• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

• Are you kidding? I never leave home without one!

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • Sometimes, depending on where I am boating

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • I do occasionally but its not something I usually think about

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • I would but I do not have a concealed carry permit

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • NEVER! I would never own, much less carry, a gun

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 38 16.5%

• Total voters

Magyar86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I don’t think I will ever need it but I am armed at all times, idc if they have legal signs posted or what the law is, I am always carrying. On my person, in my truck, on my boat. Pray I’ll never have a use for it but with how things are out there these days you aren’t even safe in a church. Some people dont agree with me and that’s ok, to each their own, but I’ll always be armed. I can afford the fines IF I ever got in trouble, however, I can’t afford for something to happen to me or my family. No amount of money can bring someone back.
That said the gun I have in the boat is a stainless and coated 38 special revolver. I know it will always work and won’t be effected by the elements. I don’t keep it on me, it stays in a case stowed away.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I understand your argument and point of view, but, most things are low risk until something happens. Driving to the store is low risk, and then one day you get carjacked. Trust me, nobody cares how tall you are or how much you weigh, if you don't know how or aren't prepared to defend yourself size doesn't mean anything, a guy half your size that does know how, would smack you around no problem, you're at the disadvantage because you're trying to figure out what's happening and react. Are you ever on the water after dark? Pull up to the dock and there aren't as many people, if any, around. Most boat ramps are more remote, not in the middle of a populated metro area, easy pickings for some low life that knows people who own boats tend to have money and other nice things. You never know who or what you'll come across. I mainly boat on Lake Geneva, WI. The most expensive real estate in WI. Last year a fisherman had his truck, boat, and phone stolen at gunpoint at 430am. 2 years before that I was at a boat ramp and a couple drunk frat boy types got physically violent with a 64 year old man because he told them to go away when they started to harass him when they felt he was taking too long to launch his boat, there were 5 of them and 1 of me, so being trained to fight and my size meant nothing, what resolved that was me having a gun to point at them and hold them until the Sheriff got there.
Obviously we all have different life experiences, but I'd rather be prepared. I deal with criminals day in and day out, and believe it or not, they're smart, they can spot an easy mark. People who aren't alert or paying attention to their surroundings. Trust me, that attitude you have about low risk and what could actually happen, it shows in people's demeanor. That's why I called you an easy target. Do what you feel is right for you and your family though. I hope you stay safe and have a good boating season
Like I was saying, none of those situations reflect mine. We keep our boat at a private marina, and are only out during daylight hours. I'm also pretty good at defusing situations without having to pull a gun on people. Obviously not all situations are the same. We are looking at relocating to a place where we will be using boat ramps, and that will require a reassessment of the situation. But until then, I'm not an easy target, I'm not a target at all because I'm not in situations to be a target.

Tbh, I worry more about the old guy who feels that pulling his gun out is the proper course of action for verbal harassment than 5 frat boys talking shit.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like I was saying, none of those situations reflect mine. We keep our boat at a private marina, and are only out during daylight hours. I'm also pretty good at defusing situations without having to pull a gun on people. Obviously not all situations are the same. We are looking at relocating to a place where we will be using boat ramps, and that will require a reassessment of the situation. But until then, I'm not an easy target, I'm not a target at all because I'm not in situations to be a target.

Tbh, I worry more about the old guy who feels that pulling his gun out is the proper course of action for verbal harassment than 5 frat boys talking shit.
You must have missed the part where verbal harassment turned into physical violence

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would look into a retention holster and leave the weapon in the holster in a compartment. I'm in law enforcement and that's what we use. It usually has 3 retention points, or places within that put pressure(grip) on the weapon so it can't easily be removed from the holster unless it's coming out a very specific way. Basically, when it's on my hip, if I don't pull it straight up, like the way a person carrying a weapon would draw it, it's not coming out. It's designed for, say I'm wrestling with a bad guy and he goes for my weapon, it's not coming out of the holster, unless that bad guy is pulling it at the perfect angle which is highly unlikely. Even if it was being pulled at the right angle, a young child wouldn't have the strength. Or lock it in your glovebox and keep the key on your person on a lanyard.
I actually have one. I didn't realize that's what I bought at the time as it was recommended to me by a buddy. My boat doesn't have a lockable glove box.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You must have missed the part where verbal harassment turned into physical violence
I did. But tbh, I would rather get a black eye from a drunk frat boy than have to put them all at gunpoint and possibly have to kill one or more of them. I will recover from a black eye, aggravated manslaughter charges... Not as much.

