• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Can't seem to find an anchor

krypto69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looking for the OEM part/part number for the anchor kit for a 2023 Yamaha AR220.

I can find it for the 2022 AR's and all the other older models...but cant seem to find a way to order it for the 2023.

I see there are a few anchors that may work but I want OEM so it will fit inside the locker perfectly.

Anybody know where to find? I have few sites that show all the parts but no anchor.

The one that comes with the boat is absolute junk. Just a crappy danforth anchor. You can have mine if you like. Why didn't you get one from the dealer? The one they supply is garbage. Get yourself a Mantus, Fortress, or good box anchor. Also you need to figure out what you plan on anchoring in. I keep 4 anchors and they are specific. I usually keep two on the boat. One bow and one for the stern as well as a shore spike. In any chop in sand, the Danforth wouldn't hold for me. Don't get hung up on storing it the anchor locker, get the anchor that you need to hold the boat and for safety. Two is always better as well for the time you need it.
As an aside, i dont keep my anchors in the front anchor locker. I keep all of my tow ropes, fenders, etc. Anything that is going to be wet. I keep my anchor attached to 100' spool under front starboard seat in a mesh bag. Doesn't slop around there. Others use different strategies.

Missing from the boat when I bought it - used.

I'm in S Florida so most of the time would be sandy intercoastal? Sounds like I need to research what type if anchor would work best. Also sounds like I'll need 100' of rope? So much to learn.

Looking into the fortress and the Mantus:

https://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Guardian-G-11-6lb-Anchor/dp/B00JGX3JLY/ref=asc_df_B00JGX3JLY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312035432333&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15819541232599054826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052784&hvtargid=pla-571142577737&psc=1

Think I understand how to set the anchor but a little clueless on how I pull it up. Gotta find some time to watch youttube - anchoring videos. And what is the four foot chain for?

Great tips, thank you. Makes sense. Much appreciated.

Box anchor is my favorite for all of the midwest lakes I frequent. Sand bottom, mud bottom, algae. The only thing I haven't encountered is rocky bottom. I keep the box anchor folded under a bow seat and I keep a danforth in the bow anchor locker for a backup.

I primarily anchor in sand and this is very similar to what I use.

Marine Raider 8 lb Medium Galvanized Slip-Ring Anchor 25 ft - 28 ft
Marine Raider 8 lb Medium Galvanized Slip-Ring Anchor 25 ft - 28 ft | Academy
Some don’t like them but it works for me. The biggest thing is to have a long enough and heavy enough lead chain and let enough rode out. If it doesn’t hold, let more out. Been using it for a couple years now trouble free.

Missing from the boat when I bought it - used.

I'm in S Florida so most of the time would be sandy intercoastal? Sounds like I need to research what type if anchor would work best. Also sounds like I'll need 100' of rope? So much to learn.

Looking into the fortress and the Mantus:

https://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Guardian-G-11-6lb-Anchor/dp/B00JGX3JLY/ref=asc_df_B00JGX3JLY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312035432333&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15819541232599054826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052784&hvtargid=pla-571142577737&psc=1

Think I understand how to set the anchor but a little clueless on how I pull it up. Gotta find some time to watch youttube - anchoring videos. And what is the four foot chain for?

Great tips, thank you. Makes sense. Much appreciated.

Theres a ton of posts here on this site about anchors and anchoring, and as with many subjects there are a lot of different opinions and successes talked about herein.

You asked about the chain, the chain does two things, on a Danforth / Fluke type of anchor, and I suppose other types as well, the chain keeps the shank

91964D6C-2FD9-488F-A9DC-8313F8ADFD29.jpeg

Parallel with the bottom so the flukes will not only dig in, the chains’ weight also keeps the shank parallel with the bottom when the anchor is under load holding your boat so it will not pull up and cause the anchor to pull free of the bottom. Another thing the chain does is to keep your rode (anchor rope) from rubbing on the bottom.

How much chain do you need? This is another area of debate, there are however some rules of thumb, myself I went with one foot of chain for every one foot of boat, so I have 21’ of 5/16” stainless steel chain. One thing for certain, get stainless chain. If you go to say West Marine‘s web site there are tables that show what size anchor you need for a given boat size, as well as the length and size of chain.

How much and size of rode do you meed? Again there are charts for this, I have 250’ of 3/8” yacht braid. But the most important part of keeping an anchor from slipping is the scope or the amount of rode you have out. If it’s calm a 3:1 ratio will probably work, so three feet of rode out for every foot of water depth. If there is wind, current, waves or a combination thereof the ratio goes to 7:1 to keep it from slipping.

Anchor attachments to the rode. Most folks use a clevis, mine is 3/8” and is stainless steel, any clevis worth a hoot will have a small hole in it so you can safety wire the pin after you have tightened it to keep the pin from falling out. On my anchor I also installed a swivel, the swivel is attached to the shank of the anchor, the chain is attached to the swivel and the clevis attaches the chain to the rode.

Keep in mind that ground tackle, which is the whole of your anchor set up, is not just a convenience tool, as @HangOutdoors stated it is a safety item, and could mean the difference between staying put until assistance arrives or ending up on the rocks.

