• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas can options

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
What are you guys using when you bring 20 gallon reserves for longer trip?

At first I ordered two 10.5 gallon Flo Fast containers but these things are huge. One fits in the ski locker which is nice but the second doesn't fit well into the helm storage as it's too tall. I think this thing may be too heavy and awkward sized to pour from the boat. They sell a $200 pump but I'll rarely use this thing so it doesn't seem worth it.

What other good options have you come across to easily store on the boat and fill up while on the water?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure of what gas can is appropiate for you but other people mentioned even 5 gallon is PITA to pour in the tank ... make sure you have siphon to transfer fuel, it will be long transfer but u can do it while having lunch or taking a break.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use something like this. 3/4 hose with shaker primer. Got it at a boat show a few years back. But can find on amazon from plenty of vendors.
It does pretty well and transfers fuel pretty quick.

61wRD4Nf5LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

If you use the VP style can, you can just get a much longer piece of hose from the home improvement center to make fuel transfer easier. I’ve used VP cans for many many years and they do not leak and are simple to use. To keep the can as short as possible, leave the fill spout off the can until ready to use, then just screw the fill hose into the cap while you use it.

The main thing with any portable container is to make sure you touch the can bare handed, then reach over and touch the hull or gas cap with the gas cap shut before you stick the gas can hose into the boats fill neck-this eliminate any potential difference(static spark) between the boat and the fill can.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good call on the siphon, thanks for the tip.

I went ahead and grabbed this four pack of 5 gallon cans for under $100: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SLPYJX0. It seems like based on these dimensions I might be able to fit all four in the ski locker which would be awesome for making use of the space. It seems most the bad reviews are related to those EPA required spouts. Using the siphon should alleviate that headache, hopefully.

I like the VP racing cans but looks like they are pretty tall (~22") and would only be able to fit two of them in the ski locker.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not be placing 4 full gas cans in a enclosed space, fume buildup can be dangerous and cause an explosion. That will ruin a day quickly.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I would not be placing 4 full gas cans in a enclosed space, fume buildup can be dangerous and cause an explosion. That will ruin a day quickly.
Where is everyone keeping their cans when transporting 20 gallons for trips such as a Bimini run?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length