• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CO readings from the swim deck of my boat

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have read with only mild interest the threads that have mentioned CO exposure on the swim deck while idling the boat. I will state I may have allowed people to remain seated on the swim deck while repositioning the boat due to the wind getting us close to the shoreline. Someone recently posted a link to a cheap CO monitor so I thought I would investigate myself. The attached word document has the results but I will say I was seeing more than 400 ppm while idleing the boat in forward going with the wind. Even going into the wind I was seeing above 100 ppm.

Guys this is kinda serious. If you are allowing people to stay on the swim platform with the engines running they are inhaling CO. Granted it will take hours of exposure to get to a life threatening situation. But after seeing what I saw today, I will be altering some of my practices.

Just wanted to give some firm data so you can be a responible boat captain.

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What most people dont realize is they feel that they dont smell exhaust so they are fine. Its definitely not the case. NO ONE rides on my swim platform.
As you stated @buckbuck i only allow someone to get on the platform for a few seconds if i am docking so the can jump on the dock

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks for the work put into this. Great info.

I never let anyone on the swim deck while the boat is running. I get lots of pushback from my kids, because they think its a dumb rule. This will help prove to them I’m not overreacting about nothing.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got that one too, I thought their testing method was pretty dumb. Use a lit cigarette 🤦‍♂️. I smoke cigars, so it wasn't a big deal, but running it near the tail pipe of my car worked too.

What was eye opening to me was how quickly it jumped over 500ppm, and just how long it took to drop below 100ppm

I'm hoping to test it in the cockpit, near the rear seats to see how much blowback there is at no wake speeds.

Nice $35 spend

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hung it on the ignition keys and when putting the boat on the trailer it went into alarm. The wind was blowing the exhaust back over the cabin and I believe it goes into alarm at 50 ppm. Probably not a serious issue at 50 ppm but something to be aware of.
Thanks @drewkaree for providing that link in the other thread.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I appreciate you measuring and posting results!

So…. How many of you drive in stop and go traffic everyday?

It would be interesting to put one of these monitors in your car while sitting in traffic.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got that one too, I thought their testing method was pretty dumb. Use a lit cigarette 🤦‍♂️. I smoke cigars, so it wasn't a big deal, but running it near the tail pipe of my car worked too.

What was eye opening to me was how quickly it jumped over 500ppm, and just how long it took to drop below 100ppm

I'm hoping to test it in the cockpit, near the rear seats to see how much blowback there is at no wake speeds.

Nice $35 spend
Thats interesting, when I was welding for a living and using TIG for the root pass on full Xray tested welds we used to tape up both ends of the pipe and put an Argon hose in one end and seal it it, then poke holes in the tape of the opposite end, we would hold a lit cigarette by the opposite end, as soon as the that escaping air would start putting the cherry out the pipe had been purged of atmosphere and you were ready to make the weld.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I rarely hav
So…. How many of you drive in stop and go traffic everyday?

It would be interesting to put one of these monitors in your car while sitting in traffic.
I rarely have my windows open, and a/c or heat is always on recirculation

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Great post...Just got mine the other day and will be installing it this weekend. Very curious to see the reading.

It's so tempting to say yes when passengers ask if the can sit there...But it's always a no from me.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the biggest issues is that the half life foryour body to get rid of the CO2 in your system is long. So even multiple short intemittent exposures can build up and then there is a point of no return if the level gets to high in the person. At a certain point nothing can be done.

Its basically ppm over time which can build over multiple exposures during the CO's half life. So even minimal time with high PPM over repetition on same day could cause a lethal build up. Or minimal PPM over shorter time with repetition can cause a lethal build up.

It also builds up in the body and doesn't vacate quickly. The half-life of carboxyhemoglobin is approximately 5 hours. This means that for a given exposure level, it will take about 5 hours for the level of carboxyhemoglobin in the blood to drop to half its current level after the exposure is terminated. Which means multiple short sessions have a period of a long session, this is typically what causes the grave circumstances on a boat. Furthermore it isn't just the amount of time you are exposed, it is also about PPM over time, so a broad statement such as "Not long" is of no significance unless you can determine the PPM rate. A chart below for reference, that I copied.

