• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

EPNOC Grease

OK, stupid question. Where can I buy the manual?
Your local Yamaha dealer should be able to order it for you. It’s been a while since I got mine but I think it was about $70

ok thanks. So the 518 has nothing to do with the cone.

the 518 is for metal to metal flange around the 6" opening for example.

I do have a manual and dont remember that 518, will need to look.
That has always been a dry metal to metal connection for me the many times I have taken it apart and reassembled.
Same here.
Those Yamaha manuals are great, aren't they? Not many other brands have those comprehensive, all-inclusive, manuals available as there are often multiple manufacturers involved for hull, power etc.

Anyway - I also stopped using anything between the segments, I used to use the blue RV-type silicone, but I don;t think it is necessary.

Same here.
Those Yamaha manuals are great, aren't they? Not many other brands have those comprehensive, all-inclusive, manuals available as there are often multiple manufacturers involved for hull, power etc.

Anyway - I also stopped using anything between the segments, I used to use the blue RV-type silicone, but I don;t think it is necessary.

Yamaha Manual Store This is the site I used, ordered both manuals. Took about a week or so to get them in the mail.
Good to hear others didn't use the sealant between the segments, I need to pull my pumps and grease the bearings and was debating if I was going to use the sealant or not. Although for mine it says to only fill the cone to 1/3 full, seems odd based on what else I've seen here and online. Are the 230's different pumps then the 210's?

Last edited:
Is there an alternative to epnoc that can be used in the cones?

Some have switched to oil bath or used the formula that island racing sells. Pretty sure they’re a vendor on here

Get a good wheel bearing grease usually #2 then cut it with a good gear lube. I personally ise the lucas red and tacky or belray syn grease then mix mobile 1 syn gear lube to it. You want it at room temp to barely not run. It should just cling to a vertical surface and stay in place or run extremely slow. This way when the pump heats up under use the grease will thin out, run down and keep the bearings lubricated. I personally think the oem stuff is too thick. It just builds up in the cone and stays there.

why not just make it with a good #2 grease and gear lube? the yamaha stuff is too thick anyway.

I've read many posts and some mention that the gear lube and grease can be incompatible. I have plenty of Lucas Marine Grease, which is a NLGI 2. I am extremely tempted to mix that with some full synthetic gear lube and call it good. Would you be comfortable doing so?

Thanks again for the response!

i dont know who ever said they arent compatible. they are perfectly compatible. thats all i have ever used. the big dealership down the street, that all they every use on 100's of skis every year. all the independent waverunner mechanics i know all use the mix as well. as a matter of fact i know no one that uses the off the shelf yamaha stuff. i use lucas red mixed with mobile 1 gear lube. make it so at room temp it barely stays on a vertical surface or very slightly/slowly sags down. i feel way better using my mix than the yamaha stuff. theirs is too thick. you can clearly see when you remove the cone it doesnt run down to the bearings. all the grease is packed up in the cone doing nothing.

Does the weight of the gear oil matter much?
I can actually get this today: https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...40-full-synthetic-gear-oil-1-quart/977483_0_0

Here's a link where it is mentioned to be incompatible.

im sure thats fine. you just need a good one that will thin out the grease. believe me you will have zero issues using a mixture. i have used it in all 3 of my skis since 2016 and the one is a 450hp 90mph ski that spins 9200rpm.

Great, thanks so much! I really appreciate your responses.

just make sure the grease is for wheel bearings. you dont want anything with teflon in it. teflon particles make the balls slide instead of roll. on a microscopic level they are like little wheel chocks.

The description says, which leads me to believe it's perfectly fine.
Lucas Marine Grease is a premium, extreme pressure, multi-purpose, heavy duty OBCS grease containing unique polymers, anti-wear agents and tackifiers with inherent rust and oxidation resistance to provide the highest performance properties. It has been designed to lubricate under the most severe operating conditions in marine applications and because of its adhesive properties, it effectively stays in place.

Lucas Marine Grease provides excellent fresh water and salt water corrosion protection. Its fortified formula provides excellent extreme pressure properties, effective water resistance and shock loading protection as indicated by the typical weld point of 500 kg. The minimum industry standard is 200 kg.

Lucas Marine Grease is a truly universal marine grease with applications in trailer wheel bearing, trailer chassis lubrication and outboards. It also has crossover applications in automotive wheel bearing and chassis lubrication.

Last edited:
How does this look?

prob ok. i cant tell maybe slightly thicker. you want to be able to put it in the cone then be able to put the cone on without it pouring all over the place. at room temp it should barely drip. when it heats up then it thins out and runs down into the bearings.

I think that this would stay in the cone without dripping. I might need to keep mixing.

Back