• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Boat ramp etiquette

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pretty good article …

I totally agree with having your poop in a group before getting on the ramp!!!! And not hogging the courtesy dock.

The only thing I sort of disagree with is power loading your boat.. just back your trailer in further and it doesn’t take as much power..

All good, common sense things. I’m with you, I dont see the big deal with power loading, I can’t see anybody who’s got some experience flooring the throttle, but maybe some do.

Power loading destroys ramps especially those that have concrete and gravel, etc.

Even our jets? I don’t mean flooring it, I get that, I mean some reasonable throttle.

Generally agree with most things.

It left out that trucks/trailers have the right of way at the dock. If your coming up to dock the boat and you see a trailer (loaded or unloaded) you should wait to see where they go first.

Courtesy dock is a tough one... I don't think I agree with their view of it. If it's being used to wait on a person - even if 30-40 minutes - I am fine with that. They are there for a reason.

All good, common sense things. I’m with you, I dont see the big deal with power loading, I can’t see anybody who’s got some experience flooring the throttle, but maybe some do.
We see idiots hitting the throttle all the time to get the boat on that last inch - they're too lazy to crank it a foot or an inch, so they just throttle up until it hits the bow roller. This kind of loading is what damages the ramps as it blasts away the seabed at the end of the concrete. If you just drive the boat onto the trailer and then crank it the last couple of feet, that doesn't hurt the ramp and you're not hogging the launch area for 10 minutes for the last few inches. Around here about 90% powerload and of all those hitting the throttle while powerloading, most of them are bass boats.

We see idiots hitting the throttle all the time to get the boat on that last inch - they're too lazy to crank it a foot or an inch, so they just throttle up until it hits the bow roller. This kind of loading is what damages the ramps as it blasts away the seabed at the end of the concrete. If you just drive the boat onto the trailer and then crank it the last couple of feet, that doesn't hurt the ramp and you're not hogging the launch area for 10 minutes for the last few inches. Around here about 90% powerload and of all those hitting the throttle while powerloading, most of them are bass boats.
Agree, I just don't see the need to power load. Yes the same is true where we boat, it is usually the bass boats that power load and tend to be the least considerate on the water.

I am sure I appear an idiot from time to time, but I will always "rope load". If I was to power on, I have to drive the car, then the boat, then winch, which means getting off the boat at the trailer, which would have happened after backing up the car. Instead, Family ropes boat in, while I'm already at the front of the trailer, after having backed up the car, and I just winch the last 3-4 feet in. (almost) Always in the first try, and the most time efficient. I get asked many time why I don't power it in, and almost always I beat in speed the people asking on the next ramp over who are power loading. A few well oiled machines where they have a good driver and a good boat captain (and they are not the same person) beat me by about a minute. but where the driver and captain is the same, I generally do win even while roping it in. I say if it takes 2 or 4 minutes you are doing quite well. over 10 and something is not quite right BUT Just be respectful of shared resources, don't be on the way of others longer than you have to, and you are at 90% of excellence already. What can you do slightly different that allows the ramp to flow better and release shared resources faster?... Is what you are doing at the shared resources essential to be done there? if not, do it where you are not blocking others from its use. It's the inaptly named, common sense factor.

The courtesy docks are big enough for one boat at all my local lakes so if someone is sitting there dinking around with stuff it stops the whole launch retrieve operation.

I guess my idea of power loading is different from others.. I do use some throttle to get it to the bow roller but my trailer is in the water far enough that it doesn’t require too much, I leave it in idle ahead while I jump off the bow onto the tailgate hook up the winch and pull it up the last foot or so. I have seen some folks with pontoons,, and wake boats using a lot of throttle to get on the trailer at my closest lake. The bottom beyond the end of the ramp is solid granite so there isn’t any wash out problems. Kinda the same at other lakes, I back in far enough so that my boat goes almost completely on the trailer, unless its windy, then I leave the trailer a bit higher so the bunks can grab more of the hull, same drill though except I will usually jump to the dock and then get to the tailgate from the dock. Even with the handicap of being by myself, I’m faster than most all others at getting my boat on the trailer and then outta there. When I have my pro crew with me, they drive the boat and I drive the truck, to launch takes about 30-45 seconds from the time I start to back down, and retrieving takes about 90-120 seconds, we have a very good system.And yes, I timed it. When launching the only thing holding the boat on the trailer is the safety chain, I back down and get the stern into the water and then get out to take off the chain at the same time my friend has the engines started, I jump in the truck and stick my thumbs up hand out the window and he gives me the conformation with his thumbs up, I back down with a little authority and give the boat a bit of a shove backwards and I pull away. When retrieving, as I’m backing down the ramp my friend is starting his approach, as the trailer fenders go under the water he is about 20’ out, I jump out and sit on the tailgate as he approaches with the hook in my hand, once the boat is on the bunks and stops I hook up the winch and pull until there is a load on the bow eye, I give him the signal and he gives a touch more throttle and I winch up the rest, give him the clenched double fists for all stop, get in the truck and put out a thumbs up, once I get conformation I pull the boat out.

