• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bouncy Shoreland'r Trailer? Carlisle Stands Behind Their Product

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Seems to me Shoreland'r needs to be held accountable. Not Carlisle.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@MrMoose

I agree. Considering they simply provided the tires and rims that Shoreland'r contracted.

Pwabbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seems to me Shoreland'r needs to be held accountable. Not Carlisle.
I think that ultimately Yamaha is the one that needs to be held accountable as they are the one's that specified the bias ply tires.

I finally received the five replacement radials and got them mounted last Friday. Heading to Lake Powell this weekend, 450 mile round trip. I will post my results next week and will also post some photos of the upgrades I have made to the trailer and comment on how they hold up. Fingers crossed!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good heads up. I guess any local Goodyear or Firestone could do it as long as it will fit through the door. Definitely a hassle but nice that they've replaced them. Shouldn't have to incur out of pocket costs but nature of the beast I guess. If anyone has received the new fender brackets please post your opinions if it's a different or the same bracket...I don't intend to replace it with an identical piece. It'll only happen again.
Dealer replaced the tires with balanced radials and both brackets. Went on one trip of about 450 miles and one of my brackets is already cracked. Posted earlier in thread.
Since not going on any long trips, will bring trailer back again once I get one more day on the water before Winter.

Bottom-line, same bracket and immediately cracked again after 1st trip.

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@john94si I can only assume that Carlisle has reached their breaking point on this. If you are experiencing vibrations such that one or both of your fenders are blurry in your side mirrors, then I'd suggest that you have a problem. If not, and if you have no cracks on your fenders or brackets, then you're probably ok. If not, then you should contact Shoreland'r about the issue(s). If they don't respond in a responsible manner, then go this route:NHSTA 1-800-327-4236

If I had not experienced any problems, I would not have called. This is not about getting free tires; it's about righting a wrong. If you have problems, then they should be addressed.
Sincerely,
MrMoose
Thanks for your input. I was one of the first users to complain about the broken fenders and shaking back in april 2015. I actually stopped and had the bias-ply balanced on my way home form the dealer when i bought it. That didn't help much. After 2 different fenders broken and hanging off, missing bolts the next month i had enough and bought all new wheels and tires at a cost of $900 out of pocket. No one wanted to help. Cycle springs in Tampa didn't care as they made a sale and told me to pound sand or call call shorelander.

Finally we get some coverage and yes i agree if i get new radials from Carlisle they have a customer for life.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for your input. I was one of the first users to complain about the broken fenders and shaking back in april 2015. I actually stopped and had the bias-ply balanced on my way home form the dealer when i bought it. That didn't help much. After 2 different fenders broken and hanging off, missing bolts the next month i had enough and bought all new wheels and tires at a cost of $900 out of pocket. No one wanted to help. Cycle springs in Tampa didn't care as they made a sale and told me to pound sand or call call shorelander.

Finally we get some coverage and yes i agree if i get new radials from Carlisle they have a customer for life.
How's your trailer with the new wheels and tires?

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much did it cost to have the tires mounted and balanced? Has anyone been successful in having Carlisle reimburse them for the replacement? My dealer suggested it. I doubt it but worth asking.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much did it cost to have the tires mounted and balanced? Has anyone been successful in having Carlisle reimburse them for the replacement? My dealer suggested it. I doubt it but worth asking.
Your dealer is not stepping up-

Your dealer will bill Shorland'r for mounting and balancing the tires.

If they won't, shop elsewhere-

If like mine, yours does not have a Warrenty relationship with Shorland'r, they just need to call them and initiate it. Takes minutes-

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thanks! I actually take it to a certified Yamaha dealership here in Grand Rapids that sells everything but the larger boats. They are much closer than the dealership 1.5 hrs away and are fantastic to work with. So Shoreland'r not Carlisle should be contacted? I'll contact the marina as they already put the claim in for the replacement fender parts so a claim is already filed. Thanks for the great info! This forum and community is unbelievable. I had no idea the family of Yamaha JB'rs that was out there when I bought the boat.

Pwabbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that ultimately Yamaha is the one that needs to be held accountable as they are the one's that specified the bias ply tires.

I finally received the five replacement radials and got them mounted last Friday. Heading to Lake Powell this weekend, 450 mile round trip. I will post my results next week and will also post some photos of the upgrades I have made to the trailer and comment on how they hold up. Fingers crossed!
Made the trip to Lake Powell a couple of week ago, following are the results:

All fender bolts, washers and nuts were replaced with SS 5/16 button head cap screws, SS 5/16 fender washers, 5/16 double thick neoprene washers and SS 5/16 nyloc nuts.

TM1.jpg

I ground down a washer for each side of the large mounting bolt to fender mounting bracket. I am hoping that this will spread out some of the force and prevent the bracket from cracking. The only drawback I can see with this, is not being able to see when/if the bracket is cracking underneath the washer.