Or just don't provoke a situation in the first place. I highly doubt the old guy responded with "sorry it's taking so long, I will be done in a second". He probably responded aggressively, and provoked them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
should one of them go into a storage area to move stuff around and happen to grab it wrong.
Please put that firearm in some sort of holster, no matter where you store it.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just find it highly unlikely that someone would come up to my boat on a small lake to mess with me. What are they gonna do, swim up to me? Then they'd have to physically deal with me, and at 6'2 that's not that easy either. Then you've got the mass of people around, who would either see the commotion and get involved, or at least get identify the criminal. Then they have to get away... Again on a small lake with people around. And for what? Some beer or water on my boat?

Not an easy victim at all. Just a low risk situation.
What about your travel to and from the lake? Think about the places you stop, i.e. gas station or quick mart. Those places seem to attract the crazies. You pull up in a nice truck and boat and all the sudden, all eyes on you and your family.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had a few guns, but right now I only have an old .22 that my grandfather left when he passed. I've been through a lot of neighborhoods and i've never felt threatened in any way that I need a firearm. Even the worst of neighborhoods has people like you and I that are just trying to live a good life without problem. Most criminals are opportunists that will try to steal from you and there isn't a benefit to confronting you with violence. I'm worried more about the drunk morons on the water. I had a conflict with a drunk jet skiier that insisted on riding my stand up jet ski and he didn't like that I told him no. Thankfully it didn't escalate into a fight because I think his better judgement came to him (him vs 5 guys). But even then I didn't hope to have a firearm. What good is it if i'm standing in 1ft of water and 300ft from my boat?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this topic has a way of getting skewed somewhat. I carry.... but I dont carry for the drunk guy that wants to get mouthy... I have deescilation skills for that. The best one is leave him where he sits.... it's not for the asshat that thinks the rules dont apply to him... it's not for the guy that want to roll down the window and yell at u for not letting them merge...... it's for the guy that approaches you and wants to end you without a word for the pos $20 sneakers u have. Or wants to go through your stuff to get something to sell for a hit of meth. Or the guy that decides to rob the store with a gun and just shoot the people in there only to run off with a case of beer, a stack of lotto tickets and a snickers bar. Most people dont realize how often this happens... it happens.... a lot!

We rational people try to place a rational explanation on irrational actions. Some people just look to harm people just because they like it. I carry but I have never been in a situation on my personal time where I felt I needed it. Bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods, downtown, up town outside the local pd, local high school football games... its doesnt matter. There are people who just simply want to hurt people. Often they are not argumentative, they are not loud they just want to harm either for personal property gains (theft) or personal gratification. If I were approached in a parking lot and a guy had a knife and said give me your keys there is a good chance depending on how close he was to me I would thrown him my keys to keep from killing him... not because I am scared but because my old pos truck isnt worth a life.... but if that same guy decided he was just gonna run up on me and stab me without a word then Take my keys he will find out it is not likely to go the way he intended.

Here is the base level on this issue!!!

There are people that will not telegraph their intentions.

There are people who will do it simply because the day of the week ends in y!

There is no place it cant happen.

THERE IS EVIL IN THE WORLD AND PEOPLE WHO INTEND TO DO EVIL BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

Be hyper vigilant. I tell my family when u exit your car at walmart look around the entire parking lot. If someone is looking at u or if they are not walking straight towards the building or straight to their cars (i.e. walking side ways in a parking lot) you watch them. Let them know you see them and u know that shit ain't right!... making yourself a hard target by using body langauge will often end a situation before it starts.... however.... there are always people that dont care...

Being smart is what's it about.... making sure no one has the power to decide if my life or the lives of my family ends on their whim is why I carry. And I hope I never use it.

THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS AFTER LIVING MY LIFE THAT HAS SHAPPED MY VIEW. THIS STATEMENT IS NOT AN ATTEMPT IN CONVINCING ANYONE TO CARRY THAT DOESNT WANT TO. IT IS A HEAVY BURDEN TO CARRY A WEAPON. IF YOU DONT THINK IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU, THEN IT ISNT!!!

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You asked... My carry is a 5” lockable flip blade knife and close quarter training and experience. It’s always available, versatile and can escalate the situation in skilled hands.

In my opinion, having a firearm on your boat in the U.S. gives you a false sense of security.

That weapon in your hand is designed for only one purpose and when presented should have a consequence and in our situation and circumstance, most of us are not prepared for that consequence.

