• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump Conundrum

Firemedic38

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok. Quick back story to make sure all is clear. I have an 08 AR230 with a Rule 500gpm Automatic Bilge located between the motors towards the back of the engine compartment. For the record…complete pain in the ass to access the bilge pump. Anyway, realized recently that the pump has been popping the breaker at the helm repeatedly. So I left it off until I got it home. Got the pump off the strainer (still connected to power and discharge hose) and found debris in the strainer. Assumed the issue was that i had a clog which was causing the breaker to trip. Cleaned that all out and the pump ran fine for a long time out of the water.

Today, back on the water. Pump starts tripping again. This continues through multiple power cycling attempts throughout the day. I then simply Turn it off until I get it off the water. Back on the trailer I run the pump and it discharges like normal. WTH!? Either work or don’t work! Don’t fail when i need it and work when I don’t. So now I’m confused and reaching out for help and any ideas you guys may have short of replacing it. That is in the cards and I’ve ordered a replacement but I’d still like to pinpoint the overall problem so I know and am not just replacing things just because.

Thanks!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s very old get a new one with a float switch those things are junk. It has water sensing technology that is probably faulty. More importanty get a cheap water alarm from amazon that runs on a 9volt battery hang the sensor 2” above the pick up of the bilge hang the siren in the engine compartment they are loud. This saved my 2005 boat from sinking since that pile of shit bilge pump wasn’t working, the one time my boat took on water the water alarm let me know my boat was on it’s way to sink. The 3 pack of water alarms with batteries for $20 saved me a lot of aggravation and could potentially save lives.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok. Quick back story to make sure all is clear. I have an 08 AR230 with a Rule 500gpm Automatic Bilge located between the motors towards the back of the engine compartment. For the record…complete pain in the ass to access the bilge pump. Anyway, realized recently that the pump has been popping the breaker at the helm repeatedly. So I left it off until I got it home. Got the pump off the strainer (still connected to power and discharge hose) and found debris in the strainer. Assumed the issue was that i had a clog which was causing the breaker to trip. Cleaned that all out and the pump ran fine for a long time out of the water.

Today, back on the water. Pump starts tripping again. This continues through multiple power cycling attempts throughout the day. I then simply Turn it off until I get it off the water. Back on the trailer I run the pump and it discharges like normal. WTH!? Either work or don’t work! Don’t fail when i need it and work when I don’t. So now I’m confused and reaching out for help and any ideas you guys may have short of replacing it. That is in the cards and I’ve ordered a replacement but I’d still like to pinpoint the overall problem so I know and am not just replacing things just because.

Thanks!
Did you check it again for debris? Have you tried rinsing the bilge out to remove debris?

Sounds like you have a couple of things that need to be done, add another bilge pump, and figure out where all the water is coming from, usually it’s the clean out tray not being sealed, the anchor locker drain is another, or it could be the deck drain scupper is failing, lots of folks have swapped out the factory plastic scupper thru hull for a stainless steel one. While it is a bit of work to find where the water is coming from, chances are good you could end up with a dry bilge at the end of the day.

Anchor locker drain upgrade thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/replaced-my-anchor-locker-drain-fitting-due-to-leaks.32891/

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check the wiring? Tripping the breaker constantly sounds like you might have a break in the line or arcing somewhere. At the very least, you have to get down there again, so take a multimeter and start testing - continuity sounds like it might be hit or miss, depending on if the wires are moved or bounced around, maybe there's a splice that's gone bad, a fitting that's corroded, etc.

The pump should be checked for continuity, but @Cambo makes a valid point, it's 16 years old. It may just be time for replacement. Testing/checking it first would be what I'd do, and while you're in there fiddling around - in for a penny, in for a pound - add a second pump and a water alarm.

Given the age, have you replaced the scupper valve with a stainless valve? If not, I'd say you're on borrowed time, and with a wonky bilge pump, I'd be waiting to take it out until I did that and/or addressed the bilge pump.