• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bouncy Shoreland'r Trailer? Carlisle Stands Behind Their Product

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@JTC1016, maybe someone with a 2016 24 footer, like @Glen can answer your questions. I think that you can expect to get tires only. Good luck.
@JTC1016, thx for the kick @MrMoose, forgotten I had taken these. (My boat is at dealer now getting tires, brackets, bolts and FINALLY THE BALLAST CONTROL COMPUTER!!!!
Get to use it Fri or Sat on Long Island (My home waters; Northport, NY)

Attachments

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpeg Got home from getting my new fenders installed at the dealer and look what I find!
Another missing bolt....

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 46600 Got home from getting my new fenders installed at the dealer and look what I find!
Another missing bolt....
Chip are you sure it was there before you left the dealer. I wonder if they maybe put the bolt in but didn't attach the washer and nut underneath to hold it in place. Definitely want to check the tightness on the all the other bolts now.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tocelli I'm sure everything was together before I left. I did not hear back from my claim yet for tires and the new fenders are just the same as the old ones and it was bouncing like crazy. I have a 2.75 hr ride from the dealer to my home so it was a good test. Looks like nothing different was done to the bracket to try to beef it up or stabilize it. I think a simple triangular gusset placed below the bolt and above the bolt would work.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tocelli I'm sure everything was together before I left. I did not hear back from my claim yet for tires and the new fenders are just the same as the old ones and it was bouncing like crazy. I have a 2.75 hr ride from the dealer to my home so it was a good test. Looks like nothing different was done to the bracket to try to beef it up or stabilize it. I think a simple triangular gusset placed below the bolt and above the bolt would work.
Just @McMark it. That is the best solution at least for now with the fenders we have.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2015-shorlandr-trailers-are-having-issues-with-fender-brackets-cracking.10197/page-2#post-189455
The bolt holes are cut rectangular and those diamond plates will start cracking in corners, if you put the bolts back without fender washers and some rubber underneath.
Thank you for keeping everyone here posted.

Last edited:

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpeg
Checked all bolts and on the other side found a crack on the diamond plate. Shoreland'r is going to know my name tomorrow !

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got my tires on Friday. I still have to take trailer to dealer to replace the fender that is cracking. Took about 2 weeks to get the tires from Carlisle . Was hoping they were on the rims like first post , but I will take the 5 radials.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow!!!
1) Yamaha goes with low bid garbage....denies there is an issue.
2) Leaves you guys to contact the different companies involved.
3) You get to negotiate and prove your claim with each company.
4) You get to arrange and schedule repairs around your schedule.
5) Yamaha responds with price increases each model year! What a great company!

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is crazy. Yamaha is NOT concerned for the safety of their customers who may be impacted by this problem ! I love my boat but as I said in my customer survey, I will have to think twice before purchasing another for the simple fact that they do not respect the safety of customers who spend tens of thousands of dollars on their boat to even tell them that there is a problem with the trailers they sell their boats on. They don't even tell dealers to inspect the trailer when they come in for service!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Picked up my trailer with replaced radial tires, replaced wheel well brackets and bolts on Thursday PM.
Fri AM checked all the tire pressures and greased the bearings and trailer.
Drove about 600 miles to and from NY (Long Island) and there are some pretty rough roads (potholes and such) around Manhattan, but got back tonight and the driver wheel well bracket is already cracking and the well is shaking pretty noticeably.

2 Facts from out experience:
-Visibly shaking wheel well is absolutely the indication that you have a wheel well bracket that is cracked/cracking
-The factory designed solution for the wheel well bracket is insufficient for the task. Ours did not survive 600 miles with perfectly filled, new and balanced radial tires.

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm surprised with your outcome @Glen
Thanks for sharing it in such a timely manner.
I understand what you are saying in that the bracket design is not up to the task. The camel's back is weak, there is more than one type of straw that can break it.
I'm posting this because I think that it is important for you to make sure that you do not have a harmonics-related issue.
After replacing my tires, and before replacing my fenders, my cracked fender didn't vibrate at highway speeds, so it looks like the radial tires solved the harmonics issue associated with the initial cracking on my trailer.
If your fender with the cracked bracket is vibrating on a smooth road surface, you may still have a harmonics-related issue.
I know that it's a pita, but if there's a smooth stretch of road that you can use for some test runs, it might be a good idea to use it to see if both fenders vibrate. If only one side vibrates, then switch the tires from one side to the other to see if the vibration follows the tires.
I'm only suggesting this because my fender with the cracked bracket did not vibrate with my new radial tires.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm surprised with your outcome @Glen
Thanks for sharing it in such a timely manner.
I understand what you are saying in that the bracket design is not up to the task. The camel's back is weak, there is more than one type of straw that can break it.
I'm posting this because I think that it is important for you to make sure that you do not have a harmonics-related issue.
After replacing my tires, and before replacing my fenders, my cracked fender didn't vibrate at highway speeds, so it looks like the radial tires solved the harmonics issue associated with the initial cracking on my trailer.
If your fender with the cracked bracket is vibrating on a smooth road surface, you may still have a harmonics-related issue.
I know that it's a pita, but if there's a smooth stretch of road that you can use for some test runs, it might be a good idea to use it to see if both fenders vibrate. If only one side vibrates, then switch the tires from one side to the other to see if the vibration follows the tires.
I'm only suggesting this because my fender with the cracked bracket did not vibrate with my new radial tires.
So the harmonics need to be caused by something.
I can only think of 3:
- balance of tires
- round of wheel
- period of roadsurface imperfections.