Incidentally, Do you carry when you are on the pier launching or mooring or going to get your trailer? If you don’t carry all the time it’s probably not going to be handy when you “think “ you will need it.

And when have you taken that “boat gun” to the range?

I know I am making some sense to some of you but opinions are opinions...

Hopefully, some food for thought...

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this topic has a way to get skewed somewhat. I carry.... but I dont carry for the drunk guy that wants to get mouthy... I have deescilation skills for that. The best one is leave him where he sits.... it's not for the asshat that thinks the rules dont apply to him... it's not for the guy that want to roll down the window and yell at u for not letting them merge...... it's for the guy that approaches you and wants to end you without a word for the pos $20 sneakers u have. Or wants to go through your stuff to get something to sell for a hit of meth. Or the guy that decides to rob the store with a gun and just shoot the people in there only to run off with a case of beer, a stack of lotto tickets and a snickers bar. Most people dont realize jownoftwn this happens... it happens.... a lot!

We rational people try to place a rational explanation on irrational actions. Some people just look to harm people just because they like it. I carry but I have never been in a situation on my personal time where I felt I need it. Bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods, downtown, up town outside the local pd, local high school football games... its doesnt matter. There are people who just simply want to hurt people. Often they are not argumentative, they are not loud they just want to harm either for personal property gains (theft) or personal gratification. If I were approached in a parking lot and a guy had a knife and said give me your keys there is a good chance depending on how close he was to me I would thrown him my keys to keep from killing him... not because I am scared but because my old pos truck isnt worth a life.... but if that same guy decided he was just gonna run up on me and stab me without a word then Take my keys he will find out it is not likely to go the way he intended.

THERE IS EVIL IN THE WORLD AND PEOPLE WHO INTEND TO DO EVIL BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

Be hyper vigilant. I tell my family when u exit your car at walmart look around the entire parking lot. If someone is looking at u or if they are not walking straight towards the building or straight to their cars (i.e. walking side ways in a parking lot) you watch them. Let them know you see them and u know that shit ain't right!... making yourself a hard target by using body langauge will often end a situation before it starts.... however.... there are always people that dont care...

Being smart is what's it about.... making sure no one has the power to decide if my life or the lives of my family ends on their whim is why I carry. And I hope I never use it.

THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS AFTER LIVING MY LIFE THAT HAS SHAPPED MY VIEW. THIS STATEMENT IS NOT AN ATTEMOT IN CONVINCING ANYONE TO CARRY THAT DOESNT WANT TO. IT IS A HEAVY BURDEN TO CARRY A WEAPON. IF YOU DONT THINK IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU, THEN IT ISNT!!!
Well said, Sir! I echo your thoughts.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think this topic has a way to get skewed somewhat. I carry.... but I dont carry for the drunk guy that wants to get mouthy... I have deescilation skills for that. The best one is leave him where he sits.... it's not for the asshat that thinks the rules dont apply to him... it's not for the guy that want to roll down the window and yell at u for not letting them merge...... it's for the guy that approaches you and wants to end you without a word for the pos $20 sneakers u have. Or wants to go through your stuff to get something to sell for a hit of meth. Or the guy that decides to rob the store with a gun and just shoot the people in there only to run off with a case of beer, a stack of lotto tickets and a snickers bar. Most people dont realize jownoftwn this happens... it happens.... a lot!

We rational people try to place a rational explanation on irrational actions. Some people just look to harm people just because they like it. I carry but I have never been in a situation on my personal time where I felt I need it. Bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods, downtown, up town outside the local pd, local high school football games... its doesnt matter. There are people who just simply want to hurt people. Often they are not argumentative, they are not loud they just want to harm either for personal property gains (theft) or personal gratification. If I were approached in a parking lot and a guy had a knife and said give me your keys there is a good chance depending on how close he was to me I would thrown him my keys to keep from killing him... not because I am scared but because my old pos truck isnt worth a life.... but if that same guy decided he was just gonna run up on me and stab me without a word then Take my keys he will find out it is not likely to go the way he intended.

