• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DRiVE Impressions

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I didn't see many first hand accounts of the DRiVE system from actual owners, so figured I'd provide my impressions after 3 months of usage.

I have the 222XD, so it has both the "Yamaha Drive Control" and DRiVE. My understanding is that the Yamaha Drive Control is just the throttle by wire, and the full DRiVE system combines that with the paddle throttle controls and the steering servo remapping for docking.

The part of it that I find the most useful is the single throttle mode. 95% of the time, you don't need differential thrust, and it's just more convenient to have the engines synch'd while tooling around. That's available with just the Yamaha Drive Control though, so wouldn't be a reason to spend the extra money on DRiVE.

It's probably obvious to most, but just in case, you don't have a differential thrust option with DRiVE engaged (e.g. starboard forward, port reverse). The paddles either put both sides in forward or reverse. I've had an AR230 for 20 years, and there aren't that many times where I really needed differential thrust, so not a big deal, but when conditions call for it, it's useful to have. You still have that option, but you need to disengage the paddles to get it.

In general operation, the throttle by wire and steering by wire work well while underway. The steering motor is noisy but I don't find it objectionable.

As to how DRiVE works for docking? Well, I'm underwhelmed. The paddle control mapping is a bit funky for my tastes. The non-linearity can encourage abruptness of control sometimes. You can train your brain, but you have more fine control with the throttle lever. Most (or many at least) docking maneuvers require blips of thrust rather than continuous thrust, so the spring loaded paddles are nice from that perspective, returning you to zero thrust when you let go. But the downside of that is that when you let go, the buckets return to neutral. There are a bunch of times though when it's more appropriate to have the buckets in forward, but the engine at idle. Gives you just the right amount of control authority depending on conditions. That's not really an option with Drive.

My final observation is that while the steering re-mapping associated with DRiVE mode is a great idea, even with that, the wheel has enough travel in it that you can get confused as to what paddle is forward and which is reverse with the wheel hard over.

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the old-fashioned throttle for docking. Having said all of that, DRiVE definitely works, and some folks might find it an improvement over traditional controls.

I'm very happy with the boat. There weren't any 222XEs available anywhere when I picked my XD up, so it wasn't an option for me. And the cost delta wasn't that much anyway, so I'd probably still have gone with the XD for the uniqueness of it anyway. But if people are trying to choose between the 222XE and 222XD, the extra few $K associated with DRiVE is worth thinking about.

IMG_6403.jpg

Thanks for this review, very helpful and informative. I’ve been considering trading my 2017 212X for a 222X boat and was debating between the D and E. I was probably leaning away from the D because I didn’t think it would be worth the $$ for me. It’s not insignificant, about $4k from what I recall.. So your review is timely and pretty much cinches for me.

Where did you get your boat? Did you have to order it? My local dealer told me they probably couldn’t get either of the 222X boats this year.

Where did you get your boat? Did you have to order it? My local dealer told me they probably couldn’t get either of the 222X boats this year.
I'm in the Annapolis area. I like the local dealer very much (Beacon Light) on Middle River, but the boat was available in Woodbridge, VA. I'm partial to the Blue / Black color scheme on the 222X boats and felt lucky to have found one within an hour and a half drive. Speaking of the color, the XE and XD look like they are the same in marketing literature, but they are listed as different colors. Not sure what that's about...

I’m with ya 100%. I was in the same situation, looking for a 255XE, but jumped on the 255XD when I could. I feel the same, the Drive system is kind of cool, but I rarely find myself using it, I find it easier to just blip the two throttles when docking. But hey, maybe I’ll get more used to the Drive system at a later date….

Just for kicks, I'm going to make a concerted effort to use it over the next few weeks to see if it'll change my mind.

My opinion the Drive system on my 255XD makes maneuvering especially around the dock very simple. Hands never leave the wheel and the throttle controls I feel are simple to hold a speed or go from neutral and tap for forward or reverse when needed. I have had a few boats in the past all stern drives ,,,the Yamaha is by far the best boat our family has owned.

I did not care for DRIVE at first and seeing how mine took 2 months to get fixed and 10k in labor. I like it now. I do not like the smaller steering wheel. and the fact that yamaha made the steering speed sensitive. I wish the DRIVE in the 222xd and 255xd used the electric servos they put in the 275D this year.

