• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 210 Sport Battery Question

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I currently have a 2020 FSH 210 sport with three batteries (one starter and two deep cycle). Photo attached. I do a good bit of trolling (minn kota i pilot 80 lb thrust and simrad go 9 depth finder) and only get about three hours out of the trolling battery. I do troll in a river. At that point I switch the parallel on and get about another hour of trolling. I stop at that point as i don't want t risk the boat not starting. My trolling battery has died after 67 hours. I also have to charge my boat after each use to recharge the trolling battery. Does this scenario sound typical? do you suggest I add a 4th battery?

thank you!

Doug

Attachments

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210FSH setup is:
1=starting battery (I never use it for anything but starting)
1=house battery used for Go9/nav lights/bilge-livewell pumps/stereo/VHF/accessories (able to be paralleled if starting battery is depleted) usually able to get 8 or so hours fishing etc. Engines off depending on load before going into the 11 volt range - both above batteries charge via engines charging system. I would also suggest a 2-bank charging system.

I have 112lb thrust 36 volt Terrova and use 3= LiFePO4 54ah (Lithium Iron) batteries "dedicated" to my trolling motor - I can easley troll nonstop 6+ hours or stay spot-locked literally 10+ hrs when fully charged.

Always seperate from house and starting: Trolling motor batteries if using 24 volt or 36 volt trolling motor with seperate charging system. Never a good idea to mix 12 and 24 or 36 volt systems by Parallel and series or 1/2 tap as you will always have 1 battery under a higher load and you will shorten the overall life of the batteries. If possible I would suggest the LiFePO4 or at least AGM over a wet cell deep cycle.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I'll second what @Dumbassbass says. Cranking batteries are for cranking and not meant to be used for either a house or trolling battery. Doing that will cause a premature death to the cranking battery. Ive also been on the fence about a 24v or 36v and think you guys just convinced me to go 36.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 210FSH setup is:
1=starting battery (I never use it for anything but starting)
1=house battery used for Go9/nav lights/bilge-livewell pumps/stereo/VHF/accessories (able to be paralleled if starting battery is depleted) usually able to get 8 or so hours fishing etc. Engines off depending on load before going into the 11 volt range - both above batteries charge via engines charging system. I would also suggest a 2-bank charging system.

I have 112lb thrust 36 volt Terrova and use 3= LiFePO4 54ah (Lithium Iron) batteries "dedicated" to my trolling motor - I can easley troll nonstop 6+ hours or stay spot-locked literally 10+ hrs when fully charged.

Always seperate from house and starting: Trolling motor batteries if using 24 volt or 36 volt trolling motor with seperate charging system. Never a good idea to mix 12 and 24 or 36 volt systems by Parallel and series or 1/2 tap as you will always have 1 battery under a higher load and you will shorten the overall life of the batteries. If possible I would suggest the LiFePO4 or at least AGM over a wet cell deep cycle.
Thank you very much for the advice! So it sounds like I should do two batteries for starting and house on one charger system and three lithium for the trolling motor on a separate charging system. Do you keep the three lithium in the port side storage next to the engine and the two deep cycle batteries on the starboard storage compartment next to the livewell / engine? Doug

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you want to avoid the expense of lithium batteries, you could go with what I have:
X2 Power Battery
SLI31AGMDPM 12v Group 31 AGM x 2 (less than $800 total). They provide about 10 hours anchoring against the tide (8+ ft. change) and wind. I typically recharge them every 3 to 4 outings with a dedicated on-board charger connected to shore power. I have been using this system for 3+ years with no regrets.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thank you very much for the advice! So it sounds like I should do two batteries for starting and house on one charger system and three lithium for the trolling motor on a separate charging system. Do you keep the three lithium in the port side storage next to the engine and the two deep cycle batteries on the starboard storage compartment next to the livewell / engine? Doug
So if your trolling motor is 24v then you only need two dedicated trolling motor batteries.

So the house and cranking batteries should be wired independently, the emergency battery switch allows them to be parallel to provide cranking power in the event of an emergency. When wired in parallel, two 12v batteries provide 12v with twice the capacity.

