• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Buying anchor and rope

Scarpp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone. I am going April 2nd to pick up my new 2022 ar250. I have spent some time looking around on this forum for a good anchor and rope. From what I’ve read on several posts, the box anchor seems like a good option. I also read I probably need about 100’ of anchor line. My question is Does anyone know what size box anchor I should use for my 25’ boat and what’s the best anchor line to get? I’m a newbie to Boating so I’m clueless on sizes of these things.
Thank you, Shad

You can use the small box anchor if it’s the original one from slide anchor. 3/8 double braided line should be fine for lake use. It’s more flexible for coiling up.

I hear great things about the box anchor and may get one myself. Small works for our boat sizes. Don't forget to buy nylon for anchor lines - it costs more than MFP but it stretches more to help with reducing shock on the line in windy conditions, and nylon sinks whereas MFP floats. Three strand is preferred over double braid.

If this is your first boat, make sure you get a checklist of safety items like PFD's, fire extinguisher, whistle, throw line, flares, etc.

Just ordered the small box anchor from Slide Anchor a couple of days ago. @212s also recently picked up an anchor buddy to deal with wind and waves.

Just ordered the small box anchor from Slide Anchor a couple of days ago. @212s also recently picked up an anchor buddy to deal with wind and waves.
Let us know how you like it.

Hey everyone. I am going April 2nd to pick up my new 2022 ar250. I have spent some time looking around on this forum for a good anchor and rope. From what I’ve read on several posts, the box anchor seems like a good option. I also read I probably need about 100’ of anchor line. My question is Does anyone know what size box anchor I should use for my 25’ boat and what’s the best anchor line to get? I’m a newbie to Boating so I’m clueless on sizes of these things.
Thank you, Shad

FWIW,

Do not skimp on the rode / rope. You also need chain, on West Marines web site it is stated the rule of thumb for chain is the length of the boat. This keeps the rode pulling parallel to the bottom provided you have enough rode let out, which will allow the anchor to dig in instead of being pulled up off the bottom by wave action.

I’m running 21’ of 5/16” stainless steel chain (the stainless will not mark up your boat like galvanized will) with a 9# slip ring fluke anchor, I also have 250’ of 3/8” yacht braid rode. I put a stainless swivel on the anchor end of the chain and a stainless clevis on the rope end of the chain that has a hole in the paddle so it can be safety wired. This set up held fast in some pretty strong winds, gusts over 50 mph at lake Powell last summer.

An anchor is not just a tool for leisure, it is a safety device.

If I were looking for a new anchor it would be a Fortress, with a ton of the chain that is coated and soft. (Looks like white chocolate covered pretezels lol)

FWIW,

Do not skimp on the rode / rope. You also need chain, on West Marines web site it is stated the rule of thumb for chain is the length of the boat. This keeps the rode pulling parallel to the bottom provided you have enough rode let out, which will allow the anchor to dig in instead of being pulled up off the bottom by wave action.

I’m running 21’ of 5/16” stainless steel chain (the stainless will not mark up your boat like galvanized will) with a 9# slip ring fluke anchor, I also have 250’ of 3/8” yacht braid rode. I put a stainless swivel on the anchor end of the chain and a stainless clevis on the rope end of the chain that has a hole in the paddle so it can be safety wired. This set up held fast in some pretty strong winds, gusts over 50 mph at lake Powell last summer.

An anchor is not just a tool for leisure, it is a safety device.
Doesn't the Slide Anchor website say that a chain is not required for use with the box Anchor? And, is that advisable?

Doesn't the Slide Anchor website say that a chain is not required for use with the box Anchor? And, is that advisable?

I don't care what it says, always use chain lol.

Users with box anchors say the same thing - chain isn't required because the flukes are much more vertical and dig in faster with half the rode length.

If I were looking for a new anchor it would be a Fortress, with a ton of the chain that is coated and soft. (Looks like white chocolate covered pretezels lol)
I have a Fortress and while it's very light and easy to manage, it doesn't work as well as my heavier steel fluke anchor in weeds as it won't sink to the bottom and dig in. I'm considering a box anchor myself and if it works as advertised, my Fortress will become a secondary anchor.

I have a Fortress and while it's very light and easy to manage, it doesn't work as well as my heavier steel fluke anchor in weeds as it won't sink to the bottom and dig in. I'm considering a box anchor myself and if it works as advertised, my Fortress will become a secondary anchor.

Interesting - first bad feedback I have heard about it. How deep of water?

I’m happy with my small (13lb) box anchor and no chain on my AR210. It holds very well using 2:1 rode, when windy we can be dragged a little at that much rode so I increase to 3-4:1 and have no issues, we have a muddy bottom lake that makes for a tight hold.

Due to the weight it’s a bit cumbersome, especially because it comes up with about 10lbs of mud on it. I used to store it folded in the anchor locker (tight fit) but now I keep it unfolded in the starboard rear compartment.
I am considering adding an easier to manage light fluke anchor in the locker to use when I don’t need much holding power.

I use the anchor buddy whenever I go out where I am going to be near the shore. It works great to keep you from putting your keel on bad things. I set it up so I am always out where the anchor buddy is stretched to the max when I am on shore. That puts is well off of any bad shore rocks,

Interesting - first bad feedback I have heard about it. How deep of water?
Typically in less than 10ft of water. The thick weeds stops it from sinking to the bottom so the flukes only grab the weeds. A wake or windy day will loosen the flukes and it drags for 5-10 feet before it hooks on to more thick weeds. It works fine with other bottoms and thin weeds in the spring where it can sink to the bottom. But by mid-summer the weeds are too thick and I think the box design will hold better in thick weeds.

Another thing chain does is to keep your rode from getting wear from rubbing on the bottom. While I was looking around for articles to post in this thread I came across several that suggested using A LOT OF CHAIN when anchoring, like 60’ Which would not be feasible for boats like ours.

I have tow anchors on my boat, I have the 9# one I mentioned before, and I have a 5# one with like 4’ of chain that was my original that I used for the shore anchor. Having said that most of the time I would still use the 5# one in light conditions. I carry the heavier one for bigger water and wind, but it is mainly there for safety when not being used.

I’m happy with my small (13lb) box anchor and no chain on my AR210. It holds very well using 2:1 rode, when windy we can be dragged a little at that much rode so I increase to 3-4:1 and have no issues, we have a muddy bottom lake that makes for a tight hold.

Due to the weight it’s a bit cumbersome, especially because it comes up with about 10lbs of mud on it. I used to store it folded in the anchor locker (tight fit) but now I keep it unfolded in the starboard rear compartment.
I am considering adding an easier to manage light fluke anchor in the locker to use when I don’t need much holding power.
I use a mantus anchor when I’m shallow and the box in deeper water.

Great information everyone. Thank you!

Just reading through this thread because our Fortress FX-7 on our AR250 would not hold today in sand. We were in ~12ft of water and put out 12ft of chain plus nearly all of our 50ft anchor line to test it. It would set, then with 30-50 lbs of force to test it would immediately break free.

We've used this anchor half a dozen times on lakes and rivers this year and it's been rock solid. I'm absolutely baffled by this. I even went down, folded the flukes out, and completely burried it, with the same result.

Does a box anchor work better in sand?

Back