When I’m by myself it takes 3 mins from backing down to boat tie up on the opposite side of the dock, to when I’m pulling away in my truck, and about 5 mins to retrieve from the time I start my backing down. Something I’m proud of, being able to get in and out quickly and efficiently. That was in the book I read when I first started boating, “how not to be a dick at the boat ramp”.

The other thing that is not mentioned in that article is to make sure your engine is going to run. Some of us have talked about how sometimes our engines take a bit to get started, well they start but then putter out. While I’m prepping for launch on a busy day at the ramp, I start the engines and let them run just long enough to get past those occasional start die, start die thing.

Just….

Be excellent to each other..

Last edited:
Around here a lot of the asshats power load. And this includes the Bass Boats as well. It is not pretty. I sit there and watch them and if most moved their trailer back into the water a bit more they wouldn't have to.

I basically back the trailer up and sink the front fenders a couple inches under the water. I either rope load or if because of a small dock I don't have the boat there or there is not enough room, I will slowly drive the boat toward the trailer and cut the engines and let it glide on to the trailer. Once it stops, usually perfectly center, I hope out and winch it the rest of the way. Coming up the ramp, while the bunks are still wet and after safety chain is, I do the 5mph hard stop to snug the boat, and tighten the winch.

The other thing that is not mentioned in that article is to make sure your engine is going to run. Some of us have talked about how sometimes our engines take a bit to get started, well they start but then putter out. While I’m prepping for launch on a busy day at the ramp, I start the engines and let them run just long enough to get past those occasional start die, start die thing.

I always start the engines on the trailer and let run for a few seconds, while staging, makes for a better experience.

This is a matter of perspective for where you live and boat. Power loading is essential on some the ramps we use in southeast Georgia. The currents and tides make all ramps different in regards to how you load your boat. The difference in putting your truck axles and brakes immersed in salt water, or power loading that last couple of feet is a real challenge. Also, some ramps are much steeper than others, or at low tide you simple cannot get far enough down the ramp without the trailer dropping off the edge. In addition, if i were to get out of the boat to crank it up 2', the ass of my boat would be in the marsh before my feet hit the ground. So, I respect the damage that it causes and try not to if possible, but it sometimes is unavoidable.

This is a matter of perspective for where you live and boat. Power loading is essential on some the ramps we use in southeast Georgia. The currents and tides make all ramps different in regards to how you load your boat. The difference in putting your truck axles and brakes immersed in salt water, or power loading that last couple of feet is a real challenge. Also, some ramps are much steeper than others, or at low tide you simple cannot get far enough down the ramp without the trailer dropping off the edge. In addition, if i were to get out of the boat to crank it up 2', the ass of my boat would be in the marsh before my feet hit the ground. So, I respect the damage that it causes and try not to if possible, but it sometimes is unavoidable.

Love it! Just do the best you can! Can’t wait to get out there! I’m using your Enough post today, going to put in a stainless piano hinge to make the anchor hatch open to the left, and some aluminum angle to support the hatch.. I will have an upcoming post on my anchor locker mods..

Well it finally happened, I snapped on a captain today. Was already frustrated with two assholes blocking my ability to backdown while they prep the boat. I finally got my truck down, went to get my boat tied up at a courtesy dock…. And a charter pontoon pulls in behind my truck even though there are other docks open. Eventually the boat next to him left so I was able to drive around him and load my boat, then I lost my cool and gave him my opinion. I then got corrected for using the wrong pronoun of the captain.

I’ve seen this person be a fool at the dock and dangerous at the sandbar so I think my frustration finally boiled over. I would bet money they are running illegal charters. In retrospect I could have handled it better though but it is what it is.

A$$hole was not the correct pronoun????

Bless your heart is the Texas equivalent.

It's hard to find the right balance to denounce public incompetence that's harming you.

There needs to be a ramp etiquette test prior to issuing registration renewals!! That can ruin a good day on the water. My wife and I have a system, it takes us less than 5 minutes to drop in and pull out.

Some of us have talked about how sometimes our engines take a bit to get started, well they start but then putter out.
I've seen this mentioned, but I've never had my engines sputter and die - they shouldn't since they're fuel injected. An older boat we had that was carb'd you had to vary the throttle a bit to keep it running when cold for the first start of the day as the choke would engage. Since moving to fuel injected engines, I've never had a boat engine stall.

It usually happens when the starting conditions are a lot different from the last running conditions. So at shutdown it might be 80-85° and I’ve been buzzing around the lake. Then in the morning it might be 40°. And I’m at 5000’ so the density altitude is greatly different. Sometimes it takes one try, sometimes it takes two start up rough idle then die and then stay running on the third. But when I was down at Lake Powell and was on the water for a week it started right up and purred each day.

My all time favorite was the morons who pulled their boat up out of the water and started unloading their boat while on the ramp. It was hard to ask them to move nicely because even if you are new it was obvious how everyone else was doing it (it was a busy day).

Also……teach your significant other or adult children to drive the damn boat. It takes a lot of stress out of the situation when they can motor off the trailer and come get you at the dock vs. your ass sprinting from the parking spot to get out of the way while your family stares at you from seated positions.

Back