• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

California is Drying Up

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Had to cancel 5-day camping trip because the water is so low. These are pictures of East Park Reservoir in CA where you can camp next to the water. The water is too shallow to launch, and they do not mark hazards here. Have another trip in June planned at Don Pedro Reservoir where the launch ramp is about 1/4 mile long and steep. Scary launching conditions to say the least. No way I can launch with the camper so we bring our 4x4 SUV along as well. Bought my boat last year and only have 18 hours on it. Bad timing, and gas is close to $7 a gallon here. Wife doesn't want to sell the boat but I am seriously considering it. I also posted some pictures of my setup at Don Pedro 2 weeks ago. I never launched because I fell off the bow and broke a toe and severely sprained my ankle. Still having difficulty walking. Hopefully I'll be ready in June. Still looking for a bow ladder. Contacted easy step, but they said I don't have enough room on my trailer. Looks like I'll have to get a Quality Mark.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don't you boat in the Bay and the Ocean?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Why don't you boat in the Bay and the Ocean?
I live on the Sacramento River in the Delta region of No. Cal. There is too much plantation in the water for a jet boat IMO. I have no interest in running salt water through my engines because there is not an adequate place to flush them afterwards. CA has the best lakes for watersports and houseboating, the waters are mostly calm. You can find your own channel, cove, and other places to hideout. It's been several years since the lakes have been full. I'm very disappointed. Next year!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No adequate place to flush?

No faucet somewhere? That seems like a solvable problem. Any chance of exploring that avenue further? Even if you flush in a day or two after, that's way better than not using the boat. Humble thought, best of luck however you proceed.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My opinion is that if you have a newer boat and are not using it, why keep it? Take the boat money and spend it on something you can enjoy. If things change and you can start boating again regularly, then buy another boat.

Still a great time to sell a boat, may not be so good after this season?

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I lived near the ocean, I would boat in it all the time.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That’s because you’re a fisherman bro. I know your kids won’t be out there surfing

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Allow me to explain. Although we live in the at bay area the conditions here are Like those in Florida or southern ca. in the attached screenshot I live between fremont and Hayward and @RobbieO lives east of the 780 and 680 freeways. Most of the western water / they bay itself is what is considered at bay and there are very few beaches or even launch ramps. Lots of people sail in the bay or fish in the bay but you won’t find any or many recreational boats like ours in it. Just to cold and rough for tubing, boarding etc. instead many of us boat on the rivers leading to the bay starting with those East of the 780 and 680 freeways. There are thousands of miles waterways north and east of there that lead to and past Sacramento 60 miles or so up river and all the way to lake Shasta several hundred mile north.

I’ve launched out of Berkeley and docked in Oakland and sr but only for sight seeing / day trip / lunch purposes or to anchor at McCovey cove near sf giants stadium (AT&T park) never to tube or board, we don’t even get in the water when we boat in the bay. It’s ironic because south of the last bridge in the pics it is often smooth water but I rarely if ever see any boats there at all. I boated that direction once but turned around soon after I crossed the threshold of the bridge, just started to wonder why nobody and I mean nobody else was boating there. Like what does everyone else know that I don’t know? Again there is also no place to beach.

Boating on the Pacific Ocean is a totally different thing. Lots of fishing boats but no small recreational boats like ours at least not in my experience. I rarely saw such boats on or near the beaches when I lived in Scal.
8D8233BA-1655-448F-940A-EDE0B2BDC94A.png

mistercool88

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you are launching at pedro and don’t feel comfortable launching at blue oaks go to Fleming meadows or mocassain point. Don pedro has three public launches. Also the water may be lower but there are plenty of coves to have a great time.
As far as delta boating the best place to launch would be discovery bay. There are a lot of Channels with tons of ski boats.