I just purchase the same boat but the XE version haven't had time to drive to the lake yet ,was testing the audio system in the garage when I notice my tower speaker don't turn on , do you know if the engine need to on for the tower ones to turn on?

Dig into the touch screen settings. You can control several zones independently so maybe that zone is turned off.

I opted for the XE for the cost savings and great simplicity. It should make for a more reliable boat long term. I still have single throttle control for cruising, but use the dual throttle whenever I'm docking.

Thx for the above review. I purchased my 222xd 3 weeks ago . I like the drive system/paddles. It has been nice for maneuvering around the dock. I had a single screw outboard before so I have limited experience with 2 engines and working the dual throttles.

Dig into the touch screen settings. You can control several zones independently so maybe that zone is turned off.

I opted for the XE for the cost savings and great simplicity. It should make for a more reliable boat long term. I still have single throttle control for cruising, but use the dual throttle whenever I'm docking.
Yeah....long term reliability of such a system is always a question mark. But, at least we're not getting steering recall notices :)
Can you confirm if (or not) the XE actually has the motor actuated steering? If so, then the only difference would be the paddle controls and remapping of the steering while in dock mode...which is a pretty small difference.

Thx for the above review. I purchased my 222xd 3 weeks ago . I like the drive system/paddles. It has been nice for maneuvering around the dock. I had a single screw outboard before so I have limited experience with 2 engines and working the dual throttles.
I think it works well also... Definitely didn't mean to knock it. Mainly just pointing out that I didn't find it a game changer. Regarding 2 engines, you can go to single lever mode and it'll act just like your single outboard (other than the nuances of a jet drive...)

The XE doesn't have the power steering. I don't have all that extra stuff in the compartment under the helm.

I didn't see many first hand accounts of the DRiVE system from actual owners, so figured I'd provide my impressions after 3 months of usage.

I have the 222XD, so it has both the "Yamaha Drive Control" and DRiVE. My understanding is that the Yamaha Drive Control is just the throttle by wire, and the full DRiVE system combines that with the paddle throttle controls and the steering servo remapping for docking.
1698013550909.png

The brochure shows the throttle by wire and Yamaha Drive Control as two separate functions. I am considering the 222 FSH Sport E, which the brochure states has the throttle by wire AND the Yamaha Drive Control. I'll be darned I cannot find any review of the yamaha drive control system on the 222 FSH Sport "E" model. Do you have any information concerning that function and the 222 FSH Sport E?

Last edited:
I did not care for DRIVE at first and seeing how mine took 2 months to get fixed and 10k in labor. I like it now. I do not like the smaller steering wheel. and the fact that yamaha made the steering speed sensitive. I wish the DRIVE in the 222xd and 255xd used the electric servos they put in the 275D this year.
What kind of problems did you have and how were they fixed? Mine doesn’t work (won’t go into drive mode and also if using no wake mode will trigger a steering fault). So far dealer doesn’t know how to fix and is waiting for Yamaha to send engineers to Canada.

I have a '22 275SD and so far I have had no issues with the DRIVE system.... or anything else..... knock on wood!

I did have some issues with steering and bucket control a couple two months after I bought it and before I put it in the water. Turned out it was the batteries not being fully charged. There was enough voltage to start both motors but the nozzles would not move when turning the wheels and the buckets would not open or close. Once I fully charged the batteries.... disconnected them to reboot the system.... everything worked fine. I have since replace the cheap batteries from the dealer with Duracell Group 27 AGM Marine batteries.

I wish I had waited for the '23 models to come out and the new DRIVE-X system that allows the buckets to nozzles and buckets to move independently to move the boat more like it had a bow thruster. While the DRIVE system is ok.... after about 20 hours on the boat now I find I prefer using the throttles independently for maneuvering around the docks. If there is plenty of space and not much wind, the DRIVE system is fine. But if I'm in a tight space, have winds, etc. I like being able to put one engine forward and one reverse to spin on a tight access or just using one engine to make sharper turns.

I do like the paddles for my wife to maneuver the boat when I am pulling up the anchor. It prevents her from bumping the throttles too far forward or back while I'm standing up at the bow pulling in the anchor.

