• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out tube question

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When re-installing the cleanout tray, is there any caulk or seal between the cleanout tube and the tray flange? I remember there was some gunk on it, more like a sticky grease only going around half. It didn’t seem like a seal, but it doesn’t feel right that only a worm hose clamp is sealing it and holding it on.

Thanks

No sealant. It is just the hose clamp. There is no pressure in there where the hose meets the clean out tray. I would clean the clean out tray flange and the tube and then slip the top over the flange and tighten clamp.

It comes from the factory with sealant. The left tube in this photo had sealant on it as well, it just all came off when I pulled the tray out. I cleaned and resealed everything due to water going into the bilge instead of the overboard drain. I put cheaper silicone sealant on the rubber tubes, and marine 4200 on the fiberglass.IMG_7999.jpeg

My 2012 doesn’t have the sealant on the tubes. Just the hose clamp. What year is your boat @ImHowl ? I wonder if they started doing this to later year models to make them more secure.

2020. The sealant that was on it did not look watertight at all. More of a "sticky" keep it from moving sealant. Which is why I used silicone.

That’s good to know if someone is trying to remove the tray and they can’t figure out why it won’t budge.

I wouldn't of used 4200 on that hatch

It comes from the factory with sealant. The left tube in this photo had sealant on it as well, it just all came off when I pulled the tray out. I cleaned and resealed everything due to water going into the bilge instead of the overboard drain. I put cheaper silicone sealant on the rubber tubes, and marine 4200 on the fiberglass.View attachment 199237
Exactly where did you put the 4200??

When re-installing the cleanout tray, is there any caulk or seal between the cleanout tube and the tray flange? I remember there was some gunk on it, more like a sticky grease only going around half. It didn’t seem like a seal, but it doesn’t feel right that only a worm hose clamp is sealing it and holding it on.

Thanks

I use silicone grease on the tubes where it meets the clean out tray. I also try and make sure the hose clamps are up as high as possible, almost touching the underside of the clean out tray.

Once you have the clean out tray re installed, put a bead of silicone or caulk in the 90* corner where the tray meets the deck. I mask off the area with blue painters tape to make for a better finished product. Do not put sealant down under the clean out tray!!!! You will essentially be gluing the clean out tray down to the boat.

If you did put it around the clean out hatch or on the tube, I would pull the hatch off asap and clean it off. Only use a bathroom grade silicone sealant around the hatch. Otherwise it is never going to come off without a fight

Also on the tube do not use sealant or adhesive. Maybe a bit of sealant grease, but you don't need anything there it will not leak.

Last edited:
I 4200'd the yellow part. I was having issues with the clean out ports pushing water up into the bilge area, and draining into the bilge cause of the crappy seal.
I put a bead of 4200 down, then set the tray down on top of it. I also installed the jet boat pilot riser. Not a drop has leaked since.tempImageJOIrnD.png

If you did put it around the clean out hatch or on the tube, I would pull the hatch off asap and clean it off. Only use a bathroom grade silicone sealant around the hatch. Otherwise it is never going to come off without a fight.

So instead of running a bead of silicon around the opening and then putting the tray on, you are saying it is better to re-install the tray and run the bead of silicon on top of the gap? I was going to use Starbrite Marine silicon not 4200 or a real adhesive. My caulking skills leave something to be desired for fit and finish...

Yes do not do 4200, pull it up, clean it out caulk around it after you set it down, run your damp finger around it to smooth it out. I use a 20yr bathroom caulk silicone white. Works like charm. Water was not leaking in in the tube it was washing over the top cover where you are going to silicone it.

I 4200'd the yellow part. I was having issues with the clean out ports pushing water up into the bilge area, and draining into the bilge cause of the crappy seal.
I put a bead of 4200 down, then set the tray down on top of it. I also installed the jet boat pilot riser. Not a drop has leaked since.View attachment 199291

4200, rated for below waterline, is a bit too much. 4000UV, rated for on deck, would be my choice. But you can get some of this to take it off if you need to get back under there for trim tabs or transducers. https://marineformula.com/products/marine-formula-10oz-aerosol

Last edited:
I put a bead of 4200 down, then set the tray down on top of it. I also installed the jet boat pilot riser. Not a drop has leaked since.View attachment 199291

Well, unfortunately you have glued your clean out tray down properly.

@HangOutdoors will the debond work to help out this guy to unstick his clean out tray?

It will, the sooner the easier

I'm not sure how everyone's manual reads, but mine says to put "SS" silicone sealant on the clean out tubes and access hatch Pg. 8-19. I have had my access port off multiple times and don't recall if there was any sealant on the tubes. If there was it must have been minimal. not to say you shouldn't, but I never reapplied any sealant to the tubes upon reinstallation. The cover, yes, bathroom caulk works well as stated.

I like to remove that hatch as needed. I put a thick soft gasket in the perimeter of that, makes it much easier to remove/reinstall without extra silicone.

I like to remove that hatch as needed. I put a thick soft gasket in the perimeter of that, makes it much easier to remove/reinstall without extra silicone.

Ithought about doing that just never got around to it. I believe @drewkaree actually did something like that and modded the clip nuts for the screws so you could tighten them better.

Back