• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dry Tortugas National Park/ Key West

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Have any of y’all made the run from Key West to Fort Jefferson (Dry Tortugas National Park) on your Jet Boat? It is roughly
70 miles, one way.

I am trying to plan a trip with my lady, for when I return from the deployment I am currently on, in mid February. The only thing I can think about is finding a destination warm enough and getting our boat into the water. Can anyone provide some insight? Thank you in advance!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is no way I would attempt this in a jet boat without extra fuel and a lot of it at that. There is no fuel in the tortugas. People run out of fuel going to Bimini and it’s only 55ish miles. The sea are definitely not as bad in the gulf most of the time. But it something Unexpected cooked up you would be screwed.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is something I would be very worried about. 140 miles is quite a run without gas stops between. I don’t believe I am experienced enough to attempt this trip at all; much less alone. Plus losing contact with USCG would worry me too. Just curious if it had been done or if it is definetely a NO GO for our boats.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would say no go. But there is plenty of great boating in the Keys.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you had a fuel bladder you could do it. It would take some serious planning though. A buddy boat would be a must.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have looked at this trip several times over and really have ruled it out. Could it be done yes but there were to many variables to make me try it. With having to do this with no refuel and unsure how many extra miles I would add to the base 140 miles at my best guess I would need to carry a minimum of an extra 50 gallons just to feel safe. I then would know if I started to run out I should have close to enough to get back to where I started. I think @1948Isaac did this in his old ar192 but not 100% sure he did.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have friends that make the run and I want to do this. I want a larger boat and to do 5-7 days but need a lot of fuel to do spearfishing and rod and reel along with the weight of food tents water to wash off. It’s an awesome trip though from what my friend has showen me. They go with two boat and 150 extra gallons in bladders but do a lot of running during their stay.

Even with my boat I would want an extra 50, and I did my Bimini trip last year without refueling. I came back with 20 gallons leftover from my 95 gallon tank.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@1948Isaac has. He has videos posted of the run.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you for the insight gents. I also appreciate the link to Isaac’s video, I am sold on the keys, not so much making a run to the Dry Tortugas. Maybe I will save that trip for another time. Thanks again!

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I watched the video but I didn't see Dry Tortuga on there at all. Need to check with @1948Isaac to see if he did make it to Dry Tortuga. We are trying to plan a trip down that way as soon as the water warms back up a bit. My neighbor has a 42' footer that he keeps in Key Largo and we have discussed going when he goes. Just waiting impatiently on the wife to get finished with school.

nofd843

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I guess one question, being new to the longer distance in a motor boat (had a sailboat) what is the typical range most of y'all are getting out of a tank of fuel? Granted winds, waves and such have a great impact.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I guess one question, being new to the longer distance in a motor boat (had a sailboat) what is the typical range most of y'all are getting out of a tank of fuel? Granted winds, waves and such have a great impact.
Depends on boat, engines, load etc.
My boat is most likely one of the most efficient and i made it to bimini with 50% tank left. That was with 2 adults 3 kids and clothes and supplies for a week and 15 gallons on the back deck. It was also nearly ideal conditions.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When we crossed to Bimini in 2018, roughly 50 miles in ideal conditions, I burned 38 Gallons with the 242. Although not great, I still find it to be very efficient compared to my former AR192, which would burn 25 gallons every day I went to the lake. The supercharger loved to drink gas.

When planning, make sure you can maintain ideal speed and I use 1 MPG as a good reference to ensure I don't need a tow (unless you have a supercharger). If you have the 210 FSH, you should see better fuel economy just because of weight alone, not to mention the bimini top has much less drag than the E-series. However, a day of trolling will burn more fuel over a shorter distance, so keep that in mind as well. Hopefully that helps??"

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I made this run last Aug.
Was alright. The Park Rangers really ruined the mood for me though.
They reminded me of the Nazi Park Rangers in Yellowstone NP one trip on snowmobiles.
Had intended on staying 2-3 nights, but only stayed one.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I made this run last Aug.
Was alright. The Park Rangers really ruined the mood for me though.
They reminded me of the Nazi Park Rangers in Yellowstone NP one trip on snowmobiles.
Had intended on staying 2-3 nights, but only stayed one.
What did they do?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last week I got stopped in Yellowstone by one. I was totally wrong and admitted it to him. He let me go.
Dry Tortugas I have been there by plane and I know you can’t fish or do anything else basically near the island or in the park.
Did you stop in the Marquesas on your way out there?image.jpg

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thinking of doing trip in November. Poker run is then and big boat motor is shot so not going but have the time.