• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Emmer effer got me!!!

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Went out on Sunday (sunny, 80F, low wind) with a buddy of mine from high school who has been around boats his entire life (grand parents owned a sail boat and he owned a 18' Wellcraft for a few years) and sucked the stern dock line into the port side engine. My girlfriend and I who are on the boat together 95% of the time have a system that has prevented this from happening the previous 5 years but I neglected to check that both dock lines were secure this time around.

As we picked up speed it was blown into the water and was trailing out behind the boat. We ran like this for about 30 minutes (in a straight line) but when I slowed down /circled as we got to the cove in Norwegian Bay my port side engine cut out. On Saturday I spliced into the port side fuel pump for the DVSR mod so my initial reaction was the perhaps one of the electrical connections had come loose. We dropped the bow anchor and I walked the stern anchor out and set it. On my way back to the stern I saw that the dock line was still attached to the cleat and it was running under the side of the boat - tight as a guitar string......ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!

Luckily, I was prepared for this and had a utility knife with a couple of different attachments. I pulled the clean out plug and started cutting. After a few swipes my buddy was able to pull about half the dock line out of the water intake and I felt that I was in good shape.....WRONG!! While I could get my hands on most of the remaining dock line it was wrapped in knots around the impeller shaft and I couldn't get a good enough grip to loosen them. I tried my utility knife with the hook tip on it but there was not enough room to maneuver it with any type of leverage.

I decided to pinch off the water line on the port engine and head back to Skipper Buds (about 10 miles or so?) where I dock my boat. As I throttled up the starboard engine I discovered that I couldn't get on plane and it wasn't much faster than the 5mph no-wake setting which was going to take me a long time to get back to the dock - if I didn't run out of gas first. Jeff (@drewkaree) has an "estate" about 1/2 mile from Norwegian Bay and I called him to see if he was out and about but he was not. He did call his neighbor who was just heading out on his pontoon and we headed that way. Once we got alongside the neighbors boat (Bill) he asked if I needed tools and I told him that I needed to get the boat out of the water to proceed any further. I told him that I had hoped that Jeff was up this weekend and I was going to beg him for a car ride back to Skipper Bud's so I could grab my truck/trailer and come get the boat. Jeff has a unique feature right next to his cottage - a single lane public boat launch that doesn't appear to get used much except for those that live in the neighborhood. One of the guys on Bill's pontoon offered us his F150 for the trip without knowing me in the slightest which I gratefully accepted. We docked at Bill's pier and headed out to pick up my truck/trailer. It took awhile but I was able to get my boat on the trailer and back to Skipper Bud's. Once I was able to get under the boat I was able to clear the remaining two pieces of dock line in about 60 seconds. I ran the port engine for about 5 seconds and it appeared to be fine - crisis averted.

An observation and some questions:

Observation: Jeff went above and beyond to help out even though he was not at his cottage - I don't know how this would have turned out if he had not been able to contact his neighbor. Bill's guest on the pontoon (I didn't get his name) borrowed his truck to me without any hesitation and I had never met him before - I hardly knew Bill. This says a lot about the people that live in the area and how much they trust Jeff. I will make sure to pay this forward in the future for anyone in a similar situation - good people.

Question1: I've seen posts where some people keep a swim mask in the boat to go underneath to clear this type of obstruction. This gives me the heebie-jeebies and I guess it would depend on how clear/deep the water is. Anyone have experience clearing a dock/tow line from under the boat while it's still in the water?

Question 2: Is there a better option than a standard utility knife to maneuver inside the water intake when accessing from the clean out port?

Question 3: For those that have operated a 24' boat on a single engine were you able to get it on plane? If yes, what speeds were you able to achieve?

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like this could have been a lot worse.

To answer your questions:

1 - I've never tried the swim mask, but can't be easy since you probably could only manage max 30 secs of cutting at a time

2 - I use a utility knife, not aware of better options. Tried a hunting knife but it wasn't better

3 - I couldn't get my 212X on plane either.

How big diameter was your dock line? I had the same problem with mine a few years ago (5/8s line) and when I cut it off from underneath (on shore) everything seemed good but I later found out the plastic shaft seal was damaged and the boat was taking on water. I was wet slipping so this was a major problem.

You might want to check yours to make sure...

Gap22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have sucked up a rope one time. First thing I did was cut it off the cleat. That gave me enough slack to remove the rope with a pocket knife.

Just pure negligence on my part but I was a total newbie.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like this could have been a lot worse.
Agreed.

