• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fiberglass Smell

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Is it normal to have a newer boat and the fiberglass is still giving off fumes? Everytime I go in one of the storage compartments, or put the batteries back in the boat for instance, the smell overwelms me and I feel nauseous. Does it ever go away. My boat is a 2021. TIA

Basically the fiberglass offgasses styrene for the life of the boat but it lessens over time and in cooler temps and when ventilated. Keep the boat cool and ventilated. A couple of forum discussions.

Last edited:
Basically the fiberglass offgasses styrene for the life of the boat but it lessens over time and in cooler temps and when ventilated. Keep the boat cool and ventilated. A couple of articles.

Thank you!

You guys are all high !?

I’ll second @zipper remark about it lessening over time. I can’t remember the last time I smelled that off gas from the glass. I have a half roll of tall kitchen garbage bags with febreeze in them in one of my forward compartments and that’s really all I smell anymore. My boat spends the season outdoors but under a full cover and I open the all the compartments when I get back to let everything dry out.

I grew up with that smell in the garage and the whole house. My father had a side business of making fiberglass repairs and mods to fiberglass dune buggy bodies and boat hulls. He made molds of a couple of dune buggy bodies in the 70’s. We lost them in a fire that took down our farm barn in 1996.

I grew up with that smell in the garage and the whole house. My father had a side business of making fiberglass repairs and mods to fiberglass dune buggy bodies and boat hulls. He made molds of a couple of dune buggy bodies in the 70’s. We lost them in a fire that took down our farm barn in 1996.

Those glass buggies were quite the rage in the 70’s! I just saw a glass model T the other night. Sorry about the barn fire…

Back