• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug warning....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the brand new/rebuilt plugs are not fitting all the way down with a gentle push, and the locking mechanism works well on the plug, the problem is then very likely on the tube itself. I would suggest steel wool to clean the tube very well including the edge at the bottom and the little dimples where the dogs catch into.

The plug should fall into place almost all the way in, flush with the notch on the rear.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the new people remember there were actually 3 different styles of clean out plugs the first twist in style was replaced with the blow out plugs in the model year 2000 on up to 2016, then a second style twist in plug in 2017 to current models.
The big problem plugs were the 2000 to 2016 push button style and those do have a kit available to replace the bottom half and the gasket part number FOR-67609-09-00, however the internal workings of the plugs are not available and that is where the blowout issues occur.
Replacing the bottom half of the plug helps with the plug going in the hole and being removed from the hole but it does NOT protect from blowouts, also there are 2 different types of failures the violent blowout that breaks the rear hatch and shuts down your engines immediately to prevent engine damage from water ingestion and the partial blow out that can fill your engine compartment with water and damage an engine.
The plugs get water, sand, dirt etc inside them and that can interfere with the locking mechanism making a complete loch on the dogs, since the bottom of the plug is the bottom of your boat all the forces on your hull when underway are also on your clean out plug, these forces can blast the plug out if it is not 100 percent locked, all it takes is some sand in the track that the tray slides in to prevent a fully engaged locking pin and you can have a failure.
Here is a video I did years ago showing how the push button style plugs function.
and here is some very inexpensive insurance to protect yourself from a plug blowout if you have any 2000 model to 2016 model Yamaha jet boat. Cobra EZ-Locks

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Do not use Vaseline. It’s petroleum based and will damage or swell the rubber seal.
When we went through the orientation that is exactly what they told us to use. Either that or marine grease would work, from what we were told.

I too trailer mine, so I remove the plug, shake the water out and reinstall. Every few outings I dab a little Vaseline on the seal. I’m all ears if I need to use something else...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
when in doubt use bees wax

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when in doubt use bees wax
Jeff, was that you that mentioned using the wax toilet rings? Are those beeswax? I know that if they seal a toilet for years on end, they should work to lube stuff as well.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, you guys spray your plugs with silicon spray? Just the bottom half or the whole thing? I'd imagine (moving parts + water), it just might be a good idea to just put a good coating on the whole thing, right?

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good question, now curious. I was thinking just the seal part but what about the moving parts?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I silicone spray everything on the plug...including my fingers.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length