• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat ride from new York to Nantucket

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any ever take a 19 ft boat from new York area to Nantucket?? If so how was the ride . Was it difficult to manage. Also how long was the ride and did you have to fuel on your way there .
Im just curious to see if that is a normal size boat to take there and if is an easy, pleasant ride there . My wife wants to go there and I’m getting a 19ft jet boat. So before I get it wondering if I should get a 21ft instead.

jdbakerucf

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
not sure about the trip, but there is a saying out there that goes something along the lines of, "buy your second boat first!" (assuming its financially feasible).

I started out with a 19ft jet boat and within a year I ended up upgrading to a 21ft'er. so I can definitely attest to that saying....

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great advice. I think I am gonna do the 21 sx210 from Yamaha. My order was canceled this year so I originally order an sx190. But I’ll take this as a blessing to upgrade before trading in . Future prof the boat .

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You also get 2 engines, so you can get home on one if you have issues with the other.

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s exactly what my thought was. Bigger more seats bigger gas tank and a bit wider. Plus how I’m doing my loan it’s 180 months so it will be 100$ more a month. I think it’s a no brainer. Plus it comes with so much more standard features that if I where to buy in a 19ft it’s almost pay for its self . Now I just get an extra engine better trailer and everything I would have bought anyway . Like filler cushion the mats and the extra stuff it comes with . I think I’m not gonna think too much into it and just get it . Especially cuz my wife wants to go to the bigger bodies of water . So that way she will feel a bit more secure in a 21ft

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Watch out for us…We love to spend other peoples money for them.;)

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I took a large passenger shuttle boat from Cape Cod to Nantucket, a lot shorter trip, and I can tell you there is no frigging way I would have tried that in my 242!

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really it’s that bad of a trip . Iv seen people do it . Just not sure what size boat it was

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the trip from Narragansett RI to New York on a 26 foot Larson cabin cruiser and it sucked in the Block Island Sound. Extremely rough. If i did it again nothing smaller than a 30 foot heavy boat with twins

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done that trip scores of times, on various ferries. It is 100% weather dependent, as in there are days that it's smooth enough, but that is not typical. Sometimes it's glass, but I've also been on a ferry that got out past the breakwaters and turned around. If you go, make sure to leave yourself a window for getting back.

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. This is something that my wife said she’d like to do but definitely don’t have to do. Maybe once I get more experience driving the boat in chop we will consider it. There are plenty of different places like that we can go to like Martha’s Vineyard. But ima guess there is just as bad too.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can take your boat anywhere if you have time. If you do not have to worry about time and adjust to nature/weather conditions you should be good with your boat

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. This is something that my wife said she’d like to do but definitely don’t have to do. Maybe once I get more experience driving the boat in chop we will consider it. There are plenty of different places like that we can go to like Martha’s Vineyard. But ima guess there is just as bad too.
Here, let me try and spend more of your money…there aren’t any Uhauls following the hearse to the graveyard… buy the bigger boat..

After reading through all of these posts and your comments as well, it seems like you might be well served with either a 255 FSH or a 252 FSH with the 252 FSH being closer to your budget. These boats have an offshore inspired / designed hull and those that have them and go off shore have reported great handling in the bigger water. These hulls have considerably higher free board as well, and a 111 gallon fuel tank for longer excursions.

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
That would be a lot of fuel to get from NY to Nantucket. Plus if the waters are rough, it will be a slow ride.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We just did our annual trip from Jamesport NY to Block Island In a friends 28' regal, That water gets rough with sets of rogue waves that toss it around that will beat the snot out of a small boat and Nantucket is three times the distance. The way you do it is simple trailer the boat to the closest boat ramp In Massachusetts look for early am calm conditions. If you are an adrenaline junky that sky dives with a flying suit, climbs rock walls with no ropes or other similar things that most consider insane then you will enjoy the ride.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I no longer have a Yamaha moved on to a bigger boat and I don’t think I’d do that trip in anything less than perfect conditions in my 29 footer. I’ve been in the Long Island sound and it gets real snotty. You can make it sure but I don’t think it would be enjoyable in a 21 footer Yamaha. These boats are light and bouncy part of the reason I sold mine not sure if they changed hull material but the boat in general was light and not comfortable in the chop I constantly found myself in. I agree with the above poster of bigger waters are going to your thing the 255 fsh or another boat all together more geared toward that would be much better.

sandtiago83

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I no longer have a Yamaha moved on to a bigger boat and I don’t think I’d do that trip in anything less than perfect conditions in my 29 footer. I’ve been in the Long Island sound and it gets real snotty. You can make it sure but I don’t think it would be enjoyable in a 21 footer Yamaha. These boats are light and bouncy part of the reason I sold mine not sure if they changed hull material but the boat in general was light and not comfortable in the chop I constantly found myself in. I agree with the above poster of bigger waters are going to your thing the 255 fsh or another boat all together more geared toward that would be much better.
Thanks for your wisdom, I’ll consider bigger or just not even trying to make a trip like that . I was just curious as far as how the boat would handle a trip of that length on open water.