jimbobalu

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always enjoyed the Delta and Sacramento river on my PWC. Not sure if there are camping areas though. I would ride from Sacramento all the way to the Bay.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even with the 24' boat, you need to pick your ocean days carefully or you're just not gonna have a great time.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
And literally quadrillions of water right off the coast… all that’s needed is to remove the salt.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
If you are launching at pedro and don’t feel comfortable launching at blue oaks go to Fleming meadows or mocassain point. Don pedro has three public launches. Also the water may be lower but there are plenty of coves to have a great time.
As far as delta boating the best place to launch would be discovery bay. There are a lot of Channels with tons of ski boats.
That's where I camp, Fleming Meadows. They have full hookups. I was there a few weeks ago and the ramp is steep. It was worst last Sept when we were there. Agreed, Pedro has the best coves, especially when full. Boats seem to disappear even when the parking lot is full. In my younger days, my buddies and I camped at Blue Oaks. It was called "Mexican Gulch" back then. Last year when I was there Mocassain Point was closed. The ramp was up on a hill. Bizarre.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live on the Sacramento River in the Delta region of No. Cal. There is too much plantation in the water for a jet boat IMO. I have no interest in running salt water through my engines because there is not an adequate place to flush them afterwards. CA has the best lakes for watersports and houseboating, the waters are mostly calm. You can find your own channel, cove, and other places to hideout. It's been several years since the lakes have been full. I'm very disappointed. Next year!
Come out on the Delta. It's in your back yard so to speak. When Ca. lakes are low there always the Delta

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Come out on the Delta. It's in your back yard so to speak. When Ca. lakes are low there always the Delta
I have concerns about all the vegetation in the water, especially when the tide is out. I don't want to spend all day cleaning out my pumps. They closed Brannan Island, so need to figure out another place to launch. Maybe B&W. Where do you launch?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They closed brannan island? When? You can Launch out of orwood in Byron, the newer antioch boat ramp or vierras. Orwood if you want to boat or hang near disco bay and skiers beach, antioch if you want to tube and it’s not very windy, vierra’s if you want to tour the Sacramento River sloughs. The vegetation isn’t bad in the center but is sometimes dense near the edges of sloughs. I don’t think I had to clear weeds from my pumps over the previous two seasons.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
They closed brannan island? When? You can Launch out of orwood in Byron, the newer antioch boat ramp or vierras. Orwood if you want to boat or hang near disco bay and skiers beach, antioch if you want to tube and it’s not very windy, vierra’s if you want to tour the Sacramento River sloughs. The vegetation isn’t bad in the center but is sometimes dense near the edges of sloughs. I don’t think I had to clear weeds from my pumps over the previous two seasons.
Thanks Ronnie. Brannan Island is closed because the last proprietor pulled out. It's independently operated. Both sides are closed.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I launch out of Orwood ( Its actually in Brentwood) . Breakfast/ brunch is good there ( steak and lobster dinner $34 Thursday - Saturday) There's Discovery Bay Ski Beach, Boardwalk bar and grill in Discovery Bay, Union Point (when it's open), great sloughs for water sports, keep going towards the San Joaquin River there's Tiki Lagoon ( taco Tuesdays!) Windmill Cove, Garlic Brothers, Bob's, Nena's, and Stockton Ski beach. I haven't gotten anything in my jets for years and we do a lot of night boating. (There's live music at most of these places)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought the boat ramp at brannan was run by the state. The restaraunt there closed a few years ago. They use to love getting on their PA system to scold boaters creating wakes as they passed by. Too bad about brannan, they have plenty of ramps that are/were well maintained. A nearby alternative to orwood is discovery bay marina, $5 more than orwood but they have dock hands to manage the launch and recovery traffic as well as a golf cart to take patrons back and forth between the ramp and the trailer parking.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I launch out of Orwood ( Its actually in Brentwood) . Breakfast/ brunch is good there ( steak and lobster dinner $34 Thursday - Saturday) There's Discovery Bay Ski Beach, Boardwalk bar and grill in Discovery Bay, Union Point (when it's open), great sloughs for water sports, keep going towards the San Joaquin River there's Tiki Lagoon ( taco Tuesdays!) Windmill Cove, Garlic Brothers, Bob's, Nena's, and Stockton Ski beach. I haven't gotten anything in my jets for years and we do a lot of night boating. (There's live music at most of these places)
There you go @RobbieO!