• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

• Are you kidding? I never leave home without one!

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • Sometimes, depending on where I am boating

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • I do occasionally but its not something I usually think about

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • I would but I do not have a concealed carry permit

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • NEVER! I would never own, much less carry, a gun

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 38 16.5%

• Total voters

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bennie...I didn't have enough time last night to thoroughly respond to your post. My original post "..bullet holes and boats don't mix" was meant to be something for folks to consider. I am a responsible firearm carrier, with training, advanced training, short range training, practice, etc., so no, I don't worry about holes in cars and homes. But none of my training involves short range shooting scenarios on a boat rocking around on waves causing balance issues with a gas tank right below my feet while my family is all around me. So to be a responsible firearm carrier, I choose not to carry on the boat. But that's just me and my comfort level. Here in Louisville an active shooter at a grocery store was confronted by a concealed carrier in the parking lot. In the space of a parking spot, the conceal carrier shot at the suspect eight times, and missed all eight and is now responsible for all the the things he hit, including a bunch of cars. Those kind of things make me think twice about carrying on my boat.
Brother, completely understandable. And I holistically agree, a rocking platform with an explosive underneath your feet is by no means an "ideal" place for a firearm. Additionally by no means am I pushing for others to carry on their vessels.

I believe I may have interjected comments based on my own experiences without full disclosure. I merely understand my own boating experiences, the confrontations that I have been able to avoid, and how easily those scenarios could have turned out much worse given just a slight deviation. As noted above these occur primarily (if not completely) in areas of close congregation, such as sand bars, docks, and ramps. In my experience, drunk, rowdy, tired, sunburned groups of individuals have the tendency to become a very boisterous, physical mop that is best left avoided. However what if you were stuck in their midst, say while at a ramp? Hence, I have made the personal decision to carry.

Please let me also say that I feel for the local individual that decided to confront an armed burglar. It was a very bold move that unfortunately he, and his family, will be paying for for a very long time. As you noted, definitely food for thought. Thank you for sharing that.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Picking up a nickle plated 12 gauge and magnetic permanent mounts for the boat this season to tuck in a great location on the boat for it to stay on every outing... The spot should keep it very readily available but completely hidden unless you get down on hands and knees and put head completely inside storage to find it. Usually keep my handgun and lay off alcohol while boating but hate having to find a good place for it every trip out...

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I bring cone spray fox police issued pepper spray. Anyone wants to be a dick and talk shit they get sprayed in the face. It also works well against a bunch of stupid high school kids who have all had a bit too much to drink. We have a very rowdy at times spot where kids last year jumped a off duty cop. I carry my xds everyday but in a boat with my kids, where would I put it. It's always loaded with one in the chamber. So it stays in the truck in a pistol safe.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 12 guage flare gun and a shore spike. I figure that's enough to repel boarders.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, but not because i'm some "i would never own a gun" person. I dont see a need. Maybe if i was going somepla e where pirates were a risk or something, but on the lake? No need, i dont live in some paranoid dream world where everyone is out to get me, i live in the real world where relaxing and not tryimg to be mr macho st all times works best.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, but not because i'm some "i would never own a gun" person. I dont see a need. Maybe if i was going somepla e where pirates were a risk or something, but on the lake? No need, i dont live in some paranoid dream world where everyone is out to get me, i live in the real world where relaxing and not tryimg to be mr macho st all times works best.

I’d rather have it and not need it...

Here’s some light reading.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I boat on a small lake. We go from the marina to a restaurant or the sand bar where there are many boats. We also dont anchor up with the mass of boats.

Nobody is going to try to rob us on the boat. That would require them already having a boat, and would mean MANY people would be around to witness, and they dont have an easy escape route.

Could there be an altercation? Unlikely, but possible. Would pulling a gun out solve it? Hell no, would most likely make it worse. I'd rather have to get in a fist fight win or lose than pull a gun and get into a gunfight.

Again, I get it, not everyone has the same boating situation as I do. But for my boating, I cant think of a situation where having a gun would have any positive effect.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Again, I get it, not everyone has the same boating situation as I do. But for my boating, I cant think of a situation where having a gun would have any positive effect.
Well said sir. Thank you for understanding that not all boating areas/situations are the same.