PPM COTimeSymptoms
358 hoursMaximum exposure allowed by OSHA in the workplace over an eight hour period.
2002-3 hoursMild headache, fatigue, nausea and dizziness.
4001-2 hoursSerious headache-other symptoms intensify. Life threatening after 3 hours.
80045 minutesDizziness, nausea and convulsions. Unconscious within 2 hours. Death within 2-3 hours.
160020 minutesHeadache, dizziness and nausea. Death within 1 hour.
32005-10 minutesHeadache, dizziness and nausea. Death within 1 hour.
64001-2 minutesHeadache, dizziness and nausea. Death within 25-30 minutes.
12,8001-3 minutesDeath

Since you don't vacate it the moment you stop inhaling it, is where things can get bad. If you re expose during the day (check Half Life of CO in body) then it just adds and adds.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have read with only mild interest the threads that have mentioned CO exposure on the swim deck while idling the boat. I will state I may have allowed people to remain seated on the swim deck while repositioning the boat due to the wind getting us close to the shoreline. Someone recently posted a link to a cheap CO monitor so I thought I would investigate myself. The attached word document has the results but I will say I was seeing more than 400 ppm while idleing the boat in forward going with the wind. Even going into the wind I was seeing above 100 ppm.

Guys this is kinda serious. If you are allowing people to stay on the swim platform with the engines running they are inhaling CO. Granted it will take hours of exposure to get to a life threatening situation. But after seeing what I saw today, I will be altering some of my practices.

Just wanted to give some firm data so you can be a responible boat captain.
Buck,
where did you have the monitor on the rear platform readings ? did you just lay it on the step, did you velcro it to the step through, did someone sit in the cabin and hold it over the walk through ?

I'd also like to know what the reading is for surfers, maybe run a tube 6 feet back on the surf side, I occasionally smell a lot of exhaust,

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well..... Where are the electric Jet Boats with a 150+ mile range......? I would get in line....

Or better yet a hydrogen powered boat jet boat with unlimited range using the water?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Buck,
where did you have the monitor on the rear platform readings ? did you just lay it on the step, did you velcro it to the step through, did someone sit in the cabin and hold it over the walk through ?

I'd also like to know what the reading is for surfers, maybe run a tube 6 feet back on the surf side, I occasionally smell a lot of exhaust,
I MAY have sat on the swim deck and held it in front of my face while my son in law piloted the boat.
Your surf observation has got me quite interested. This device is IP65 rated so I think I could take it out with me. I just don't think it will read anything because we are moving through the air at 10 mph.
But we will see. Stay tuned.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always wondered about wake surfing because you are very close to the transom

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I MAY have sat on the swim deck and held it in front of my face while my son in law piloted the boat.
Your surf observation has got me quite interested. This device is IP65 rated so I think I could take it out with me. I just don't think it will read anything because we are moving through the air at 10 mph.
But we will see. Stay tuned.
When I stuck it near my exhaust, obviously it instantly climbed, but even moving about 8-10' away, it wasn't dropping anywhere near as fast as I expected it to, about 5-20ppm, the 20 due to some gusts. It took a good minute for it to drop to 350ppm from whatever the high reading was, and if I had to guess, in or near the stream of exhaust where I was would have still not dropped below 150 even over time.

I suspect you're right, that the movement you're mentioning may mitigate the issue, and I didn't even realize what you pointed out about it being IP65 rated. Throw the strap around a wrist, and you should be able to perform a valuable test

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try it with a shield facing the boat to create a vacuum around the obstruction so it is sampling slower moving air. For example, put the reader in a small margarine tub and face the bottom of the tub to the boat. There has to be a high concentration because you are continually moving through this "cloud" of exhaust. These results will be interesting!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try it with a shield facing the boat to create a vacuum around the obstruction so it is sampling slower moving air. For example, put the reader in a small margarine tub and face the bottom of the tub to the boat. There has to be a high concentration because you are continually moving through this "cloud" of exhaust. These results will be interesting!
Interested in this and the readings..... I would do it but unfortunately I cannot Wake Surf :(