Are there others?

The first 2 should be detectable with checking the balance of the current tires.
3rd just has to be engineered for.

I am going to bring back to dealer once the season is gone to find problem and fix. They need to carry their 'weight'.

I did contact Shorco directly and they have forwarded to Midwest for input.

Did find that the port ballast box is broken. Crazy right???!!!

Last edited:

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I made a 7 hour drive to Lake George this summer. Along the way I lost a bearing buddy and another bolt on the plastic diamond plate.

I know the bearing buddy was in as I gave them all a tap to ensure they were seated correctly. But not sure if the tires could cause that much vibrating.

I will be putting in a claim.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great topic guys! I also bought a new AR240 from Grand Point Marina in Lansing. First month I noticed the fenders shaking then found a bolt on each side missing! Never thought to look at the brackets. Also, I've noticed the bouncing and vibrating at towing speeds and thought it to be peculiar. I tow a travel trailer as well and never noticed and never noticed when I towed my old Crownline on an Eagle trailer. I will be sure to now give it a thorough check as we tow to N MI about 2hrs away quite frequently. I hope Shorelander addresses this defect/issue as it poses a true danger not only to other drivers but my 4 little ones in the Yukon. Love this damn boat though, so fun! Please keep the posts and updates coming...
IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0215.JPG

I posted this under a different thread but this one seems to have the best exposure. To follow up with this initial post...
To my surprise this situation is happening to many owners as the incorrect tires(bias ply) were fitted to the trailers that specifically call for a radial tire. Long story short, I contacted Carlstar Group who manufactures the tires and they are sending me 5 radial replacements FOR FREE! Shorelander is also replacing the broken brackets.
Got my tires now in the garage. So now, what is the best place to have them mounted? Is the dealership responsible to remount and balance the tires along with replacing the broken brackets? It's my first "new" boat and I love it, but for $50k+ I find this process and solution to be irresponsible and unacceptable. Not only is there the risk of losing a brand new boat, but more importantly, I have 4 little ones traveling with me excited to go play on the water. I bought new from a reputable company for a reputable product as we all did. Yamaha has to address this situation. Add me to the list of supporters!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great topic guys! I also bought a new AR240 from Grand Point Marina in Lansing. First month I noticed the fenders shaking then found a bolt on each side missing! Never thought to look at the brackets. Also, I've noticed the bouncing and vibrating at towing speeds and thought it to be peculiar. I tow a travel trailer as well and never noticed and never noticed when I towed my old Crownline on an Eagle trailer. I will be sure to now give it a thorough check as we tow to N MI about 2hrs away quite frequently. I hope Shorelander addresses this defect/issue as it poses a true danger not only to other drivers but my 4 little ones in the Yukon. Love this damn boat though, so fun! Please keep the posts and updates coming...
View attachment 46759 View attachment 46760

I posted this under a different thread but this one seems to have the best exposure. To follow up with this initial post...
To my surprise this situation is happening to many owners as the incorrect tires(bias ply) were fitted to the trailers that specifically call for a radial tire. Long story short, I contacted Carlstar Group who manufactures the tires and they are sending me 5 radial replacements FOR FREE! Shorelander is also replacing the broken brackets.
Got my tires now in the garage. So now, what is the best place to have them mounted? Is the dealership responsible to remount and balance the tires along with replacing the broken brackets? It's my first "new" boat and I love it, but for $50k+ I find this process and solution to be irresponsible and unacceptable. Not only is there the risk of losing a brand new boat, but more importantly, I have 4 little ones traveling with me excited to go play on the water. I bought new from a reputable company for a reputable product as we all did. Yamaha has to address this situation. Add me to the list of supporters!

I brought the tires, bracket, and bolts to my dealer, with the boat, and they took care of it all.
They are not a Shorland'r dealer so they had to establish a relationship with them so that the dealer can bill Shorland'r for the warranty work (labor).
My dealer tells me that they have all the gear to mount and balance the tires, but after my first 600-mile trip, immediately after the repair, I again have a cracked bracket.
At this point we are not sure if the repair was done poorly (tires not balanced, wheels not round) and causing unusual vibration (that caused the new crack on the new bracket), or if the bracket is just under-engineered.

My gut believes it is both and hoping that the wave of warranty work happening right now will cause Shorland'r/Midwest to reinforce the wheel well bracket that we will all eventually get.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already have missing bolts again....no cracks yet but bolts that came loose and now gone....I'm gonna contact my dealer and see what I can work out to get out of this trailer and get the galvanized one....this is f'ing ridiculous. I'm not gonna wait to be a victim on this thing falling apart on me.

Shorelander......SHAME ON YOU!

Yamaha....I expect better. Drop them or get if fixed!

Ezloader....time to start calling yamaha to get in the game!!

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So are we going through all the work of making claims and visiting dealers while worrying about towing to determine that it's pointless? Nobody wants to do this repeatedly. It's a PITA and time consuming. Maybe I'll have the dealer hold the parts until a better solution is found. Thanks for the info guys...definitely is a bummer at the end of boating season.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wish you guys could have experience MFI, a totally crap trailer. The Shorelandr is head and shoulders above that piece of crap. I just replaced my tires before a 2000 mile trip, that only had maybe 2500-3000 miles on them. I had the Sport Trail (bias ply) and bought the Radial Trail (radial). And I towed it to Powell and back. I don't know for sure, but it didn't bounce before and doesn't now. Mine is a 2012...I will inspect more carefully and report back.