• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Boat ramp etiquette

Nuff said

Task failed spectacularly. That's an impressive amount of power, puts those little boats in perspective.

Task failed spectacularly. That's an impressive amount of power, puts those little boats in perspective.

I would disagree. Using this method, you don't even need a trailer. Just strap it the top of the jeep like a piece of plywood.

That boat load fail eerily reminds of the owners of PWC's who've tried to ride their ski' right into the back of the truck bed and blow out the back window. Happens in an instant. Had a friend who for all his riding prowess thought it was acceptable to ride his Kawi 550 right out of the water and up the ramp. To this day I scratch my head at that. As for here in the 50th we could use a few highly visible signs about ramp courtesy.

Nuff said
Gotta say I’m scratching my head at this one.

He has so much of the trailer underwater (nice job with the front hitch) he could easily float it to the roller.

Jim

I think that was staged. If the jeep was backed in, he would have driven thru the back of the jeep. The trailer is deep to get the bow stop down near the water, under the bow eye, to use as a ramp to send him over the hood onto the roof. I think they have done that before.

I’m a power loading advocate especially when I’m alone, but if I can’t get the ramp n clamp to hook the boat properly on the first attempt, i kill the engines and get out to winch. If I’ve got crew with me and I’m not trying to show off my solo recovery skills, which gets rarer with age, I have them walk the boat onto the trailer with dock lines, it makes them feel like more than just passengers and promotes team building, communications, etc.

IMHO power loading isn’t a problem at the ramps I use most and I have yet to see any signs posted at any of the ramps I’ve used which indicate power loading is prohibited.

The real problem is inconsiderate boaters. Especially those that stage while the boat is on the trailer in the water at the ramp, or who block the ramp (put the tow vehicle in park at the waters edge to run to the porta potty or worse start wiping down their boats, pull the drain plug, attach the stern tie down straps etc.
How do I deal with it? Most of the time I don’t, that is i patiently wait it out and use another ramp if there is more than one. Often there is someone else there that is a lot more verbal and a lot less patient than I (innocence v experience) which results in a lot more yelling, screaming and delay, which can be very entertaining as well.

At the better managed ramps, like that in discovery bay, ca, there is a harbor master and numerous dock hands to manage launching and loading that would never allow boaters to block a ramp on a busy day. I have yet to see it happen but since it’s a private ramp that charges a $5 premium above the next closest ramp (I.e., $20 instead of $15 five miles away) I’d bet that if you argue with these guys or don’t follow their directions when it comes to launching or loading that they can ban you indefinitely from using the ramp in the future. On a hot day, especially on a weekend, there are no shortage of customers so losing revenue of one customer that inconvenience many others is not a concern so Karen’s beware. If it only cost me $5 more dollars to reduce or eliminate the chances of boat ramp drama I am all for it.

Last edited:
Man I am on a roll. Launched the 195 a little while ago. The Jeep and trailer are hugging are side of the ramp, I always back down as close to the side as possible to allow room for bigger boats across from me. (Each ramp is wide enough for 2 vehicles/trailers). When I deliver boats I keep the Jeep backed down and out of the way so I am not blocking anyone.

As I am giving my safety briefing to my renter the people next to us ask me to move my car. I look over extremely confused, he tells me his trailer is floating into mine and he doesn't want to hit my trailer. I appreciate the feedback but thats not my problem. I tell him to give me 5 minutes but he keeps going off about my poor ramp etiquette. Keeping things professional, I pull the Jeep out enough for trailer out of water (now blocking the ramp) and let him be. He then proceeded to power load the boat (aggressively) with the trailer so deep it was floating.

Kept my cool relatively good this time, if this was a personal trip I would have probably told him he's an idiot and offered to teach him how to trailer and load.

Boat Ramp etiquette should also apply to gas station. Filled up on my way home, half of WaWa was just cars parked in front of pumps while they went inside.

My wife and I are older and she’s afraid to drive my truck, let alone learn to back up a trailer. I have arthritis issues so I’m not that flexible. We launch and tie off at the dock until I return from parking the truck. It’s the only way it can work for us. When I was younger and had speedboats, I could launch and retrieve in seconds. Those days are long gone. We go during the week to avoid the crowds. This year is going to be insane with the high water levels.

My wife and I are older and she’s afraid to drive my truck, let alone learn to back up a trailer. I have arthritis issues so I’m not that flexible. We launch and tie off at the dock until I return from parking the truck. It’s the only way it can work for us. When I was younger and had speedboats, I could launch and retrieve in seconds. Those days are long gone. We go during the week to avoid the crowds. This year is going to be insane with the high water levels.

Sounds polite and reasonable to me @RobbieO!

Standard practice, nothing wrong here!

+1

Wife and I are in our early 60’s, and she doesn’t like to drive my truck and would not want to try backing up the trailer. This is something I need to teach her to do in the case of an emergency. We also do our water related things (beach, fishing, boating during the week to avoid the crowds) - it’s great to be retired to have this flexibility!

Jim

+1

Wife and I are in our early 60’s, and she doesn’t like to drive my truck and would not want to try backing up the trailer. This is something I need to teach her to do in the case of an emergency. We also do our water related things (beach, fishing, boating during the week to avoid the crowds) - it’s great to be retired to have this flexibility!

Jim
I've often wondered about that. This year I need to teach my wife to drive the boat in case of emergency, because its just the 2 of us. She won't even back her car into the garage. Backing the trailer is never going to happen.

Not really etiquette but I’m sitting at the ramp and watched an AR250 remove the safety chain before backing down.I saw this yesterday too with another boat. Safety chain should always be on unless the trailer is in the water.

I see that a lot.

I actually did that a few times when I first got the boat. The ramps were not steep. After seeing a few video's of boats falling off and understanding that it doesn't take much to break the friction between the boat and the bunks, I always now wait till the boat is over/in the water before removing that safety chain.

Would be bad if I had to slam on the brakes while backing up because someone/kid ran behind my boat on the ramp. Which happens alot with all the kid excitement.

Then there is when people get the trailer in the water but it is at an angle so they pull all the way out to straighten out. Bunks are when then, could slide of easier.

Not really etiquette but I’m sitting at the ramp and watched an AR250 remove the safety chain before backing down.I saw this yesterday too with another boat. Safety chain should always be on unless the trailer is in the water.
I agree 100%. Last summer the ramps were extremely steep here in Ca. I was taking my boat out and apparently didn't lock the winch strap. When I got to the parking lot the safety chain was the only thing that kept me from losing the boat. That was a scary AF moment and a great reminder why it's there.

I think I’m at the ramp too much lol

Relatively normal day on 3 trips to the ramp. Just one older group of people, backed down middle of ramp.They had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Took them 15 minutes to figure out the tow straps. Wasn’t too busy so was more comical than frustrating.

I think I’m at the ramp too much lol

Relatively normal day on 3 trips to the ramp. Just one older group of people, backed down middle of ramp.They had absolutely no idea what they were doing. Took them 15 minutes to figure out the tow straps. Wasn’t too busy so was more comical than frustrating.
One of the things I look forward to when I finally retire. Golf cart, cooler of beer, parked on side of boat ramp for Saturday afternoon entertainment ?

Back