TM2.jpg

I drilled a hole in each inner fender and secured them to the trailer frame with large zip ties. My previous fenders had holes rubbed through on both sides, front and rear from the fenders contacting the tires.

TM3.jpg

I had not replaced the inner fender bracket nuts prior to the trip and the passenger side fender lost all of the nuts, bolts and washers. I replaced the interior fender bracket nuts with SS nyloc nuts and doubled them.

TM4.jpg

Fenders seemed noticeably smoother during the past trip. I will be curious to see if replacing and doubling the inner bracket nuts will help on future trips.

Good luck to all experiencing these problems!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's great that Carlisle is making you guys whole. Just a word of caution . ...it has been my experience that Carlisle radials are one of the poorest quality tires on the market. Before you trash me, I am speaking only from my own experiences of buying tons of trailer tires for my work trailers. Mostly all trailer tires are made in China now and are very poor quality. Ironically the best tires now are coming out of Vietnam of all places. We are getting almost twice the wear on the Vietnamese tires. Maybe they are made of rice....lol

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have posted my dissatisfaction with my dealership on all levels with this boat. I even had it out with the service manager about all the problems I have had with this boat and their/Yamaha's service. This is my first jet boat and I hated to take it into my dealer to be looked at again and have it winterized. This time around my dealer was on top of it. The season is long over here in Utah and a bunch of boat have been coming in for service and winterized. Guess what? Tons of people complaining about their broken trailer fenders. The service manager has called Shorelander and Carlisle after our little fight. He apologized and knows its a problem. He said he could install the same fender brackets now, but Shorelander was working on a permanent fix. He did not know if that was new brackets, new tires or both. I decided to wait and see what Shorelander comes up with. Looks like the forum members have been pushing hard enough for Shorelander and Carlisle to do something. Nice work guys.

Captbob

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is always strength in numbers!!!

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's great that Carlisle is making you guys whole. Just a word of caution . ...it has been my experience that Carlisle radials are one of the poorest quality tires on the market. Before you trash me, I am speaking only from my own experiences of buying tons of trailer tires for my work trailers. Mostly all trailer tires are made in China now and are very poor quality. Ironically the best tires now are coming out of Vietnam of all places. We are getting almost twice the wear on the Vietnamese tires. Maybe they are made of rice....lol
I've been a boat owner since 8th grade (almost 40 years ago), owned many boats of many kinds as well as several travel trailers, and no tire even approaches the pathetic quality of a Carlisle tire, period. I've had them fail in every situation possible, often stranding me, and/or destroying parts in the process.

Most recently last year I bought a used boat, and unfortunately two of the four tires on the ground, and the spare were Carlisle. Before I had a chance to change them, two weeks later one completely delaminated while driving through my neighborhood at 10 mph. The spare changed in its place delaminated WHILE SITTING STATIONARY in storage, a month later (see attached image). Lastly, the third one I pulled off for safety reasons, BLEW OUT SITTING IN MY GARAGE WITH NO WEIGHT ON IT.

A few years ago I had a Malibu Wakesetter bought new, the Extreme trailer (high end trailer) came with Carlisle. All four tires failed, catastrophically, after 3 years of light towing. (2nd attached image)

This is not out of the norm. You could not GIVE me a Carlisle tire, they are outright dangerous. ANY other tire is superior. The cheap "Hartland" brand at Discount Tire are far better.

If you have Carlisle tires, do yourself a favor, swap the damn things out before you kill yourself or others.

Attachments

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got my tires.. did anyone get wheels too?

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not...and was charged $400+ for the mounting and balancing at a certified Yamaha service center! Charged me hourly labor to do the work! I'll be taking this up with Carlisle and the service center. Had I known I would have taken to a Discount Tire or somewhere but what a total PITA. Last thing I want to do is drag my boat all over to shop for prices. I was having the winterizing done and they said they could mount them. What a disappointment and failure of Yamaha to remedy this issue. Let's hope we can get noticed and have it all made right.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a total rip off! I bought 5 new tires and had them mounted and balanced this summer for under $300. I would be standing on the dealers desk until they made it right.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a total rip off! I bought 5 new tires and had them mounted and balanced this summer for under $300. I would be standing on the dealers desk until they made it right.
@Bill D I'm starting to think this may be the way to go (not the standing on the dealer desk part, I mean, but just getting the tires done somewhere else). Especially after @Zarrella aptly commented on quality issues with Carlisle radials...

I'm really inclined to just go talk to a local tire shop and let them recommend/pick the tires THEY think are currently the best option, even if it is a brand I never heard of. It seems to work better anyway (rather than me picking what I think is the best deal).

--