• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Great First Day

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wife and I were able to take our 2017 212 Limited S out for her maiden voyage yesterday! I have to say, I love this boat and looking forward to many days of fun out on the water! That being said, It will definitely take some getting use to around the docks. We plan on going out and doing a lot of practice around the docks and getting a feel for maneuverability while fighting currents and wind. If you are out in the Wilmington NC area...look for the boat named "Rated ARRRRR"

Wife and I were able to take our 2017 212 Limited S out for her maiden voyage yesterday! I have to say, I love this boat and looking forward to many days of fun out on the water! That being said, It will definitely take some getting use to around the docks. We plan on going out and doing a lot of practice around the docks and getting a feel for maneuverability while fighting currents and wind. If you are out in the Wilmington NC area...look for the boat named "Rated ARRRRR"

Check out the Cobra Jet Steering system - makes docking significantly easier. Of course practice is important too.... soon enough you will be docking in 15mph winds with a strong current.

Totally agree with @adrianp89. Also, practice using the two throttles independently. Definitely helps with control. And try approaching the dock at about a 45 degree angle if you can. Good videos on jetboatpilot as well.

Totally agree with @adrianp89. Also, practice using the two throttles independently. Definitely helps with control. And try approaching the dock at about a 45 degree angle if you can. Good videos on jetboatpilot as well.

Thanks for the tip. Definitely looking into a cobra steering system. Hoping we get decent weather to get out and practice during the week.

45 works very well. In super strong winds and currents I will do 90 degrees until nose right before dock and floor it reverse, which brings the stern right to the dock. and keeps bow momentum towards the dock as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Definitely looking into a cobra steering system. Hoping we get decent weather to get out and practice during the week.

Practice, practice, practice.

As @Dave burke says use the split throttles to your advantage! They work great. Rule of thumb there is that steering should be centered when splitting the throttles, and throttle together when using the wheel.

Also, Jet Boat pilot makes a thrust directional control enhancing system of fins and directional control thrust tubes that bolt on, not sure about those last little items on our vintage boat as I do not know when the nozzles were changed. But JBP’s thrust vectors are used by many with great success as well as the cobra system.

I personally do not have any thrust vectors or cobra steering enhancers on my boat and while I’m sure they would improve things I have not found the need for them. Again, practice is the key. And, fight your enemy, whenever possible maneuver into the wind and or current whenever possible. With your analogue reverse bucket system you have infinite control over thrust.

I’m sure you will come to terms with our boats unique handling qualities when thrust is low and around fixed objects.

Super glad to see your post and the outlook for good times ahead!

Guide pols are key around here as well. (if you don't have them on the trailer yet) With tides going in and out and wind on the ICW, pulling the boat on the trailer helped a million. @allamerican149

also, where did you guys lunch from?

Guide pols are key around here as well. (if you don't have them on the trailer yet) With tides going in and out and wind on the ICW, pulling the boat on the trailer helped a million. @allamerican149

also, where did you guys lunch from?

We launched from the Wrightsville beach boat ramp right next to palm tree island. We will also put in at snow's cut in Carolina beach and just cruise up the waterway to Wrightsville

Everyone has their own little tips and tricks to that perfect docking situation, and what I learned the hard way is every jetboat handles differently. I had a SeaDoo for many years and could put that thing in any tiny space in just about any condition. The second time out on my brand new Yamaha, I smoked the dock pretty hard. (It was a real kick in the..... teeth) Really considered getting cobra fins or thrust vectors... However, I continued to practice maneuvering without them and while I have not mastered handling like my previous boat I can get my boat in tight spaces at the sand bar and to the dock without incident. Just a little less confident then I used to be. My 2 cents, I hate guide poles I think they are ugly and unnecessary. However I know many people that live by them, my point... Keep practicing and trying out different things on days its not busy and you'll get the hang of it in no time! BTW I love the name, going on a year with my boat and still have not committed to a name!

@MrBubbaGump I agree, the poles are ugly as hell. But they work so well. The ICW around here can be like a fast river. With most docking and ramp situation being very tight to maneuver in they help so much. I also have Thrust Vectors and they help quite a bit. Did the first year of ownership without them and did ok. But after adding both the TVs and Poles, I will not have a boat around here without them.

Practice Practice Practice. My first 227 voyages over these last 5 years taught me that maybe by the next 227 I will finally have mastered it all...not. Wind, Tide and Current are always changing. Slow is Pro.

My wife and I just bought a 2023 222SD and the lakes are still frozen here, so we haven't been able to use it yet. Do the throttles on the newer SD models operate independently as well? Can you put one in forward and one in reverse to spin the boat around? It seems that would help maneuverability in tight areas.

John

Yes, yes, and absolutely!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to testing it out.

John

Back