• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Switch

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my 2012 SX190 has 2 batteries and a switch. 1, 2, all, off. I thought 2 batteries was 1 for stereo one for starting. How do I properly use the switch.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If 1 is your start battery turn it on to start the boat. Then turn on both while running so it charges both batteries. When anchored put it on 2 if that’s your house battery. It could be vice versa depending on which battery is wired to what number. You can start on both if the start battery is weak or not cranking. I wouldn’t start on both when normal starting because it will draw down the house battery too. Not that much but still and these boats don’t have a high amp charging systems.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could also depend if it is a stock switch, an aftermarket switch such as a Blu Seas, and how it was wired. Some pictures of the batteries, wiring and switch would help.

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If 1 is your start battery turn it on to start the boat. Then turn on both while running so it charges both batteries. When anchored put it on 2 if that’s your house battery. It could be vice versa depending on which battery is wired to what number. You can start on both if the start battery is weak or not cranking. I wouldn’t start on both when normal starting because it will draw down the house battery too. Not that much but still and these boats don’t have a high amp charging systems.
Thanks that makes complete sense

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks that makes complete sense
There's no house or Start battery in this case, most likely, it's a single circuit two battery setup......engines, radios, accessories all on one circuit. so moving the switch to Battery 1 will use that battery to power everything on your boat. when your engines are on, they will charge only Battery 1. if that battery ends up dying you can move the switch to battery 2. in that case, when running, the boat will only be charging battery 2. if you want to charge both batteries when boat is running, you would move the switch to all. Or if both batteries are extremely low, you could move to switch to all to combine both batteries to be able to start the engines.

You would want to use both batteries regularly, so on even number days you could use the #2 battery, and on odd number days use the #1 Battery. Should not have to use the "all" position very often if ever.

if you wanted the radio isolated on a battery, you would need a dual circuit setup with a ON/OFF switch. in that case, engines are isolated on a Start Battery, and radio and other accessories on the House battery. When Boat is running, both batteries get charged all the time.

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I run across the lake in ALL charging both batteries. Put in 1 when I get there. Run stereo fishfinder etc. If I run down the battery switch to 2 or all and should start right up? Awesome

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I run across the lake in ALL charging both batteries. Put in 1 when I get there. Run stereo fishfinder etc. If I run down the battery switch to 2 or all and should start right up? Awesome
Would recommend a Blu Seas switch with the ACR. That way you don't have to screw around with switching and the ACR will provide charging to both batteries automatically when needed.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would do it simpler than that.....on odd number days, set it to #1, and keep it there. On even number days, set it to #2 and leave it there the whole trip. if you run the battery low, you have a backup battery to switch to if you need it. Want to make sure you are exercising both batteries so they last longer.

assuming you don't have an extremely powerful radio setup or a ton of electronics, and spend a decent amount of time underway, boat should be able to re-charge whichever battery you are running on that day and end up with two batteries fully charged.

a more elegant solution is the blue seas with with ACR which is a dual circuit setup (start and house battery), and simple On and OFF switch. Either way works but always good if you understand the How.

I ended up switchign from a 1/2/both/off switch to the blue seas dual circuit with ACR mostly because I was catching voltage sags when switching through the "off" position and it was frying my connext screen.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have an onboard charger that you plug in when not on the water? That is also quite important to make sure the batteries are charged properly as your two engines together put out roughly 14 amps at idle and 26 amps at 3500 rpms and above. Best to start the day with fully charged batteries.

Blue Seas makes a good ACR. @HangOutdoors wired his up nicely!

The OEM switch and DVSR is a BEP Marine unit that the dual battery boats come with, it is simple and compact.

4B12DCEE-5C3C-4F02-98BB-A587CCE9E42A.jpeg

BB6555D6-6362-4710-B2AD-37AC304B2DCA.jpeg

Either way, it is a good system to have that will automatically isolate your start battery to keep it topped up and no drain while on the water, the Blue Sea system does the same if I am not mistaken. The BEP switch has an integrated emergency parallel switch so if the start battery needs help then the house battery can be paralleled giving that extra boost.

The system you have is the most economical way to go, you just have to manage it a bit.

Meach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great. I always wondered if stereo or fish finder would run both batteries down. Now I know. Thank all of you for your help

BMCS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have the BEP switch in a 2023 255XD. I should be able to turn the start battery to off and the house battery to on when parked to run stereo correct?
The stereo only runs if both switches are on. Could this be a wiring issue?

Vem2001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would do it simpler than that.....on odd number days, set it to #1, and keep it there. On even number days, set it to #2 and leave it there the whole trip. if you run the battery low, you have a backup battery to switch to if you need it. Want to make sure you are exercising both batteries so they last longer.

assuming you don't have an extremely powerful radio setup or a ton of electronics, and spend a decent amount of time underway, boat should be able to re-charge whichever battery you are running on that day and end up with two batteries fully charged.

a more elegant solution is the blue seas with with ACR which is a dual circuit setup (start and house battery), and simple On and OFF switch. Either way works but always good if you understand the How.

I ended up switchign from a 1/2/both/off switch to the blue seas dual circuit with ACR mostly because I was catching voltage sags when switching through the "off" position and it was frying my connext screen.
question @jcb1977
when you were switching through from 1 to both then 2 / or 1 to off then 2 were you turning off the boat first ?
I was told by the BEP tech no worries if i turn off the boat first before any switching to battery 1 or 2 .
I will be installing a BEP DVSR 714-140A soon and don't want to "fry" the connext screen still on the fence about installing.
might just keep a battery jumper and extra battery on board .
did you have the BEP when this happened ?
will like to avoid damaging anything.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
question @jcb1977
when you were switching through from 1 to both then 2 / or 1 to off then 2 were you turning off the boat first ?
I was told by the BEP tech no worries if i turn off the boat first before any switching to battery 1 or 2 .
I will be installing a BEP DVSR 714-140A soon and don't want to "fry" the connext screen still on the fence about installing.
might just keep a battery jumper and extra battery on board .
did you have the BEP when this happened ?
will like to avoid damaging anything.
This happened with the Blue Seas 4 position- 1/2/both/off switch (not a BEP)....The boat was off but batteries were connected to chargers when it happened it to me. The Perko has a switch that forces you switch through the "both" or "all" position instead of "off" which is a much better design.

having boat off/no loads and no chargers connected should be safe to switch to any position.

Vem2001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info .

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the BEP switch in a 2023 255XD. I should be able to turn the start battery to off and the house battery to on when parked to run stereo correct?
The stereo only runs if both switches are on. Could this be a wiring issue?
There is no reason to do that, the BEP switch does everything automatically to ensure the start battery is isolated and fully charged while the accessory or house loads are on the house battery. Turn on both the start and house switches with the emergency parallel switch off at the begging of the day and go boating and forget about it.

Not a wiring issue. While I’m not familiar with your boats wiring my guess would be the start battery has to be on for the connext screen to be on and that the connext screen is where the stereo controls are? I’m pretty sure a lot of other controls are routed through the connext screen is.