• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check your caliper for free movement

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just made this same post in my surge brake actuator thread here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-out-the-surge-brake-actuator.41582/

Just wanted to shoot up a flare to the group about doing a simple check that could save you a lot of grief. Take a pry bar and gently move the calipers to make sure they are not hung up in the rails. As with most things mechanical the biggest problems come from lack of use, and brake calipers move very little if any in their rails during normal use.

So in addition to check the fluid in the master reservoir, and using a screw driver to manually actuated the brakes to make sure they build pressure with no sponginess aka work when applied, you should check to make sure the calipers slide freely in their rails.

By using a pry bar such as this…

4BD00F43-9517-4A87-A2F9-2389DAB5615C.jpeg

you can gently apply the amount of force necessary to get the calipers to move in their rails. Once you have collapsed the piston and have some play, move the caliper back and forth several times to make sure it will move freely. After you are done with one caliper go to the tongue and pump the brakes up manually using the manual actuation port.

04FA08DB-9734-4646-8DE7-81CED58ADED1.jpeg

Pump this lever until you feel the it come up solid with good pressure, this will move the fluid you just pushed up into the reservoir when you collapsed the caliper piston. If you don’t you will push fluid out of the reservoir making a mess and then there very well could not be enough fluid in there when the brakes get pumped back up. Repeat the same steps on the other caliper and you can be assured that your calipers will not be hung up causing a real issue when towing on the highway.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A picture of the pry bar showing were to pry and what direction would be helpful. My brake pad broke while doing this a few years ago but it was most likely that the pad backer plate was rusted very bad. But I do remember finding a good place to pry from and it wasn't by the pad just cant remember where.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here you go! Be very gentle when doing this and apply pressure on different places to get things moving.

Did I mention to be very gentle when doing this? Nice and easy, take your time so you don’t wedge it off center.

These movements apply pressure to the piston to collapse it. I was able to get the passenger side moving with these first two pics.
IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

The drivers side required a bit more pressure and I had to use the bar this way. I just kept moving it around and applying increasing amounts of pressure unit it finally started to move, the just kept moving it back and forth until I got the max throw.
IMG_3786.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

This pulls it back be very careful of the little rubber piston boot.
IMG_3785.jpeg

Last edited:

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I am installing new calipers and have a question about the above pictures. Is the line going into the green dot the fluid coming from the actuator or the fluid going to the other brake?

I recieved two left brake calipers and had to take the little gold square with two inlet/outlet connections off the old caliper and forgot to note which connection goes to the actuator and which line goes to the downstream brake caliper.

Thanks.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pretty sure that is the line coming from the actuator. I’ll double check when I get home

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The horizontal input goes to the left brake caliper (green dot) , the vertical goes to the actuator. that is how it is routed on my 210 fsh shorelander dual axle trailer. Although, if you were to mix it up i doubt it would matter, it is a distrubution block that flows bi-directional either way.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The horizontal input goes to the left brake caliper (green dot) , the vertical goes to the actuator. that is how it is routed on my 210 fsh shorelander dual axle trailer. Although, if you were to mix it up i doubt it would matter, it is a distrubution block that flows bi-directional either way.

Good to know and thank you, that helps. :)