• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charleston Cooper River Run up to Pinopolis Lock May 20th 2017

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
O HELL YEAH...still shaking off a week of vacation re-tox and catching up on this thread......but I'm thinking the @robert843 myrtle beach run is the way to go here !! less towing more bowting ! I'll have to find my boat first...I thinks its under a pile of summer crap in the garage......

@waterboay, we'll beer it up this week and talk. Alec would be itching to pursue us in the waverunner !!

@DieselCamel moving to Florida !?!?!?!?! I haven't finished smoking your cigars yet !!!

I like your thinking here @justason . With that said, I have a feeling you might be pursuing your son on the waverunner vs. him pursuing you ;). You may have been on that section of the ICW already but if not it's glass and just a ton of fun to run on. I had a a great time riding it back in September with @robert843 and would highly recommend it if you want to extend the boating that Saturday by 2 to 3 hours.

It would be nice to have several launch from Myrtle and then meet the remaining participates in Charleston to ride up the Cooper and back. Have a little Saturday evening fun in Charleston, boat a little more Sunday morning, and then head back to Myrtle.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like your thinking here @justason . With that said, I have a feeling you might be pursuing your son on the waverunner vs. him pursuing you ;). You may have been on that section of the ICW already but if not it's glass and just a ton of fun to run on. I had a a great time riding it back in September with @robert843 and would highly recommend it if you want to extend the boating that Saturday by 2 to 3 hours.

It would be nice to have several launch from Myrtle and then meet the remaining participates in Charleston to ride up the Cooper and back. Have a little Saturday evening fun in Charleston, boat a little more Sunday morning, and then head back to Myrtle.

@Ramblin Wreck Sounds excellent....maybe i missed the post, It sounded like the Mrytle beach run was a day round trip ??
  • Friday party at your local spot(s)
  • 7am to 7:30ish Saturday depart from Myrtle
  • 10am depart from Charleston with full group participants
  • 2ish depart Lake Moultrie after light lunch and time hanging with fellow boaters to head back to Charleston
  • 5:30ish depart Charleston after early dinner at Isles of Palms Marina
  • 7:30ish arrive back in Myrtle Beach
I'm wide open to anything, A night in Charleston does sound excellent !!! back of my mind is the possibility of a dog if we cant deploy her someplace....She's very excited in a boat, bringing her is a low probability....just logistic-izing..

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck Sounds excellent....maybe i missed the post, It sounded like the Mrytle beach run was a day round trip ??
  • Friday party at your local spot(s)
  • 7am to 7:30ish Saturday depart from Myrtle
  • 10am depart from Charleston with full group participants
  • 2ish depart Lake Moultrie after light lunch and time hanging with fellow boaters to head back to Charleston
  • 5:30ish depart Charleston after early dinner at Isles of Palms Marina
  • 7:30ish arrive back in Myrtle Beach
I'm wide open to anything, A night in Charleston does sound excellent !!! back of my mind is the possibility of a dog if we cant deploy her someplace....She's very excited in a boat, bringing her is a low probability....just logistic-izing..
I originally posted that since @robert843 lives in Myrtle and I didn't know what the plans were for staying in Charleston like the group did last year. I was really just trying to gauge his interest and whoever else could logistically make Myrtle work. It could certainly be one long day on the water, but if you were willing/able to extend the boating weekend staying Saturday night in Charleston would be a preferred option IMO. That would allow opportunity to hang with fellow boaters, spend more time boating Sunday morning, and then enjoy the nice ride back to Myrtle later that day as opposed to trying to fit it in all in one day. To be honest, for those traveling a good distance I would encourage making it a full 3/4 day trip so you could spend a full 2+ days on the water or in the city itself (ie. take Friday and Monday off) if possible. For me personally, I'm like you wide open for anything. I'm just ready to get on the water and burn a lot of fuel but would prefer to start and end in Myrtle to add around 180 miles to the trip. For me coming from Atlanta, this is what I would like to do:

-Friday leave Atlanta and arrive in Myrtle
-Saturday morning depart from Myrtle, meet the rest of the group in Charleston and then run the Cooper River back and forth, spend the evening in Charleston
-Sunday boat around the bay and into the open water, ride the ICW back to Myrtle
-Depending on what time we make it back to Myrtle either grab a hotel that night or drive back to Atlanta.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something like that sounds awesome to me. I like using Myrtle as the start/stop location. I would have to think this over but on the surface, I would likely want to be back home Sunday night, which means getting back to Myrtle a bit earlier too. Maybe not as much playing around Sunday , but heck, we could break into separate groups too...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Based on the last two trips.....I went and checked the weather forecast for the May 20 target;);)
upload_2017-1-24_13-30-29.png

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@justason I don't recall any winter mix days in May but I have been wrong before lol! Damn you guys are going to make me launch from Myrtle aren't you.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Something like that sounds awesome to me. I like using Myrtle as the start/stop location. I would have to think this over but on the surface, I would likely want to be back home Sunday night, which means getting back to Myrtle a bit earlier too. Maybe not as much playing around Sunday , but heck, we could break into separate groups too...
Yep, I agree. How far is your drive to Myrtle? Just curious...

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck are Brittney & Josie gonna ride with you?
Good question. If @robert843 takes his boat I'm going to see if I can throw some gas money his way. If his boat is full, they would be fine having a couple days on the beach in Myrtle or I could ride them down and drop them off in Charleston for the day prior to the Cooper run. They nor I would enjoy riding 3up the entire day. If they're able to join @robert843, I think I would like for them to ride on the ski back to Myrtle. I think they both would enjoy a 2+ hour ride up the ICW. They're not too picky and would be happy however things work out.

By the way, I reached out to the sales guy that I purchased my ski from (Cycle Springs in Clearwater). For the 2017 white FX HO Cruiser you want they can do the following:

$13200 (no tax or registration). I never paid taxes when I registered mine in GA and the dealer didn't collect any because I was a GA resident
2 year warranty with 3 additional for $420
Trailer is not included in the price above. If you need one it would be galvanized $750 for single or $1400 for double and aluminum $900 for single and $1400 for the double.

Also he said they recently purchased a few 2013 new FX SHOs that come with a 3 year warranty. Not sure if you're interested in a older year model but I would imagine they're cheaper. I didn't get the price on them as I didn't think you wanted a supercharger ski.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I'm scrambling the best I can right now is reason I was asking. I day I may could get a "hall pass" on, but almost sure she wouldn't be ok with me leaving them for an all weekend getaway. I'm trying to see what alternatives I can come up with to try & justify it but when I'm only home 1 or 2 days a week, it makes it tough.

Thanks for asking about the ski for me. They seem to be in line with pricing for what Charleston have me. Looking like most around me are catching on to the tax situation tho. I managed to skip it on last 2 boats. Lol. To my defense, I actually did try with the 240 due to nor wanting a surprise bill, but no one knew so I didn't push the subject.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I'm scrambling the best I can right now is reason I was asking. I day I may could get a "hall pass" on, but almost sure she wouldn't be ok with me leaving them for an all weekend getaway. I'm trying to see what alternatives I can come up with to try & justify it but when I'm only home 1 or 2 days a week, it makes it tough.

Thanks for asking about the ski for me. They seem to be in line with pricing for what Charleston have me. Looking like most around me are catching on to the tax situation tho. I managed to skip it on last 2 boats. Lol. To my defense, I actually did try with the 240 due to nor wanting a surprise bill, but no one knew so I didn't push the subject.
Well if you get a ski and trailer into Charleston and decide to run the Cooper 3up, but your girlfriend gets uncomfortable during the day I'll let her ride with me :env:.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well if you get a ski and trailer into Charleston and decide to run the Cooper 3up, but your girlfriend gets uncomfortable during the day I'll let her ride with me :env:.
Haha! I'd gladly hand her off at times, but I'm sure as soon as LBB started aggravating you, you'd gladly give them back! Lol

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@justason I don't recall any winter mix days in May but I have been wrong before lol! Damn you guys are going to make me launch from Myrtle aren't you.
U guys keep talking about staying in Charleston my wife is gonna make me burn some vacation time! I would like think about trailering to mb and go from there but here is the questions my wife asks me. We have three kids ... how many bathroom facilities will we pass on a long day on the water? I think last year there was one on the west side of the lock at some.kinda camp groud. And if launching from mb where will we put the boats in Charleston and where is everyone staying? Would u use the same marina as last year? We liked the holiday Inn express last year even though it was a little expensive.. as soon as I tell my wife how the trip may be evolving she may start getting excited..