View attachment 210673

The brochure shows the throttle by wire and Yamaha Drive Control as two separate functions. I am considering the 222 FSH Sport E, which the brochure states has the throttle by wire AND the Yamaha Drive Control. I'll be darned I cannot find any review of the yamaha drive control system on the 222 FSH Sport "E" model. Do you have any information concerning that function and the 222 FSH Sport E?

If I’m not mistaken, the Yamaha Drive Control is the shifting of the buckets, not paddle shifting. I’ve asked several times about this system and haven’t gotten a definitive answer in so far as how it operates compared to the cable driven bucket control. On my boat with its cable driven buckets I have infinitely adjustable amounts of thrust as I can open them to whatever amount I want. To the best of my knowledge with the Yamaha Drive Control it’s more like an outdrive, you are either in idle reverse or idle ahead (TDE) when you move the lever far enough to engage it.

The throttle by wire allows for single lever throttle with auto engine synchronizing, or dual throttle use which is nice for docking and splitting the throttles. And you still have the cruise assist to adjust the throttle, 16 increments, 8 steps down and 8 steps up from your original set point with the cruise assist rocker switch.

If I’m not mistaken, the Yamaha Drive Control is the shifting of the buckets, not paddle shifting. I’ve asked several times about this system and haven’t gotten a definitive answer in so far as how it operates compared to the cable driven bucket control. On my boat with its cable driven buckets I have infinitely adjustable amounts of thrust as I can open them to whatever amount I want. To the best of my knowledge with the Yamaha Drive Control it’s more like an outdrive, you are either in idle reverse or idle ahead (TDE) when you move the lever far enough to engage it.

The throttle by wire allows for single lever throttle with auto engine synchronizing, or dual throttle use which is nice for docking and splitting the throttles. And you still have the cruise assist to adjust the throttle, 16 increments, 8 steps down and 8 steps up from your original set point with the cruise assist rocker switch.

I'll take a stab at answering your question.....

First...... to enable DRIVE the controls are placed in Neutral and an icon on the Connext display is depressed to enable DRIVE. At that point the RPM's are limited to 3000 RPM max. The left paddle lowers the buckets for reverse operation. The right paddle raises the buckets for forward operation. The more you squeeze the paddle, the higher the RPM. So the DRIVE mode is controlling the buckets as well as engine RPM's

Under the helm is the shift (forward / reverse) motors control unit. It houses the motors that move the buckets open and closed. There are cables that run from the control unit to each of the buckets. A wiring harness plugs into the control unit in order to get the signals from the Thottle-by-Wire control to activate the motors to move the buckets open or closed. When using the paddles in DRIVE, the buckets are either opened to TDE when the right paddle is used or fully closed when the left paddle is used and neutral otherwise.

Now this is the way the original DRIVE system works.... but DRIVEX works differently since it can control the nozzle direction independently.

Otherwise the throttle-by-wire works as you described in single throttle or running mode and the power steering is a little like the motorized bucket control except that the steering is controlled by a hydraulic system the is moving the buckets left or right through the electric signals sent via the steering wheel.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at answering your question.....

First...... to enable DRIVE the controls are placed in Neutral and an icon on the Connext display is depressed to enable DRIVE. At that point the RPM's are limited to 3000 RPM max. The left paddle lowers the buckets for reverse operation. The right paddle raises the buckets for forward operation. The more you squeeze the paddle, the higher the RPM. So the DRIVE mode is controlling the buckets as well as engine RPM's

Under the helm is the shift (forward / reverse) motors control unit. It houses the motors that move the buckets open and closed. There are cables that run from the control unit to each of the buckets. A wiring harness plugs into the control unit in order to get the signals from the Thottle-by-Wire control to activate the motors to move the buckets open or closed. When using the paddles in DRIVE, the buckets are either opened to TDE when the right paddle is used or fully closed when the left paddle is used and neutral otherwise.

Now this is the way the original DRIVE system works.... but DRIVEX works differently since it can control the nozzle direction independently.

Otherwise the throttle-by-wire works as you described in single throttle or running mode and the power steering is a little like the motorized bucket control except that the steering is controlled by a hydraulic system the is moving the buckets left or right through the electric signals sent via the steering wheel.