How big diameter was your dock line? I had the same problem with mine a few years ago (5/8s line) and when I cut it off from underneath (on shore) everything seemed good but I later found out the plastic shaft seal was damaged and the boat was taking on water. I was wet slipping so this was a major problem.

You might want to check yours to make sure...
Dock line is 3/8".

I was going to get check under the boat yesterday where the shaft comes through the hull to see if there was any damage but forgot - will do that this weekend before heading out.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have sucked up a rope one time. First thing I did was cut it off the cleat. That gave me enough slack to remove the rope with a pocket knife.
When I cut through the line that was wrapped around the shaft from the clean out port we were able to pull the dock line that was still attached to the cleat out but only about 10' of the 20' length. The remaining pieces were knotted around the shaft where I couldn't get my utility knife. :-/

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
keep a serrated steak knife on board they reach in deep

1717617212897.png

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Regarding #2 - I sucked up enough milfoil on the Madison WI chain a few summers ago that I got overheat alarms. I tried through the cleanouts but it took me an hour and I wasn't even close to being done. I put on my daughter's pink sparkle goggles and a life vest and went under the boat. The grates are right there - within three quick dives (and a matter of minutes) the entire drive system on both pumps were clear. Had I used the cleanout ports only, I'd probably still be out there.

I agree with you on the fear of going under - and to further that with it being a choppy day, I didn't want the boat to smack me in the head while I was under it and knock me out - hence the life jacket. Hell, I even put a life jacket on when putting the wake booster on now - cheap insurance!

Glad to read that you had some nice sconnies to help you out!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
#3.... do not run engines greater than no wake mode on single engine - you could flood the other.

A mask isn't a horrible idea and could work.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
keep a serrated steak knife on board they reach in deep

View attachment 221326
It was actually knots closer to the clean out port that I couldn't get a good angle on. Sounds weird but I just couldn't get the knife angled properly.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
#3.... do not run engines greater than no wake mode on single engine - you could flood the other.

A mask isn't a horrible idea and could work.
I pinched off the water line with a vise-grip.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not have personal experience cutting lines off of the impeller shaft but I have seen it done with a serrated edge folding knife.

I keep a stainless knife with a hawkbill blade and a marlin spike on the boat. Not this S&W but something similar. I have used the marlin spike to loosen knots. Fortunately I have not needed the blade. I carry a partially serrated folding knife in my pocket all the time. I have had cheap versions on the boat but gave the last one to a friend who had a rope in his pump.
1717618105101.png

A trick that I have heard of but have not tried is removing the spark plugs so that the the impeller and engine can be rotated backwards to unwind the rope.

As for getting on plane my SX230 can get on plane with one engine with trim tabs. Without trim tabs it would not get there. You might be able to put the lightest person at the helm then send everyone esle to the bow to get her on plane. Once on plane the crew should be able to reposition.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding #2 - I sucked up enough milfoil on the Madison WI chain a few summers ago that I got overheat alarms. I tried through the cleanouts but it took me an hour and I wasn't even close to being done. I put on my daughter's pink sparkle goggles and a life vest and went under the boat. The grates are right there - within three quick dives (and a matter of minutes) the entire drive system on both pumps were clear. Had I used the cleanout ports only, I'd probably still be out there.

I agree with you on the fear of going under - and to further that with it being a choppy day, I didn't want the boat to smack me in the head while I was under it and knock me out - hence the life jacket. Hell, I even put a life jacket on when putting the wake booster on now - cheap insurance!

Glad to read that you had some nice sconnies to help you out!
How deep of water were you in? Did it get sketchy at all?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have trim tabs and have planed on one engine, ended up getting maybe 15MPH at 90% power. The engines don't use much fuel when going slow. you can travel a great distance at 5 mph. same or longer than at planning speed.

With the grates under the boat intake there is very little I think you can do from below. My SeaDoo Sportster 1800 had a feature you could open the grate with a cable from the inside. I got in the water many a times to clear that one, and had moments of panic thinking I better not get my hand stuck in here. But luckily all good.

You are probably better off with longer/shorter knife/blades,razor, etc, etc, whatever you think would have cleared it.

In HINDSIGHT....
Also, maybe could not plane, but you could still power it up and idle or slightly higher speed (assuming all you cut let you still spin the motor) and you would still have gained propulsion and speed from that engine, even at no wake speed, and you would not have needed to pinch the line.

If you can think of what cutting tools could have helped, and load up on those, share what you think would help with us. Best of Luck!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Question1: I've seen posts where some people keep a swim mask in the boat to go underneath to clear this type of obstruction. This gives me the heebie-jeebies and I guess it would depend on how clear/deep the water is. Anyone have experience clearing a dock/tow line from under the boat while it's still in the water?