It sounds like you have the opportunity to boat on a very peaceful lake. There are plenty of days that I wish I had access to such a waterway. I'm quite jealous!

Enjoy bud. The lake sounds great!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well said sir. Thank you for understanding that not all boating areas/situations are the same.

It sounds like you have the opportunity to boat on a very peaceful lake. There are plenty of days that I wish I had access to such a waterway. I'm quite jealous!

Enjoy bud. The lake sounds great!
It really is. My marina is 1700 bucks a year for my boat and trailer, and they have it down in like 10 minutes after I call.

I think the fact that not everyone has the same situation is lost on most of America nowdays. Its very sad.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'll just say that I'm glad I'm able to boat in places and in a way where I feel the likelihood of ever getting into an altercation, let alone one that would require an armed response, is as close to zero as it can be. We don't go to "party coves", don't use the boat ramp on busy days (have a slip), avoid crowded areas, and so on. Sure, there have been times when I've been pissed at a dangerous boater getting too close underway, but in none of those situations would a firearm have had any utility. Honestly, some of the scenarios people experience would make me rather just do something else. Understand that I'm not against concealed carry at all. This is just my own situation and I'm thankful for it.

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
That is good news for you. The fact that most of us live in a place where we don't actually *NEED* to have a firearm in hand (or close at hand) at all times speaks volumes about our society as a whole - and of us as boat owners as well, since that's most of who we'd interact with while carrying on a boat.

That said, I live in Canada, and have my boat on my lake (well - it will be soon once things have warmed up a bit more - there was still ice on the lake a week and a half ago, and we had snow again this morning!) so my interactions are literally with my neighbours, and in fact my kids go to school with many of the other families that live on the lake. For me, carrying on my boat is not just unnecessary, it's unlawful.

However.

I do have a cannon which I keep close-by my dock, and on Canada Day and Saint Barbara's Day, it gets fired across the lake (Blanks!)

600 grains of Fg Black Powder is fun!

Attachments

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
In my home waters I have FLORIDA MAN to contend with... SOOO with that being said I always have personal protection gear on board.
I often will go out 20-40 miles offshore in search of fish. The local boaters (i'm from Wis) advised me to have at least one on board..
I haven't brought one with to Bimini due to the "temporary" confiscation that occurs. But I have when crossing 100 miles of water to go to KEY WEST.

Is it necessary ? NO
But neither is a life jacket.......unless you need it.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You sound like you’d make an easy victim, but to each his own. Me, after 10 years in the Army with 5 deployments, and now being a police sergeant, I don’t leave home without one

Attachments

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You sound like you’d make an easy victim, but to each his own. Me, after 10 years in the Army with 5 deployments, and now being a police sergeant, I don’t leave home without one
I just find it highly unlikely that someone would come up to my boat on a small lake to mess with me. What are they gonna do, swim up to me? Then they'd have to physically deal with me, and at 6'2 that's not that easy either. Then you've got the mass of people around, who would either see the commotion and get involved, or at least get identify the criminal. Then they have to get away... Again on a small lake with people around. And for what? Some beer or water on my boat?

Not an easy victim at all. Just a low risk situation.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is something I haven't really put much thought into......until our first trip out this season. I have a little one, and my CCW (I am licensed to carry) does not have a safety on it. For the sole purpose if I'm pulling that out I need it to fire without thinking about taking a safety off. I have a shield 9mm. I have a 5 yo and tend to have little ones on my boat. Not sure I could live with myself should one of them go into a storage area to move stuff around and happen to grab it wrong.

That being said I ran into an old man at a ramp that was looking for a fight. Fortunately my family was with me or else the situation could have escalated. He had a gun on his hip, very visible. Leads me to believe he doesn't have a CCW license ( can carry without a permit as long as it isn't concealed in NC), OR this jack wagon has had his ass stomped in several times before cause he's a dbag so he felt the need to have it readily available and visible. Judging by how he went out of his way to start an argument I'm venturing to guess it's the latter. Up until this point I never thought once to bring my gun on my boat. We generally don't run into people like that guy. Also we don't go to party coves, and tend to find more remote parts of the lake. However, this latest run in made me think twice. Maybe I should get another EDC with a safety for the boat just in case dickbags like that dude looking for a fight find their way to my family.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Free men don’t ask permission. 😀
Well, I just moved from Missouri to New Jersey. I don’t think I would advocate for using that approach here, in New Jersey. LOL.