THESE ARE MY THOUGHTS AFTER LIVING MY LIFE THAT HAS SHAPPED MY VIEW. THIS STATEMENT IS NOT AN ATTEMOT IN CONVINCING ANYONE TO CARRY THAT DOESNT WANT TO. IT IS A HEAVY BURDEN TO CARRY A WEAPON. IF YOU DONT THINK IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU, THEN IT ISNT!!!
This was a reasonable counter argument to my own. If you practice what you preach, then by all means I support your right to carry. I'm somewhere between the 2 arguments for gun control because I am skeptical of some gun owners that buy to be "tacticool" or whatever they saw on Call of Duty. If I ever leave New York i'll probably buy a handgun for sport shooting, but I wouldn't carry only because I would never remember to bring it with me.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You asked... My carry is a 5” lockable flip blade knife and close quarter training and experience. It’s always available, versatile and can escalate the situation in skilled hands.
this is something i should have put in my post... skill level and level of training. I agree, a knife in a well trained hand in close quarters can trump a firearm with significant training. A knife from 20 feet away not as much!

In my opinion, having a firearm on your boat in the U.S. gives you a false sense of security.

That weapon in your hand is designed for only one purpose and when presented should have a consequence and in our situation and circumstance, most of us are not prepared for that consequence.

I think if most people are put in a situation where they could either use a weapon to keep from being killed two seconds later or decide not to use lethal force, most people would try to defend themselves. Where the failure tends to come is mental preparedness. (Look up the virginia tech murders and you will see a pattern). For some the weapon can be a false since of security but for others it's just a tool. It prob goes back to level of training.

Incidentally, Do you carry when you are on the pier launching or mooring or going to get your trailer? If you don’t carry all the time it’s probably not going to be handy when you “think “ you will need it.

yes yes and sometimes. And I would not use "think" they would use it. If u truly need one you would most often know it but that make come back to the training and mental preparedness.

And when have you taken that “boat gun” to the range?
any and ever time I get the chance... I like shredding paper, or pallets, or water jugs, or whatever else is cool to watch go pop!

I know I am making some sense to some of you but opinions are opinions...

Hopefully, some food for thought...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was a reasonable counter argument to my own. If you practice what you preach, then by all means I support your right to carry. I'm somewhere between the 2 arguments for gun control because I am skeptical of some gun owners that buy to be "tacticool" or whatever they saw on Call of Duty. If I ever leave New York i'll probably buy a handgun for sport shooting, but I wouldn't carry only because I would never remember to bring it with me.
ya know what pisses me off?... I typed that long ass comment and didnt once come up with the term "tacticool" !!! But I am totally stealing it now... that is my new favorite term. And I totally agree with what u are saying!

seriously that is another thing I didnt cover and prob should have. There are a lot of these guys around, Kinda the same thing as a keyboard warrior mentality. Some of them think they are now a bad ass because they have their $1200 kimber in a holster open carrying COCKED AND LOCKED! The only time I think open carry is ok is when you are trying to make a statement about your constitutional rights.... other than that, I think it makes u the first target for when the eveil shows up.

TACTICOOL! I love it! Txs.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ya know what pisses me off?... I typed that long ass comment and didnt once come up with the term "tacticool" !!! But I am totally stealing it now... that is my new favorite term. And I totally agree with what u are saying!

seriously that is another thing I didnt cover and prob should have. There are a lot of these guys around. Kinda the same thing as a keyboard warrior mentality. Some of them think they are now a bad ass because they have their 1200 kimber in a holster open carrying COCKED AND LOCKED! The only time I think open carry is ok is when you are trying to make a statement about your constitutional rights.... other than that, I think it makes u the first target for when the eveil shows up.

TACTICOOL! I love it! Txs.
I can't believe you've never heard that term before lol I heard it a lot 10 years ago when I had my AR15. I had an eotech 512 and magpul forward grip and I thought that was enough. Some other guys would go to the shooting range with all sorts of crap hanging off their gun and trying to look like a navy seal operator. I got into a pretty expensive motorcycle accident and sold my $2000 kit.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a ak with the 512 edtech (still building my ar) with a forgrip.. and that's it. All that other crap just makes that damn thing heavy... holding it long enough to pop of 10 15 rounds and then setting it down is one thing... carry that thing around for work on a call for a while and u start stripping crap off of it!.. lol. Tacticool!!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I agree with all this. I am a retired Lt. from the MA Dept of Corrections. There is a lot more mental health issue patients in the prisons now because there’s no place to put them. It’s been like this for over a decade. Many times I’d just be talking to an inmate and next thing I know I would be rolling around on the floor with him because he was trying to gouge my eyes out or something. There are so many people out there without normal filters that we take for granted that do wrong things. Like @bronze_10 said it’s not the big mouth punk you usually have to worry about.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I'm camping, it's on me. Depends where I'm boating.