Question 2: Is there a better option than a standard utility knife to maneuver inside the water intake when accessing from the clean out port?

Question 3: For those that have operated a 24' boat on a single engine were you able to get it on plane? If yes, what speeds were you able to achieve?
Glad to hear that people, here a near stranger and a stranger stepped up to help you out. Angels still exist.

in response to your questions:

1. I don’t carry a diving mask but do have some swim goggles on board for my tube riders that complain about spray. I’ve used them to clear the intake grates before but if the water is already cloudy they are more of a hassle than help. If the water is shallow there is no need to dive under the boat, just sit on the bottom or on your knees and reach into the intake grate. If you have to go under the boat, use one hand to keep you from banging your head against the hull.

2. I use a utility knife with a curved/ hooked blade similar to the one pictured. I’ve attached a bungee band to it in case I drop it while using it. A float for it is the next upgrade. One thing I do first is to cut the line 5’ to 10’ from the intake grate. This sometimes gives me the option to de knot the portion in the pump.

3. I cannot get on plane with one engine. I had a timing chain break on me on the water roughly 10 miles from where I launched and one of my impellers threw a blade 40 miles from where I launched so unfortunately I have experience running on one engine. In both cases I could not get my 252 on plane. I did what you did. That is, made my way to the nearest boat ramp at no wake speed and got a ride back to my tow vehicle and trailer before driving the same to the ramp the boat was at. In one instance I called and used Uber while my wife sat in the boat at anchor. In the other instance I called my wife (no Ubers were available) who drove out to take us to our launch ramp.

Stuff happens at least there is no permanent damage.IMG_5910.png

Last edited:

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hand me my life jacket is the most important part of this thread. No more jets for me but any time I head to the aft to do anything under water I always put it on. Most boater realize what goes around comes around and are typically fine with helping.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This knife is what I have in addition to my utility knife and pocket knife

IMG_5861.png

I also keep a mask, snorkel, and fins on my boat.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dan had a nightmare drive back to Port at 5mph. I had told my wife that if we were at the lake house, this would have been fixed in a third of the time it would have taken him to get back to port at 5mph. Timing is everything though, and I had 2 other calls to make if my neighbor wasn't home. Didn't we joke about towing in the area? 😄 FriendInNeedTowing LLC!

That's a 1+ hour drive when you can open it up to full throttle, I'm guessing it was a 2-3 hour jaunt at reduced speed.

I have the hawksbill Milwaukee knife @FSH 210 Sport showed, and that has saved my bacon for weeds, but no rope so far. Not a great fan of the steak knife, as I have to consider dealing with it when I have the grandkids, but that's definitely a good idea if someone is comfortable with it. On the Milwaukee knife, Throw a lanyard through it for WHEN, not if, you drop it!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How deep of water were you in? Did it get sketchy at all?
I was in probably 20+ and no, once I got under it was quick and easy. Life vest gave me some confidence that if I got knocked out someone could pull me out :)

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dan had a nightmare drive back to Port at 5mph. I had told my wife that if we were at the lake house, this would have been fixed in a third of the time it would have taken him to get back to port at 5mph. Timing is everything though, and I had 2 other calls to make if my neighbor wasn't home. Didn't we joke about towing in the area? 😄 FriendInNeedTowing LLC!

That's a 1+ hour drive when you can open it up to full throttle, I'm guessing it was a 2-3 hour jaunt at reduced speed.

I have the hawksbill Milwaukee knife @FSH 210 Sport showed, and that has saved my bacon for weeds, but no rope so far. Not a great fan of the steak knife, as I have to consider dealing with it when I have the grandkids, but that's definitely a good idea if someone is comfortable with it. On the Milwaukee knife, Throw a lanyard through it for WHEN, not if, you drop it!
I believe I referenced "drewkareetowing.com" to be exact....... :)

I think the gas tank was at about 60% and I had no idea what my mileage would be at the 5mph'ish no wake speed. If I could have made it to one of the gas docks by Fin and Feather before they closed I may have tried it but having my blood pressure that high for 2-3 hours may have just killed me....

I have a similar blade on my utility knife and that's what I used to get the first piece off but it was too large to maneuver in the clean out port well to get the remaining two pieces. I also have a "hook" blade that is smaller but I couldn't get that angle correct either. :-/

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could cut a garden hose to about 6' and worm clamp it to a snorkel. You could basically stay under as long as you want. You'd have to have someone guard the hose though. Hopefully not angry wife.