That’s said, having been boating in areas that I would consider methamphetamine central for many years, it probably is wise to pack, for example when in an empty parking lot by a ramp at night, and we have.
However, once actually boating I have never felt the need to carry.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just find it highly unlikely that someone would come up to my boat on a small lake to mess with me. What are they gonna do, swim up to me? Then they'd have to physically deal with me, and at 6'2 that's not that easy either. Then you've got the mass of people around, who would either see the commotion and get involved, or at least get identify the criminal. Then they have to get away... Again on a small lake with people around. And for what? Some beer or water on my boat?

Not an easy victim at all. Just a low risk situation.
I understand your argument and point of view, but, most things are low risk until something happens. Driving to the store is low risk, and then one day you get carjacked. Trust me, nobody cares how tall you are or how much you weigh, if you don't know how or aren't prepared to defend yourself size doesn't mean anything, a guy half your size that does know how, would smack you around no problem, you're at the disadvantage because you're trying to figure out what's happening and react. Are you ever on the water after dark? Pull up to the dock and there aren't as many people, if any, around. Most boat ramps are more remote, not in the middle of a populated metro area, easy pickings for some low life that knows people who own boats tend to have money and other nice things. You never know who or what you'll come across. I mainly boat on Lake Geneva, WI. The most expensive real estate in WI. Last year a fisherman had his truck, boat, and phone stolen at gunpoint at 430am. 2 years before that I was at a boat ramp and a couple drunk frat boy types got physically violent with a 64 year old man because he told them to go away when they started to harass him when they felt he was taking too long to launch his boat, there were 5 of them and 1 of me, so being trained to fight and my size meant nothing, what resolved that was me having a gun to point at them and hold them until the Sheriff got there.
Obviously we all have different life experiences, but I'd rather be prepared. I deal with criminals day in and day out, and believe it or not, they're smart, they can spot an easy mark. People who aren't alert or paying attention to their surroundings. Trust me, that attitude you have about low risk and what could actually happen, it shows in people's demeanor. That's why I called you an easy target. Do what you feel is right for you and your family though. I hope you stay safe and have a good boating season

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is something I haven't really put much thought into......until our first trip out this season. I have a little one, and my CCW (I am licensed to carry) does not have a safety on it. For the sole purpose if I'm pulling that out I need it to fire without thinking about taking a safety off. I have a shield 9mm. I have a 5 yo and tend to have little ones on my boat. Not sure I could live with myself should one of them go into a storage area to move stuff around and happen to grab it wrong.

That being said I ran into an old man at a ramp that was looking for a fight. Fortunately my family was with me or else the situation could have escalated. He had a gun on his hip, very visible. Leads me to believe he doesn't have a CCW license ( can carry without a permit as long as it isn't concealed in NC), OR this jack wagon has had his ass stomped in several times before cause he's a dbag so he felt the need to have it readily available and visible. Judging by how he went out of his way to start an argument I'm venturing to guess it's the latter. Up until this point I never thought once to bring my gun on my boat. We generally don't run into people like that guy. Also we don't go to party coves, and tend to find more remote parts of the lake. However, this latest run in made me think twice. Maybe I should get another EDC with a safety for the boat just in case dickbags like that dude looking for a fight find their way to my family.
I would look into a retention holster and leave the weapon in the holster in a compartment. I'm in law enforcement and that's what we use. It usually has 3 retention points, or places within that put pressure(grip) on the weapon so it can't easily be removed from the holster unless it's coming out a very specific way. Basically, when it's on my hip, if I don't pull it straight up, like the way a person carrying a weapon would draw it, it's not coming out. It's designed for, say I'm wrestling with a bad guy and he goes for my weapon, it's not coming out of the holster, unless that bad guy is pulling it at the perfect angle which is highly unlikely. Even if it was being pulled at the right angle, a young child wouldn't have the strength. Or lock it in your glovebox and keep the key on your person on a lanyard.