When I’m trolling, with or without the electric trolling motor, I feather the buckets to get just the right amount of thrust I want / need for the speed I want or the amount of “help” I’m giving the troller to keep the prop speed down on it, either for faster trolling speed or to help when there is high winds. Everything else is great, but not being able to adjust the forward thrust like I can now is the problem. And that is the issue for me and my main focus fishing. I’d love to have the single lever throttle and such for when I’m cruising, but as I just said, having that infinitely adjustable thrust is not something I’m willing to give up. I love the 255 FSH Sport E, OMG’dah what a freaking sexy beast! But, if I was going to upgrade to a 25’ FSH I‘d go with the 252 FSH, mainly for the manually controlled buckets, but the better mpg (maybe even better with the new 1.9L engines as well as power) and 86 octane requirement, and, I’d probably want to install a Humminbird Apex MFD and the new brushless Minnkota trolling motor.

When I’m trolling, with or without the electric trolling motor, I feather the buckets to get just the right amount of thrust I want / need for the speed I want or the amount of “help” I’m giving the troller to keep the prop speed down on it, either for faster trolling speed or to help when there is high winds. Everything else is great, but not being able to adjust the forward thrust like I can now is the problem. And that is the issue for me and my main focus fishing. I’d love to have the single lever throttle and such for when I’m cruising, but as I just said, having that infinitely adjustable thrust is not something I’m willing to give up. I love the 255 FSH Sport E, OMG’dah what a freaking sexy beast! But, if I was going to upgrade to a 25’ FSH I‘d go with the 252 FSH, mainly for the manually controlled buckets, but the better mpg (maybe even better with the new 1.9L engines as well as power) and 86 octane requirement, and, I’d probably want to install a Humminbird Apex MFD and the new brushless Minnkota trolling motor.

I still have the ability to control my buckets independently and use single throttle when crusing and dual throttle when docking.

The electronically controlled buckets do add another failure poing but I can’t tell any major need difference in bucket control in single or dual throttle mode compared to my old SX192 with the cable attached to the throttle.

View attachment 210673

Yamaha really seems to want to confuse us with this terminology. On my 2023 222XD, it is listed as having Yamaha Drive Control and DRiVE. The boat itself has throttle by wire, steering by wire, with the paddle system on the side of the steering wheel, and the speed control system that is engaged and set by hard button controls to the left of the steering wheel. The steering wheel itself outputs an electronic signal that feeds a hydraulic servo pump in front of the cockpit bulkhead that ultimately controls the steering of the jet buckets. When DRiVE mode is engaged, it re-maps the steering wheel so that a quarter turn of the wheel moves the buckets full scale. The paddles control throttle with the left paddle providing throttle at forward thrust and the right paddle providing reverse thrust when in DRiVE.

The brochure that you posted above suggests to me that it doesn't have the paddles and the electronic / hydraulic steering. The combination of Yamaha Drive Control and throttle by wire sounds like it has the electronic throttle control and the ability to engage no-wake modes, etc using the Yamaha Drive Control controller. Yamaha Drive Control is a term that they use across boats and waverunners for electronic throttle no-wake modes and the ability to hold and bump up or down speeds when going slowly.

I put around 70 hours on my boat this season in a variety of conditions and my opinion of DRiVE hasn't changed. There hasn't been a situation yet where I think it's helpful. It works as advertised, but for me, I much prefer using the throttle quadrant and having a normally mapped steering wheel.

As noted above, Yamaha drive control is really just Yamaha's marketing term for their cruise control modes, though it's certainly understandable how this gets confusing. With regards to the throttle by wire though, the buckets work the same as with your cable system. It's just electronically actuated instead of cable actuated. It's true that while in the cruise assist mode you have finite resolution, when using the throttle quadrant (or the paddles for that matter), it's the same amount of control as with a cable.

DriveX was also mentioned above. That's yet another entirely different kettle of fish. That uses paddles, but also side thrusters. Hard for me to imagine really needing that.

I love my 222XD, and like the general responsiveness and control of the electronic throttle and steering... But side thrusters on a boat of this size just seems unnecessary. I have to maneuver in tight quarters on a regular basis in all sorts of weather conditions and other than using single throttle mode, I don't use any of the other stuff.

Back