The trolling motor batteries are wired in series which is why you get 24v instead of 12v.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you very much! I only have 67 hours on the boat. just trying to wrap my head around the best best battery scenario before I make the changes and spend the money. I appreciate the feedback! Doug

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
correct my trolling motor is model 1363740 - 80 lbs thrust / 24 voltage. thank you

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I haven't done my trolling motor setup on my 210 fsh yet, but plan to go with lithium installed in the forward section of the console. There is a little cutout that is perfect for mounting. That will allow a shorter wire run to the motor. Going with lithium for performance and weight savings, and theoretically price should be a wash if they last as long as claimed.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thank you. looks like i am going to keep my current house and starter batteries and add two new batteries for the trolling motor. still deciding on two group 31 deep cycle marine batteries or 2 lithium. I have three mounted in the starboard stern storage pod. still figuring out the location of the 4th - either in the center consol storage pod or port storage pod next to the livewell

thanks!

Doug

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Suggestion: install an on board MinnKota 4 bank charger in your head / storage area under the helm. Set up a waterproof socket on the side of the helm. When you get home and or while the boat is parked, once you plug in the charger(s) will condition each battery separately and will be at full charge each time you take it out. I had the dealer install an ulterra 36 volt troller, battery bank is in the hold and a MinnKota 3 Bank charger was installed on the shelf in the head / changing area.

From what I can tell each 1050cc motor only can put out 14 amps charge at 3000 rpm’s. the house battery was not getting a full charge since my transit times are pretty short, so I added a second MinnKota 2 Bank charger in the same location as the dealer installed one for the engine start battery and the house battery. Now when I head out all batteries are fully charged.

I have flooded type deep cycle batteries for all but the starting battery which appears to be a standard type battery.

I have lithium batteries in my powersports equipment. Lithium batteries are great for increased amp hours /CCA for a given footprint and very low storage discharge rate, typically 1% per month vs 4-10% per month for flooded batteries. As well as much less weight. You should know that lithium batteries do not tolerate a discharge below 10.5 volts, if that Happens they are junk. Another characteristic of lithium batteries is that if they get below 32°F, they will act like they are dead, they are not. Put some load on them for a couple minutes and that load will generate enough heat internally to bring them back to full power.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like the suggestion above and nice install @FSH 210 Sport perfect for AGM, Lead Acid, Gel, flooded Deep cycle BUT Please be cautious of battery charging and make sure the charger you use is designed for the chemistry of your specific batteries LiFePO4 batteries must be charged with LiFePO4 comatible chargers or they could render your $1500 investment junk!

----> Worth reading <----

Attachments

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like the suggestion above and nice install @FSH 210 Sport perfect for AGM, Lead Acid, Gel, flooded Deep cycle BUT Please be cautious of battery charging and make sure the charger you use is designed for the chemistry of your specific batteries LiFePO4 batteries must be charged with LiFePO4 comatible chargers or they could render your $1500 investment junk!

----> Worth reading <----

Thanks!

Absolutely make sure you set up your charger for the type of battery you have!

The MinnKota’s come set up for flooded batteries, it is a simple process as mentioned in Dumbass’s post states to set the correct battery type when the charger is first used, from there on it holds the battery type in it’s memory.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I ended up going with two group 31 deep cycle marine batteries for the trolling motor. I have two group 24 cranking and house battery as well. I have a three battery charger with all four batteries attached. Three batteries are in port storage compartment and one is in the starboard storage next to the live well. The dealer didn't carry lithium so i went this route. I hope i dont regret it but seems like i have plenty of power to the trolling motor as well as the other two. Thanks! Doug

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m sure that will work out just fine for you Doug!!

The LiFe batteries are way lighter and have more capacity but they are A LOT more to purchase!

I’m starting to investigate a way to charge the trolling motor bank while no shore power is available... planning a big trip to a big lake next year and that will be a week or two on the water.. I’m looking at portable solar power to lay on the T top for pretty much passive recharge and supply of the trolling motor bank while out on the water.. other option is a small honda generator to power the trolling motor bank on board charger. I’ll make a separate thread for that..