• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Eliminate the safety spout on new gas cans

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use this when I need to fuel my boat...it's a shelf priming siphon hose and works really well. Just stick the brass end in your portable fuel tank and the other end in your boat receptacle. Jiggle the end that's in your portable tank up and down a couple of times and the gas will begin to flow into the boat gas tank. I think I picked mine up at Bass Pro several years ago. Empties the a 5 gallon tank in about 3 minutes.

upload_2015-1-15_7-8-57.png

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use this when I need to fuel my boat...it's a shelf priming siphon hose and works really well. Just stick the brass end in your portable fuel tank and the other end in your boat receptacle. Jiggle the end that's in your portable tank up and down a couple of times and the gas will begin to flow into the boat gas tank. I think I picked mine up at Bass Pro several years ago. Empties the a 5 gallon tank in about 3 minutes.

View attachment 16096
Awesome...2 fer 20 on amazon. THANKS!

http://smile.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-Hose-Pack/dp/B000ZORJ1E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421349457&sr=8-5

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been using the the push button no spill for the past few years and they work very well.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414881281&sr=8-4&keywords=gas can push

They are a little expensive but I have spilled a lot less gas. Works great for lawnmowers

I even put ten gallons into the boat through a long hose while we were running 30 MPH last year on the river coming back from Peoria.

View attachment 14320

While I can't say I used them at 3omph, I have as similar setup with a pushbutton spout and they are AWESOME. . . . Never spill a drop, and they are great for on-water fueling.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 16096
I have this as well $9 at the boat deal and about $8 at places like Northern. I did take the guts out of my spout which worked well but this keeps me from having to hold it. The only problem I have now is really being alert when the tank gets full to stop the gas! I have not had success doing this without some gas spill.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@rkluck ... yep, you do have to be careful with not over-filling for sure. I try and listen as it's going in to try and pick up when it's getting close. I usually never fill it completely full but try and keep it as close as I can. It sure beats having to pour those 5 gallon tanks in for sure!!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkluck ... yep, you do have to be careful with not over-filling for sure. I try and listen as it's going in to try and pick up when it's getting close. I usually never fill it completely full but try and keep it as close as I can. It sure beats having to pour those 5 gallon tanks in for sure!!
X2

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 16096
I bought one of these years ago and finally got around to using it last weekend, I was skeptical, I'm usually not satisfied until I'm spitting out a mouthful of gasoline,

This worked as advertised, GREAT !!! put it in the can, a couple of jiggles and your siphoning, emptied two five gallons cans into the boat with little effort or mess,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bought one of these years ago and finally got around to using it last weekend, I was skeptical, I'm usually not satisfied until I'm spitting out a mouthful of gasoline,

This worked as advertised, GREAT !!! put it in the can, a couple of jiggles and your siphoning, emptied two five gallons cans into the boat with little effort or mess,

I think you should get a few points for the oldest "dust off" I have seen in years, lol. Nice!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought the EZ pours several years ago and put them on a couple of 6 gallon cans I bought at fleet farm. They fit the cans perfectly and work great for filling the boat. There are several different thread types and cap sizes for gas cans. Making sure you have the right fit is important. The EZ pour comes with a few different size caps and threads.

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got sick of all the new idiotic spouts and bought the VP racing fuel cans. Just a non-restrictive nozel and a vent. Super simple like they used to be. Plus, they hold five and a half gallons. I realize they are not " technically" legal, but no one has ever given me grief about them.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The best gas cans you can get are made of steel… I do not think you can source the old jerry cans, maybe you can, what you can source these days are the steel NATO cans and the steel nozzle. Gas stored in steel cans does not let the lighter ends evaporate off. I loved the old steel jerry cans, super safe to carry fuel with.

But, as @h2oskierfl95 stated, I have the VP gas cans, very strong, super simple, and they don’t leak. If they leak on you, you are doing something wrong. For how I use them I can leave the dispensing hose on, but if you get yourself extra caps you can just have the one dispensing hose / cap for all of your cans, and when you are storing or transporting the cans just have the cap on without the dispensing hose, makes for a lot lower profile. For fueling on the water, you can just get a longer piece of pvc hose to make a long fueling hose from the vp can so you can stand up and back from the fill cap on the boat.

The thing with filling fuel cans in the back of a truck is that the truck is sitting on rubber tires and will be at a different potential from the pump / fill spout and the ground. By putting the cans on the ground, the cans are then at the same potential as the fill spout, this greatly eliminates the risk of a spark. Its the same with your car’s gas tank.. so the logic does’t hold to me for putting cans on the ground. If you have your hand on the metal of the pump fill spout and touch your car or cans first before getting the spout near to the tank or cans you will greatly reduce the chance of a spark as you become the conductor to ground your car/cans to the pump handle / spout. I just touch the fill spout to the side of the cans first to put them at the same potential, and, this is where things can go awry, keep the metal fill spout in constant contact with the plastic or metal gas can at all times during the fuel process, this keeps static electricity from building up between the two.

When they fuel aircraft the first thing that happens is a ground wire is connected to the aircraft and to the tie down hook or dedicated ground point before the fuel hose is ever pulled off of the truck, or in the case of hydrant style fuel systems the pump bogie.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got sick of all the new idiotic spouts and bought the VP racing fuel cans. Just a non-restrictive nozel and a vent. Super simple like they used to be. Plus, they hold five and a half gallons. I realize they are not " technically" legal, but no one has ever given me grief about them.
The cans are “utility” jugs, so no they are not technically legal, but neither is fueling your boat on the water.