• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery powered and hard wired LED tow point mount

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have to provide a HEADS UP on this important thread and the ingenuity and quality of Jeremy's work and craftsmanship !

I now own and have in my hands (well, mounted to Miss B'Haven, the new WIRELESS LIGHT (Simply awesome !) and Jeremy's new adapter mounted onto my tow point !

Comments ? It's THE BOMB !!!!!!!!!!!

It's what Yamaha SHOULD have given us when we purchased the boat .... but didn't.

If ya spend the money ......... which really is not a lot ... you'll be VERY VERY Happy.

Our boat OWNER, Miss Barbie, is THRILLED with our new LIGHT !!!

Thanks Jeremy for making this happen !

Best Wishes to all for a safe, and yet FUN, boating weekend !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As a side note ........... RE: Installation.
To mount the adapter ..........
The EASIEST way with the new adapters is to use a Hammer or (as I did) a small hand-held sledge hammer and a block of wood.
At least in our case, it fit so EXTREMELY tight, I did not feel the need to add/use any Locktite RED. My adapter is staying put.
Just thought I would pass that along.
And don't pound heavily, at least in the case of the forward-sweeping 242 towers. There is nothing to "brace" the hammer blows, as you will see when you look at the tower from the side.
Hey ! Y"all enjoy these. We love our new Tower Light !

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am interested in your circuit board for the 242. How much will it cost? I already have the adapter and light just haven't had time to run wires since the boat is on the lift an hour away from the house. Was waiting to bring boat home but this would be easier and done on the lift.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Chad: I also purchased the original light and adapter. Just as a side note: And it might be just me .......... But I had the assistance of someone who knows what they're doing. And an EXTREMELY large shop vac.
And we DID take the tower OFF the bot, while it was on the lift ...... and tried this twice on the dock. but we could never pull the wires thru the jumbled mess Yamaha apparently leaves their tower wiring in in a few cases.

So for Barbie and me, having A tower light was more important than getting wiring done with what we already owned. So we chalked our first purchase up to "experience" and went with Jeremy's new "No Wiring" light option. Besides, the LED's in this new "360 Light" are SO STRONG !!!!!!!!!

Just wanted you to know of the frustrations one 242LS owner experienced. That's why we were so happy Jeremy came up with this new option. However, having said that, I wish you significantly better luck getting your tower wired.

Install time differences between "Wired" option and "Non-Wired" Option: 6 hours versus 5 minutes.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. You sold me on the wireless option.
You're welcome.

Look at it this way ............ The "360 Light' is powered by 3 AAA batteries ! Being an LED light, and 1 you only use at night time .........
What'da'ya think your "power consumption" cost would be per boating season ? 3 AAA Batteries ? 6 AAA Batteries ??
To us, it was like a no-brainer once Jeremy presented us all with this new option.

And the 360 light is so kewl ............. It has 4 or 5 different "lighting modes" ............... One even FLASHES all of the 360 degree LEDs on and off somewhat rapidly.

Can ya imagine selecting THAT mode and riding down your waterway like your some kinda cop ? Oh The Laughs ! LOL !
(PS - I KNOW it's not legal ...... and the better news is I do not care ........... LOL !)

Best Wishes .......... By the way ....that super kewl light is Waterproof, and even floats. It's kind amazing all by itself. WELL-worth the cost.

Y'all take Care .... Mikey Lulejian - On a VERY wet and rainy weekend on Lake Oconee, GA

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought just the adaptor last year and installed it this year. In my situation it slipped easily and slightly loosely over the stock tow point on the tower. I ended up securing it in place its gorilla glue which expands when it dries. Now that I have, I couldn't remove it if I wanted to unless maybe I heated it with a torch (but that will never happen, if I sell the boat the adaptor is going with it).

I never intended to mount a light on the adaptor that's why I didn't buy either of the kit versions. Instead I've mounted my Xm antennae (temporarily) on the top of and a gopro flat clip mount to the front and rear of it (again temporarily). This adaptor has been (almost) perfect for my use. I don't have any gaps in Xm coverage unless I stay under anything (e.g. The shade of a low bridge or trees) for a few minutes, which is very rare, and I'm able to take un obstructed video of the boat and / or stern while underway. I say I temporarily mounted these things because I haven't drilled out a big enough hole in the adaptor or tow ball yet so the antennas wiring is routed on the outside of the tower and the gopro mounts are a little long. Next off season I will rewire the antennae and shorten the gopro mounts to make them the same height as the adaptor. I will post a before (temp install) and after pic eventually.

All of the above to state that I am really happy with the adaptor even though I don't use it for the purpose it was designed for. I originally wanted to mount the GPS antennae (aka the hockey puck) on it but found that the lead is too short and the connector two wide to fit into any hole I'm willing to drill in the adaptor or stock tow point. Again I am happy with the adaptor and am thankful that Jeremy came up with it but if I were to change anything about it I'd drill a bigger hole in the center and would flatten out the front and back of it so that the gopro mounts would sit flat against it.

