• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bouncy Shoreland'r Trailer? Carlisle Stands Behind Their Product

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure to use as large a diameter washer as possible. The ones I used are something like 2" OD. And some belting or robber underneath the washers.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just dropped off my boat at the dealership for its first service. Showed them the fenders and brackets already cracked. They said they would check into it and have never ever seen a problem like this before, ever, I am the first. Let's see what they will do. Ha
-Shorlandr for the trailer parts (they pushed me to their major East coast Distributor, Shorco, who had dealt with this before)
-Carlisle (or Carlstar) for the tire replacement (assuming you have the bias ply to radial issue)
My dealer was too confused by all of this so I took care of the paperwork and part orders, delivered to my house, and will bring it to them to fix/install.
Just got off the phone with the my dealer. They said they where working on getting the fenders replaced. They said the tires are fine and shorelander has had zero complaints about this problem. Between Yamaha, my dealer , Shitlander and Carlise they are all a bunch if liers.
I skipped my dealer as they were confused whenever I brought up the trailer & Shoreland'r.

1 call to Shoreland'r & they gave me the number of their East Coast Distributor, Shoco. 1 call to Shoco and an email with pictures attached and proof of purchase (title) and they sent the replacement brackets and fender bolts. (pictures were of cracked brackets and 5 missing fender bolts. Have 3K miles on '16 trailer. (Bimini baby!!))

1 call to Carlise (Carlstar) and they sent the warranty form. Sent it filled in with a few pictures and they approved replacement radials in 5 working days. 7-10 days to ship.

I am still undecided on who is going to do the replacement work. Asked my dealer to figure out what their plan would be to do this work. If it gives me confidence, I'll have them do it (my preference). If they stay confused, I'll do it myself.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Fozzy, it seems that you are suffering from a case of crappydealeritis. It's a fecal-based infection that affects many Yamaha jet boats.
So, you're getting new fenders :)thumbsup:), now all you need to do is work with Carlisle directly to get the tires replaced. In my case, Shoreland'r was receptive to my observations of a cracking fender, but they wanted to have the "normal process" followed where the dealer places the claim. So, I took pics, and my dealer placed the claim. My dealer had nothing to do with the tire replacement. Deal directly with Carlstar for that. Simply state that Shoreland'r is replacing parts that have cracked from cold-hardening/fatigue because of the vibrations that the tires are producing, but you expect the same problem to happen again unless the root cause is corrected. Share the fact that you are aware that this is a known issue, and that replacing the bp tires with radials is the ultimate fix. Share that you are impressed that Carlstar has stepped up to correct this problem, based on jetboaters.net forum posting. Pictures are helpful especially if you don't have a voice that makes you sound very honest and trustworthy like mine...:winkingthumbsup"
Don't give up @Fozzy

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes my dealer sucks. From beginning to end. I would not have bought this boat if I new the dealer sucks so bad. They where late in delivery by 2 weeks. Did not clean it or detail it. Filed the wrong vin on the trailer and boat. Messed up the loan docs. Didn't install the high altitude impellers, but said they did. Then all this other Bs. I do like the boat but will probably get rid of it just because of the dealer. My last boat was a Sea Ray and they treated me like I just bought the biggest yacht they make. Sea Ray uses shorelander. Their trailers came with Goodyear Marathon radials and a good bow roller. Oh well.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Filed my claim this weekend with Carlisle after providing the warranty claim form along with all the documentation for trailer and tires. You will need to provide proof of purchase of trailer as well from dealer. Now the waiting begins.
In case anyone is wondering what information you need for the claim form I have attached a blank copy of the one sent to me by their claim representative. You need to call them to get assigned a claim representative not just submit a form.

First page of the attachment is for the tires, Second page is if you have wheels and Third is for their ITP tires?

Attachments

Last edited:

Pwabbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had the same issues as everyone else on the forum. I have a 2014 242LS with a painted Shoreland'r trailer. After seeing the posts regarding the Shoreland'r trailers I looked a little deeper into my trailer issues. I too had missing fender diamond plate bolts, and thought that replacing the stock nuts with nyloc nuts would solve my problems. My port side middle fender bracket was completely cracked and both port and starboard fenders had wear through holes from rubbing on the tires. I followed others suggestions on the forum and contacted Shoreland'r and started the warranty claim process. I received two new fender assemblies free of charge in about two weeks. At the same time I contacted Carlisle and made a warranty claim against the bias ply tires, even though my trailer sticker calls for bias ply or radial tires. It has taken Carlisle a little longer, but just yesterday after following up with the customer service rep, my replacement radials (5) are shipping today. I have also filed a report with the NTHSB using my VIN make model and a detailed description of the issues. I would urge everyone with one of these Shoreland'r trailers to make a careful inspection of all your fender parts and make warranty claims as necessary. I am thankful for the forum and the members that have helped point out these potentially disastrous defects and have shown how to correct them. I think the root cause of these problems lies with Yamaha. They are the ones that spec the bias ply tires for these trailers, just to save $6.00 per tire or $30.00 for a tandem axle trailer. Shoreland'r and Carlisle are just fulfilling the orders as they are placed. I think Shoreland'r and Carlisle have really stepped up to the plate to help solve the problems that are caused by Yamaha, who refuses to do anything about this issues. Best of luck to everyone facing these same issues.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Steven Small

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20160913_165835.jpg
Thisis the right side between the tandems. Also the fenders are cracked where the carriage bolts go through the top to secure the fender.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My fender mounts broke 3 months after buying my boat. Thanks for the info.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IMG_4677.JPG View attachment 46226 Tires have arrived from Carlstar (Carlisle)
Now waiting for wheel well brackets and bolts from Shoreland'r-
Then pitching it to dealer to construct. They don't have a tire mounting tool-
Need to figure out how to get them to do the bolts 'right' with large washers and rubber under head of bolt....

View attachment 46226

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think swapping to radial tires has made a big difference. I see a lot less lateral shaking of the fender in my side view when towing. That said I still believe that there is insufficient lateral support for the top and inside of the fenders because of the gauge or design of the middle support bracket. I know I have already said that before but now I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has done a complete radial tire and fender swap that has had the cracks reoccur? I am crossing my fingers that it won't reoccur but something tells me if the design was weak enough to succumb to bias ply tires then it is under engineered.

I believe that Yamaha may have tried to save money when specifying what to use on the trailer (bow roller is a good case in point). That said the manufacturer of the trailer is ultimately responsible for its safety and should not allow something unsafe or untested to leave the factory. The load plate on my trailer only has radials listed. If they had done any real testing at all with bias plys they would have found this issue. In my mind it mostly falls on Shoreland'r. As also mentioned the pathetic amount of grease also points to sloppy quality control. The fact that there have been numerous complaints to Shoreland'r and they have not at least issued a safety notice in advance of a safety recall is bothersome on both the part of the Shoreland'r and Yamaha as it is my bet that Yamaha know by now and they have some power here. Is it a safety issue? Yes. Is it going to cost a lot to do a recall and replace both the tires and the fenders? Yes. Does question two matter if the answer to question one is Yes? Well the sad reality is that question two is probably question one and the only one that matters in big companies as they take strategic risks even with peoples safety when money is on the line.

Do you hear us Shorland'r and Yamaha? These trailers are going to cause an accident one day and you do know about it. Now go to bed thinking about that and do something about it tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant fellow jetboaters. Preventable safety stuff bothers me to no end and I get my highs from high altitude and/or high speed sooooo.

My closing thought is continue to report this as it happens to the NHSTB and pray that more complaints move it higher on their list to investigate.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The story should be :
The Shoreland'r trailer sold with Yamaha boats have fender brackets that are failing and pose a safety hazard. They need to be linked in a public manner. Then maybe the two will sit down and do the right thing voluntarily .

In the mean time as stated previously numerous times , contact the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236 and make it known to them!

I might make a sign to attach to my boat : ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILING SHORELAND'R TAILER!

I finally got a warranty claim form sent to me from Carlisle, and both my fenders are getting replaced at the dealer next week.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Brackets, bolts and radial tires are in and delivered to dealer.

Let's see how they do.

Heading to NY with the boat this weekend so immediate couple hundred mile test, out of the gate-

IMG_4992.JPG

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just got my new fenders installed today. The dealership said that it doesn't look like Shoreland'r changed the design of any of the parts. I might disassemble and replace the tooth-type lock washers with nylon-locking nuts, and also add some washers, if I need to tow any long distance.

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I'm away from my boat and want to get the warranty form in ASAP. Do any of you happen to have the specs for the trailer such as GVWR, actual weight, etc. that they ask for? And did you list the 5 tires as FAILED on the spreadsheet?
For those of you that received them mounted and balanced, did you complete the wheel form too?
Just looking for the best chance of getting this issue resolved and I'd like to be able to take the tires in when I get my new fenders put on. Thanks in advance for any help.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JTC1016, maybe someone with a 2016 24 footer, like @Glen can answer your questions. I think that you can expect to get tires only. Good luck.