• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won't go above 5200 rpms

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR195 the won't go above 5200 RPMS/ 24 MPH. last trip I was out on the water fishing and on the way back it was stuck at 5200 rpm 10-12 mph. I brought it home changed the spark plugs and oil then took it out for a test run. Now I'm up to 24 MPG but still stuck at 5200 RPMS. I checked the supercharger, and it only spins in one direction. I don't have a check engine light or any notifications. I checked the intake grate- nothing stuck, checked the bucket- opens all the way. the boat doesn't have any performance mods. I'm stumped......... Please Help! Thank you in advance.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long have you owned it ?
When was the last time it ran correctly?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yakes.........I love Superchargers but Thay add to the complexly of an all ready complex engine. Chargers add air pressure for more power and need more fuel...........both of these can cause low power..................Super chargers have boost bypass valve to bleed off pressure when de acceleration occurs as not to create a vacuum this valve has a spring in it and can malfunction causing a (boost leak) Second and high on my list of problems is the TPS Throttle Position Sensor and last fuel pump pressure(not enough fuel)

Hope this helps a little

TPS and fuel pump would be my first look both can be tested.

Last edited:

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long have you owned it ?
When was the last time it ran correctly?
I’ve owned it since 2020. It ran fine when I took it out fishing, then on the way back I had the issue. Before that I hadn’t had it out for a few months

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
will go it above 5200rpm on the hose ?

I don't have an answer but what David martion says sounds like a good direction,

do you have a yds unit to look at the engine data ? if not it may be worth getting one or going to a jetski shop and have them read it

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
will go it above 5200rpm on the hose ?

I don't have an answer but what David martion says sounds like a good direction,

do you have a yds unit to look at the engine data ? if not it may be worth getting one or going to a jetski shop and have them read it
Yes it will go past 5200 on the hose

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like at least one of the cylinders is not putting out power. Have you checked that all of the coils are working/all of the plugs are producing a spark?

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replaced the all the spark plugs but not the coils

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW will pull higher than 5200 on hose..........does not like a load. I like the one cyl not function properly...........This also is easer problem to find if its not related to the supercharger The testing just got easer......... First remove Plugs and see what they tell you a bad coil, bad fuel injector the plug will tell you if your are getting close. ......second a compression test on cylinders this will remove any doubt the valves or rings are involved. IF plugs and compression look good that will steer you away from coil,fuel injector,valves and rings.

Process of elimination......now you are back to TPS, fuel pressure, boost leak. A pressure check on the fuel pump is fairly easy with a pressure gage and the fuel injector,and coils are easy with a volt meter.

Good luck

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have access to a Service Manual..........if not you can down load one for your engine on line. Without the old plugs to read you will need to test the Ignition coils...... EMC to coil out put voltage, and even the Pick up coil voltage output.

Odds are only one coil would be bad ............4 coils can be weak at a time due to a pickup coil malfunction or an EMC computer problem.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you inspected your pump/impeller and clean out plug?
When you throttle to full max, do you hear cavitation?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know the OP said the SC doesn’t turn backwards, BUT, this has all the hallmarks of a bad SC’s Sprauge clutch OR, one of the hoses connected the SC or the intercooler has come loose. Did you check to make sure all of the hoses are connected properly and not popped off just slightly?

Before diving into a lot of electrical stuff, and spending a boat load of money, I’d verify that you are getting the boost out of the SC first. If it was a bad cylinder or something there would be a bad enough miss at 5200 rpm that there would be a vibration.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m a shade tree mechanic, some would say wanna be at that, but isn’t checking the coils as easy as pulling a plug and attached coil out one assembly at a time and cranking the engine to see if they produce a spark?

A year or so ago my mobile mechanic verified I had the wrong replacement coil with a multi meter but reminded me that just because a coil checks out on a meter that it still may not allow the related plug to fire, the lead to the coil maybe disconnected / broken up stream, so visually verifying the assembly is producing a spark is recommended if not initially as a supplement to meter verification.

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m a shade tree mechanic, some would say wanna be at that, but isn’t checking the coils as easy as pulling a plug and attached coil out one assembly at a time and cranking the engine to see if they produce a spark?

A year or so ago my mobile mechanic verified I had the wrong replacement coil with a multi meter but reminded me that just because a coil checks out on a meter that it still may not allow the related plug to fire, the lead to the coil maybe disconnected / broken up stream, so visually verifying the assembly is producing a spark is recommended if not initially as a supplement to meter verification.
To be on the safe side I just ordered a new set of coils on Amazon and they should be here on Monday

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow that can be expensive. Make sure they sell you the right/working coils when you get them. Switch them out with the good engine’s coils either one at a time or all at once. I bought a coil off Amazon once, 25% off the dealer price. It Ended up being the wrong one/wrong spec so the spark plug attached to it did not spark. That was a$150ish lesson.

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow that can be expensive. Make sure they sell you the right/working coils when you get them. Switch them out with the good engine’s coils either one at a time or all at once. I bought a coil off Amazon once, 25% off the dealer price. It Ended up being the wrong one/wrong spec so the spark plug attached to it did not spark. That was a$150ish lesson.
Thanks for the advice I’ll keep you updated

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Honestly I don’t know what cavitation sounds like
Have you ever driven a standard transmission car, when the clutch starts to slip? Cavitation lets the engine rev, without any feeling of power increasing and accelerating the boat.

newman1986

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you ever driven a standard transmission car, when the clutch starts to slip? Cavitation lets the engine rev, without any feeling of power increasing and accelerating the boat.
I would say in reverse def feels like that but I haven’t driven it that much this year to really say

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length