I recommend this product to anyone thinking about mounting anything flat to the top of the tower whether its a light, antennae, gopro mount, etc.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jeremy,

I am interested in a mount for a 242 LS - let me know how I can order.

Thanks!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@jeremy0011 I would like to grab a mount and the Navastar 360 light for a 242ls also. Let me know if you have stock left and how to send payment.

aaronkneeland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, not to hijack but I was invited here by a member saying some people were looking for these. I have the same type of adapter for sale for all of the older boats. I think between the one i have and the one listed here they cover all models. I have a compatibility list somewhere ill have to find it. Let me know if there is any interest.

Found the original post here http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34524

I have 27 of these right now in my garage.

There is also another unique use for this adapter, mounting a fishfinder/graph/depth finder seen here

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56309

Last edited:

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jeremy0011
I bought the wired version of your adapter kit, but have not gotten around to installing it.
So, if I now want to go wireless, I need your new adapter?
Just wanted to be clear...the old wired version will not work with the wireless light, correct?

Anyone want to buy a wired adapter kit? :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am a little torn here. I read some of the Amazon reviews on the Navastar 360 and they were less than stellar. People noted that the light lasts only about 2 years. Then the rubber starts to deteriorate. Some questioned its floatability.

BUT... the thought of a much simpler install where I don't have to drill the tower is very attractive.

BUT... if I add tower speakers, I will need to be drilling the tower anyway. And I do like the idea of a hardwire I can activate from the switch on the helm and never having to worry about batteries.

BUT... goodness, they are only batteries! And you just have to reach up to the tower to turn on the light. With all the different modes!

Hmmmm.... Any input here from the peanut gallery?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
So I am a little torn here. I read some of the Amazon reviews on the Navastar 360 and they were less than stellar. People noted that the light lasts only about 2 years. Then the rubber starts to deteriorate. Some questioned its floatability.

BUT... the thought of a much simpler install where I don't have to drill the tower is very attractive.

BUT... if I add tower speakers, I will need to be drilling the tower anyway. And I do like the idea of a hardwire I can activate from the switch on the helm and never having to worry about batteries.

BUT... goodness, they are only batteries! And you just have to reach up to the tower to turn on the light. With all the different modes!

Hmmmm.... Any input here from the peanut gallery?
After the aluminum piece is installed on the tower and the base magnet is screwed to the aluminum the light just pops right off (held on by 4 magnets). My plan is to install the aluminum piece and just leave the light in the glove box and only toss it on the mount when needed. By doing this I do not see any reason why the rubber would not last many seasons, IMO.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue The first pic in this thread is mine. I had tower speakers installed, so, knowing I was going to do Jeremy's nav light mod, I had the tech run extra wire for it and a light bar, of which, you can see the clamps for in that picture as well. I had already drilled the holes for the light, both under the base and through the pylon before the speaker install so it made the wire run for the tech installing the speakers that much easier. After the speaker install was done I installed the light and added a switch in the blank area where a switch resides in the 242's. The tech doing the install did comment that the AR is a breeze compared to a forward swept tower of a 242. I love the idea of a wireless light but I'm glad mine is hard wired - this is a fantastic mod by the way.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jeremy0011
I bought the wired version of your adapter kit, but have not gotten around to installing it.
So, if I now want to go wireless, I need your new adapter?
Just wanted to be clear...the old wired version will not work with the wireless light, correct?

Anyone want to buy a wired adapter kit? :)
I think you would only have to buy the battery powered light to go wireless with what you have. Hopefully @aaronkneeland will chime in for you soon.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I own Jeremy's ADAPTER and the wireless L.E.D. light.
There is no "rubber" involved in the install nor actual use.
It's a great light, and EXTREMELY bright ! You have to see it in person on a dark night to relate.

If anyone is "on the fence" about Jeremy's adapter and the ability to NOT TRY and run wires for a tower light, this is THE ANSWER !
Mikey Lulejian gives this the
"100% TOTALLY SATISFIED CERTIFCATE OF APPRECIATION" to Jeremy for coming up with this !

Last edited:

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you are running wires for a speaker installation the wired option is the only way to go. Both LED's are high quality but I expect the hardwired option to last as long as I own the boat. Both adapters can be modified to accept the other LED. The difference is the center hole is 1/4" drilled for the hardwired and tapped 10/32 for the battery LED. I have stainless inserts to modify the powered adapter to accept the 10/32 screw.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @jeremy0011, so can/should I buy these stainless inserts from you to install the wireless LED on the wired adapter, or do I need to just fab something on my own?

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll send you a parts list. You will need to drill and tap the center hole for the new insert. Or you can send me the adapter and I'll make the modifications for you.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jeremy0011 -- do you have any remaining wireless units? (Runs on 3 AAA's, right?)

Don't boat at night terribly often, and would love to rid my '15 212x of the pole light. Thanks!