this opens a whole other can of worms but I appreciate the input.

Thanks, in advance.

In my post #8 I mentioned the little black wire, it’s the ground for the DVSR which is responsible for charging the house battery underway.

The voltage on the house battery after charging is low…it should be reading 12.5 at least after being charged, and that start battery voltage is way low at 11.2.

When I asked before about your charger you said it worked good, solid was the term you used, what exactly is the charger you have?

I asked about other voltage readings in your boat in my previous post, you should get those readings when the engine is running to make sure your boats charging system is working properly.

If you look at the discharge table that was posted on the first page, you'll see that the house battery is fully discharged when your no-load voltage is 11.2. So it shouldn't be surprising that the system shut off.

You stated in your first paragraph that the starter battery was at 12.3V, but in third paragraph that the starter battery was 11.2V. Not sure what to make of that.

To me anyway, all of this still points to you having drained the house battery by running it a couple of outings in a row without fully charging it in between and having possibly discharged it to the point that it's damaged.

Were it me, I'd replace the house battery again, but in the future, making sure that you fully charge it between outings. A 30 minute run on the water isn't enough to recharge it if you've drained it.

My apologies. That was a typo. I guess I am still asleep! Starter battery was reading 12.3V prior to charging (not 11.2. My mix up).

I agree with charging between outings, the only issue is that boat is kept in a high and dry with no access to power while it is there. I guess I could take batteries home between outings but that will not be fun!

My apologies. That was a typo. I guess I am still asleep! Starter battery was reading 12.3V prior to charging (not 11.2. My mix up).

I agree with charging between outings, the only issue is that boat is kept in a high and dry with no access to power while it is there. I guess I could take batteries home between outings but that will not be fun!

Is the stack indoors or outdoors? Would direct or indirect sunlight on a 100w flexible solar panel with a Victron charge controller work in your scenario while stacked?

Is the stack indoors or outdoors? Would direct or indirect sunlight on a 100w flexible solar panel with a Victron charge controller work in your scenario while stacked?

Unfortunately, indoors.

No fun indeed.

It's asking a bunch of the boat though to re-charge the house battery with only short hops between hours-long powering of the stereo and other accessories. It'd be sort of like having a separate car battery that runs your headlights and expecting that you'd be able to leave the headlights on while at the office and that the car would be able to re-charge that battery on the drive home.

Having the separate start battery ensures that you won't get stranded, but it doesn't do anything to solve the fundamental issue. For me personally, I shut the boat down when I'm tied up. I'd find the setup useful if I were staying out on it overnight, and wanted to power the mooring lights...but unless you are willing to re-charge the battery between outings, you'll likely continue to run into this issue.

Also having a similar issue with my batteries on a 2023 222SD. Start battery was about 12.2v and house battery was about 11.6v the check engine light came on then the low battery light and all electrical went dead. I assume the start battery was low which never opened the circuit to charge the house battery and it died? I did buy a dual bank charger and intend to fully charge both batteries. Is there any harm in charging both batteries in the boat at the same time? Any special precautions that need to be taken? The boat is on a lift and I would rather not put on the trailer if I don't have to.

Regards,

John

Back