I keep all of my ground tackle, 9# fluke anchor with a slip ring, 21’ of stainless steel chain and 250’ (really wish I would have got 300’) of rode in my anchor locker and I still have room for two fenders, two drift / drogue anchors and all of my dock lines. I do have a stern anchor, a 5# fluke with slip ring, 6’ of 3/16” chain and 100’ of rode, I keep it in a gunny sack and when I take it with me it lives in one of my stern storage compartments. I really need a second one to do a proper Med tie, which is where you anchor the bow facing away from shore and a stern anchor off each rear corner at a 45° angle.

This is the style fluke anchor I have. This design allows you to free it in the event it gets stuck either in the mud / sand or under a rock or tree. You simply get on the upwind side of how you set it originally and pull on it, the ring slides up the shank and now you’re pulling it straight back. I had to trim the stack length a little bit with a hack saw to get it to fit in the anchor holder, easey peasey.

CBA57D3B-A85F-41D1-A4C7-D8D8EF7AB86E.jpeg

My Dad used a fluke anchor with great success when I was a kid and we were on Sandy / mud bottom lakes in some very windy and wavy conditions, and just as @Babin Farms said, if the anchor isn’t holding let out more rode..that’s why it’s important to have a lot more rode than you think you think you might need.

So the chain is to add weight? So I put it on the end closest to anchor?

Yes, you attach the chain to the anchor, and the chain attaches to the rode.

Setting the anchor;

Do not throw your anchor overboard so it ends up in a pile on the bottom, this is not a RX for success. Once you figure out where to drop your anchor, back up slowly with the wind and pay out your ground tackle slowly enough so that it lays out in a line on the bottom. Once you have paid out enough rode for the depth and conditions, and you’re still backing up, hold onto the rode and pull on it until you feel the anchor bite into the bottom, give a couple of sharp pulls to see if it holds. Once it’s held tie off the rode to the bow cleat, then “back down” on the anchor by using more reverse thrust, this should pull the bow down as the rode comes under load, if it holds when you do this you are done, the anchor is firmly set.

When I added a longer heavier chain it helped the anchor hold a lot better

979B40D8-2443-4F03-9DBE-93299FC6AD42.jpeg

Went from 3’ of 5/16” to 7’ of 3/8” chain

damn that's allot of chain.

Haven't purchased anything yet - thankfully.

In my opinion that’s not enough chain… one foot of chain per one foot of boat length.

So I need 22 feet of chain!? wow

Id get 20’ of chain… I’ve rarely used my anchor, when I was at Lake Powell a couple of years ago there was a big wind storm overnight on one night and with the set up I have it never moved.

“Luck favors those that are prepared”

I would say it depends on how heavy the chain is. I’ve got 7ft of 3/8” chain and it holds my 23ft boat in heavy current with no issues. The chain that comes with the anchor kits is way too small and short IMO.

Interesting perspectives here. In my situation anchoring on muddy river bottom in coves generally <35 foot deep of water, the Yamaha-branded "deluxe" Danforth kit has been working just fine. I can't imagine hauling up 21' of chain every time. Every once in a while I'll have to re-toss it for a good bite, but normally if I am re-tossing it is for boat position not an issue with anchor holding. It's nice that the anchor crossbar fits the anchor locker securely, and the setup keeps any mud and water drips confined (mostly) to the locker. Probably a lot depends on what water you boat, and where you choose to try and anchor. I can see needing something beefier for larger water situations.

I can see needing something beefier for larger water situations.
Not really. I had the same setup as I’m using now when we went to Bimini and had no issues anchoring. Use it now in Mobile, Perdido, Pensacola bays, ICW and the gulf with plenty of holding power.

This is the anchor my 210 FSH came with from the dealer Amazon.com. I just use the 6' chain. Im in Miami and usually boat in the Keys. I have never had he anchor not hold tight, even when I got hit with 30 mph winds form January storm. just make sure you put our enough rope for the proper scope

Interesting perspectives here. In my situation anchoring on muddy river bottom in coves generally <35 foot deep of water, the Yamaha-branded "deluxe" Danforth kit has been working just fine. I can't imagine hauling up 21' of chain every time. Every once in a while I'll have to re-toss it for a good bite, but normally if I am re-tossing it is for boat position not an issue with anchor holding. It's nice that the anchor crossbar fits the anchor locker securely, and the setup keeps any mud and water drips confined (mostly) to the locker. Probably a lot depends on what water you boat, and where you choose to try and anchor. I can see needing something beefier for larger water situations.

One thing really nice about having a raw water wash down on your boat is that you can wash all the mud and crapOla off of your anchor when you are bringing it up… IMHO, all boats should have a raw water wash down to clean things up. They are super simple to install.. but, luckily my boat came with one! ? Most of the time right before I make my lap O the lake at the end of the day, I break out my deck brush and wash the whole inside of the boat down and all the water and debris goes out the self bailing decks all our boats have, then I do a lap of the lake and it gets blown dry.

Measured up the Yamaha accessory anchor and locker on todays outing. The locker slot on my 2021 is 18 3/4”. The anchor crossbar on the danforth from 2021 is 18 1/4”. A crossbar of 17 3/4” or narrower would fall through. I kind of doubt they changed the locker spec for 2023 but it is a new hull with the 22’ length. Measure yours OP and you will know if a 2021 anchor would fit.

Back