• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015+ Shorlandr trailers are having issues with fender brackets cracking

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I so hope you guys figure out some consensus solution and post it here. In the meantime, I am totally on the fence about replacing my (whatever they are carslile?) bias ply tires with radials. The reason being - I noticed these trailers really drag those tires sideways during slow speed tight turns, which on hard pavement, like my aggregate driveway, can be a problem...

I think @Bruce addressed some of it recently here:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/radial-tire-belt-separation-can-cause-blowouts.10177/

For strictly highway driving, I think radials are the way to go, no question. But I noticed that when making tight turns, there are tremendous forces pushing the tires in these double axle trailers sideways. Depending on a particular layout, either front or rear axle can act as a pivot. Tires inflated to the max, trailer leveled, etc.

If I turn real tight the wheels/tires can end up sitting completely out of whack (I mean out of alignment with each other), toe in or toe out depending on a turn. When it happens, I pull up and down until it's back inline... But, it can be looking a little scary...

I have not looked into the suspension options etc. and don't know if that is because of the suspension type/tuning. Just wondering.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The inner plastic part of the fender wiggles a lot. I wonder if this was supported at the middl brackets somehow if it would cure some if the issues. My thinking is that the oscillation is causing some of the issues.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad I read this. On my way home from Hilton head to Pa I was watching my left fender and it looked to be vibrating much more than the right side. I'll do a complete inspection tomorrow.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure this is obvious to everyone, but I still catch myself forgetting about it:
The images reflected in a convex mirror (passenger side) look smaller than they are -- they're compressed. Driver's side mirrors are flat.
(This is to avoid image distortion on the driver's side, per U.S. regulations. )

--

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My inspections on my three week old trailer, I already contacted my dealer and they said they never heard of the problem. I will also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration @ 1-888-327-4236. I personally think it warrants an investigation. Last page of the owners manual for the trailer has all the info. I encourage everyone who has similar problems to do the same the more who contact the more likelihood it will open an investigation. If the fender flys off or just the diamond plate piece peels back it could kill someone while on the road.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Steve20

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just picked up my 2016 242 Limited S and on way home noticed the port side fender cover shakes more than the other. Will definitely keep an eye on them. Thanks for the heads up.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at just the pictures from this thread and my two pictures (both sides of trailer) of the support arms where they bolt to the trailer, the crack lines are very similar. So much so that the pattern would logically suggest the same root cause. This could be a combination of things and not just one, meaning, this could be weak material of the support arm, poor design to hold the fender to the trailer which does not eliminate all the potential vibration of the fender and vibration exhibited by use of bias ply. The fracture appears to be more horizontal than vertical, which seems to suggest that more up & down forces exerted on the part leading to failure.

I've already called Carlisle and filed a paperwork with them to see if they will replace my tires for Radials. I expect to hear back from them next week. My trailer/boat is also already back at my dealer and they are looking into getting everything fixed. I plan on calling Shorelander next week to see who I can talk to about the design of the trailer and see what kind of noise I can make there. I do believe there is a serious issue here that needs to be addressed. I will be calling NHTSA as well.

Pictures below are from this thread from order of posting. (@JTC1016 @Chip F. Last two are mine)

upload_2016-8-20_11-15-25.png

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well add me to the list Port side only so far.20160821_155628[1].jpg

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well add me to the list Port side only so far.View attachment 44525
@subysti yours looks like everyone elses...almost same pattern of crack. I think earlier in this thread someone had a picture of the crack starting at the bottom where the metal is bent.

One thing's for sure, once I get my trailer back I'll be watching these parts like a hawk and first sign of a crack I'll be calling.

Greg M

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
my port side had been like this since the second week of picking up our 2014 242 ls last week of june 2014. I was lucky enough to have a friend that can weld galvanised... he did. it broke again in may.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce Tool mark I'm guessing. Looks like none of them have washers.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No washers on mine either. No cracks that I can detect in over 7k miles of trailering. I might safety wire the fender mount just in case so it can't swing. I have another big tow in late October.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No washers on mine either. No cracks that I can detect in over 7k miles of trailering. I might safety wire the fender mount just in case so it can't swing. I have another big tow in late October.
Good for you @McMark! You definitely have enough mileage on your trailer to reveal the problem if it exists on your trailer. It looks like you got 4 good tires. Did you experience any problems with your trailer? Do you see any vibration in your fenders when on the highway?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I hit 72-75mph the fenders shake some. Below 70 it's smooth sailing. I usually try to just stick 65 and settle in for the ride. When I first heard about folks having the diamond plate crack, I took the biggest fender washers I could find, cut a disc the same diameter from rubber for under the washer and put it back together. That small head carriage bolt is a stress riser in the aluminum diamond plate for sure. Especially if it's shaking.

Ive had good luck with my trailer. I'd be bummed since I bought the boat as much to treat myself to a new trailer.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I hit 72-75mph the fenders shake some. Below 70 it's smooth sailing. I usually try to just stick 65 and settle in for the ride. When I first heard about folks having the diamond plate crack, I took the biggest fender washers I could find, cut a disc the same diameter from rubber for under the washer and put it back together. That small head carriage bolt is a stress riser in the aluminum diamond plate for sure. Especially if it's shaking.

Ive had good luck with my trailer. I'd be bummed since I bought the boat as much to treat myself to a new trailer.
@McMark I like your idea of fitting the washers w/rubber gaskets! I think I'm going to copy you.
Assuming your are riding on bias-ply (D), not radials (R)? Did you bother to have them balanced?

There are certain things I like about bias-ply tires, especially for those trailers, as they can really drag the wheels completely sideways in tight turns. The stress on the thread must be enormous, which is where bias-ply should shine. @Bruce has mentioned that, too.
I don't know...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the original bias ply that came with the trailer. Never balanced. I'll take a quick picture of the washers for you tonight.