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
U guys keep talking about staying in Charleston my wife is gonna make me burn some vacation time! I would like think about trailering to mb and go from there but here is the questions my wife asks me. We have three kids ... how many bathroom facilities will we pass on a long day on the water? I think last year there was one on the west side of the lock at some.kinda camp groud. And if launching from mb where will we put the boats in Charleston and where is everyone staying? Would u use the same marina as last year? We liked the holiday Inn express last year even though it was a little expensive.. as soon as I tell my wife how the trip may be evolving she may start getting excited..
with a trip this long I have to think bathroom stops at the fuel stops is key....if not I carry a toilet seat that snaps onto a drywall bucket for hauls like this......haven't used it yet but its onboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Portable-Toilet-5-gallon-Bucket/dp/B0000B13MT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485297331&sr=8-1&keywords=toilet+seat,+bucket

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@bronze_10 you could take a bathroom break prior to departing MB. We could then stop at Isle of Palm marina just before the bay in Charleston. You have bathrooms on both side of the locks like you mentioned. They would need to hold for say 2 hr or so between stops unless you want to use @justason bucket haha. The marina we stayed at last year is the only one I could find in Charleston that would allow a ski (well didn't ask them specifically last year and don't want to again this year) so I personally would have no choice. I have no clue around hotels. They are all expensive in Charleston. I was able to secure the Marriott next to the Holiday Inn last year for about 9 boaters but it was still around $170 all in if I recall correctly. They wanted nearly double prior to my work discount. I can get a decent place 6 miles or $14 Uber ride from the Marina for $99 right now but all others are pricey. @robert843 and @Andy S will have some recommendations.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I just talked to my wife about it cause I know she would see this eventually.. if the trip starts at Myrtle then we are in at this point... we will probably be taking my mom who is 80 years old... and has only been on our boat in lakes... she doesn't do hot temps well so there is a chance we will run with those out of Myrtle to Charleston and then depending on the temp we may have to break off and go to the hotel instead of up the river and then join the Myrtle guys for the trip back on sunday. That time of year it's normaly not that hot so it is likely we will be able to do the river portion too...

Of those staying over night in charleston are u planning on using city marina again? I think my wife would like to stay at the holiday Inn express again... we splurge on these few trips we get to do..

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2016 SX190; so 30 gallons of gas in the tank. I plan to add a 10 gallon reserve. I assume this means I would have no issues with any one segment; even including Myrtle as a starting point. Is this a safe assumption? I want to get in as much time as possible getting to know all you guys AND add as many hours as possible to the boat this season. We did the Falls Lake day raft-up and really want to do more.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bronze_10 The Marina I would recommend launching from in myrtle is Waccawache and it has bathrooms. There are Facilities in Mclelanville if needed which is a little over half way to Charleston and then again in Isle of Palms. you will likely need to refuel in Isle of Palms any ways so that will probably be a scheduled stop for those who launch from Myrtle. I have booked @Andy S and I at the Courtyard in Mt Pleasant its under a discounted rate for $154 a night I can probably get a few extra rooms there on that discount but that is just a tentative plan at this point as I can cancel it up until 5/18.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 SX190; so 30 gallons of gas in the tank. I plan to add a 10 gallon reserve. I assume this means I would have no issues with any one segment; even including Myrtle as a starting point. Is this a safe assumption? I want to get in as much time as possible getting to know all you guys AND add as many hours as possible to the boat this season. We did the Falls Lake day raft-up and really want to do more.
There are place you could stop to Fuel along the way from Myrtle if needed. Its probably around 70 miles from Waccawache Marina to Isle of palms to give you an idea.