• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Evaluate this spark plug

oakley24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Looking for some experienced comments on my spark plug pic below. 2014 SX 192, purchased a few months ago. No idea on previous maintenance, but boat has 80 hours and seems to run ok. I'm going to change the plugs, but just wanted some advice on if this looks normal or if I should look for anything else. I only pulled the one plug, so no idea how the others look until i get back to camp next weekend

20220924_181651.jpg

Looks corroded, I would assume the lack of use is the issue. 80 hours on a 9 year old boat is extremely low, there is a good chance those were changed at the 10 hour service and not again for 8 years.

I would do a full plug/oil change and run it for 10-15 hours and check them again. If fine, then change every year or 100 hours.

Last edited:
change them plugs are a cheap diagnostic tool

Since I have no maintenance info, I bet you are correct that the plugs are at least 7 years old. I have ordered new ones, but was wondering since I won't be able to get many more hours on the boat before winterizing, should I wait until spring to replace them? I'm going to change oil next week and also see if I can figure out how to do the fogging

84rzv500r, thanks for that link to read the plugs, very useful

Since I have no maintenance info, I bet you are correct that the plugs are at least 7 years old. I have ordered new ones, but was wondering since I won't be able to get many more hours on the boat before winterizing, should I wait until spring to replace them? I'm going to change oil next week and also see if I can figure out how to do the fogging

84rzv500r, thanks for that link to read the plugs, very useful

I would just replace them now and check them before you put the boat away. Spark plugs are cheap enough.

I would get Iridium equivalents.

Why. Really no benefit. Technically you could use them longer but that increases the chance that they would corrode onto the head and you may have an issue, if you don't pull them every so often. You will get no additional speed or any other benefit from them, and other members have indicated here that they may foul more.

To me, it looks like a fairly new plug. It lacks the typical tan insulator, carbon on the treads and corona staining. Just rust and corosion on the thread. I would change them and keep them as spares. This way you will have a baseline. Cheap enough.

That plug looks pretty good, barely two threads of heat, the insulator looks like the engine is running just about right. Be sure and put a very light coat of anti seize on the threads of the new plug.

perfect, thank you all for the comments, can't believe this site is free :)

Oh, we are going to cost you plenty. Let us suggest a few mods that your boat needs.

I have already been sucked into that black hole thanks to you guys. I ordered swim deck marine mat, installed Cobra fins already, will add second battery and ACR this winter. I need to update audio, add a second bulge pump and add a fish finder. The list is getting bigger by the day. Also, maybe figure out how to wakeboard, something I didn't know existed until this forum.....

I have already been sucked into that black hole thanks to you guys. I ordered swim deck marine mat, installed Cobra fins already, will add second battery and ACR this winter. I need to update audio, add a second bulge pump and add a fish finder. The list is getting bigger by the day. Also, maybe figure out how to wakeboard, something I didn't know existed until this forum.....

And if you don't have indoor storage, it is time to look at a boat garage so you can work on your boat all winter. :)

And if you don't have indoor storage, it is time to look at a boat garage so you can work on your boat all winter. :)

Good point, I'm gonna have to run that one by the boss...

change every year or 100 hours.
I don't know why people keep saying to change plugs every year or 100 hours. That is not a requirement, it's the "check and inspect" interval per the owner's manual. You inspect them at 100 hours or once a year and if worn, you replace them. If they're good, re-install and check them again next interval period.

For us in the north, yearly use is 30-50 hours - so change them every 30 hours or so? That's just a waste of money and material (LFR6A plugs are $8.20 + tax = $75 a set up here). One of my factory original plugs that are 3 years old I just pulled at 201 hours is below. It gaps at about 0.86mm which is within spec, heat range, colour and condition are all perfect, and engines are purring nicely with 53mph top speed...no reason to change them for maybe another 100 hours (click to enlarge):

plug.jpg

However I changed them with new plugs yesterday to do comparisons of old vs new, and then kept a set for spares. I check them every season and should be good for 4 years or more now which makes the cost about $18.75 / year which is more reasonable. It's not the cost that bothers me, it's the wasteful nature of tossing away perfectly good plugs. Same goes for oil changes where stealerships want to change synthetic oil every 5k - it's a complete waste of materials.

I don't know why people keep saying to change plugs every year or 100 hours. That is not a requirement, it's the "check and inspect" interval per the owner's manual. You inspect them at 100 hours or once a year and if worn, you replace them. If they're good, re-install and check them again next interval period.

For us in the north, yearly use is 30-50 hours - so change them every 30 hours or so? That's just a waste of money and material (LFR6A plugs are $8.20 + tax = $75 a set up here). One of my factory original plugs that are 3 years old I just pulled at 201 hours is below. It gaps at about 0.86mm which is within spec, heat range, colour and condition are all perfect, and engines are purring nicely with 53mph top speed...no reason to change them for maybe another 100 hours (click to enlarge):

View attachment 201351

However I changed them with new plugs yesterday to do comparisons of old vs new, and then kept a set for spares. I check them every season and should be good for 4 years or more now which makes the cost about $18.75 / year which is more reasonable. It's not the cost that bothers me, it's the wasteful nature of tossing away perfectly good plugs. Same goes for oil changes where stealerships want to change synthetic oil every 5k - it's a complete waste of materials.
I just changed mine (every two to three seasons)
It is a good validation on the health and performance of the engine especially if you are having problems.
For example. I pulled my plugs and they all look good except the port side 3rd cylinder plug. It looked like the picture from Oakley24 The 16 year old engines were running perfectly last season. The plug was shiny wet from gas and had deposits
My guess is a fouled injector or a blown head gasket. I am betting on a fouled fuel injector!!!
I am hooking up my monkey tail to see what the diagnostic can tell me. Below is a pic of the plugIMG_9919.jpegIMG_9919.jpeg

Last edited:
I just changed mine (every two to three seasons)
Did you check them each season or just change them?
They should be checked and inspected every year.
For example. I pulled my plugs and they all look good except the port side 3rd cylinder plug. It looked like the picture from Oakley24
That plug appears to have water intrusion in the cylinder.
The plug was shiny wet from gas and had deposits
Gas doesn't look "shiny wet" as it evaporates very quickly - oil or water residue perhaps, with deposits.
And that doesn't match the pic posted.
My guess is a fouled injector or a blown head gasket.
Head gasket is my guess based on the pic - looks like rust on the plug.

Check this page with images of various issues with NGK plugs:

However I changed them with new plugs yesterday to do comparisons of old vs new
Ran the boat yesterday afternoon with the new plugs, they performed the same - idle was just as smooth with the old plugs. Did a few top speed runs and hit a new personal best of 53.9 mph. I don't credit the plug change for this though - it was a cool dry day with light winds so near perfect conditions for a top speed run (click to enlarge):

topspeed.jpg

To me it looks like never seize was put on the plug but you can not put it on the last few threads as they are exposed in the combustion chamber.

Back