• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Garmin 73sv to 93sv…….

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone moved from the Garmin 73sv up to the 93sv? I have a 73sv (63sv before that) and only use it as a chart plotter as I don’t fish. My old @ss eyes aren’t getting any better and am thinking about upgrading to the 93sv which should be easier to read but I’m not sure if the bang is worth the buck.

Thoughts?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Quite a few deals out there on these units. The 93SV I bought a year and a half ago was like $650 at thegpsstore.com The big guys like Reeds, Cabelas and Scheels were within a few dollars.

That was with the old GT54 transducer. This year I bought a 106 with GT54 for $999, they are now $100 less. But the screen size and resolution was even better on the 106. A person just has to set a budget and grab what is top of the line for the budget.

Since the UHD2 units are out, these should keep dropping. But I don't think that higher resolution will do much for navigation, it's more on the sonar and livescope side that you benefit from it.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm more interested if the larger display makes it easier to read or if the details are the same size but just a larger picture. I didn't explains that real well in my original post......... :-/

mtudb24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the 74sv UHD side scan with the GT54 for my 2024 AR 220 that I pick up on Saturday for $350 from Cabela's. Dealer installed for free with purchase of boat. Didn't have room where I wanted mounted for the 9" screen. I'm upgrading from a 4" Garmin unit on my old boat, so this will be a serious upgrade for this old mans eyes!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yup, the 93sv is just a larger version of the 73sv and it uses the same cables. The transducer cable may be different but I don't use it so not really an issue for me.

My 73sv has the inland lakes - I'll never have it offshore.

Best deal i can find on a new 93sv is $699 so trying to decide if I should bite the bullet. :)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That wasn't the point made to @mtudb24 the second number is what he should be concerned about.

He said he bought a 74, which comes with Bluechart maps unlike the 73 which has the Navionics inland maps. and he is in Michigan. Unless he bought the one on sale at Cabelas which had Garmin Navionics+™ US coastal and Great Lakes mapping . Still nothing inland other than great lakes. Yes, you are right Dan, you want the 73/93 series. Thats the reason I bought the 93 first. The 106 came with both.

I did note the old 93's seem to be sold out all over. Black Friday last fall and spring sales cleaned out stock all over. Now they are pushing the more expensive UHD2 versions of the same models.

Last edited:

mtudb24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That wasn't the point made to @mtudb24 the second number is what he should be concerned about.

He said he bought a 74, which comes with Bluechart maps unlike the 73 which has the Navionics inland maps. and he is in Michigan. Unless he bought the one on sale at Cabelas which had Garmin Navionics+™ US coastal and Great Lakes mapping . Still nothing inland other than great lakes. Yes, you are right Dan, you want the 73/93 series. Thats the reason I bought the 93 first. The 106 came with both.

I did note the old 93's seem to be sold out all over. Black Friday last fall and spring sales cleaned out stock all over. Now they are pushing the more expensive UHD2 versions of the same models.
You are correct and one of the reasons I wanted the 74 from Cabela's as I am on Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron, so it had to have the Great lakes mapping for me.

mtudb24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer sent me pics today. We pick up the boat tomorrow. Ram mount with dual swivels so its adjustable
Garmin 1.jpgTransducer.jpg