• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hatch Latch Maintenance

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So one of our maintenance to-dos before Bimini is service/replace the deck latches to the ski locker and clean out hatch. Some are loose which can obviously be handled with channel locks, but they’re all getting real stiff to lift and twist. Any recommendations on how to clean them out from salt or lubricate them? I don’t think they’re quite at the replacement stage yet and if I can successfully work on them they should probably last a couple more years.

Sounds like there is scaling/build up on the on the shafts the connect the handle and cam. Try submersing the entire unit in water and baking soda over night to break the scaling down. Alternatively you could spray some silicone / wd40 or some other lubricant (something that isn’t harmful to plastic) into them and work the hand back and forth to see if that works. Also, actually first, check each mechanism to see if there is a nut or screw in the underside of each unit which can be adjusted to make turning the handle easier.

fyi I have all of the latches (except those which secure the cover of the fuel compartment) from a 2017 at 240 for sale.

Sounds like there is scaling/build up on the on the shafts the connect the handle and cam. Try submersing the entire unit in water and baking soda over night to break the scaling down. Alternatively you could spray some silicone / wd40 or some other lubricant (something that isn’t harmful to plastic) into them and work the hand back and forth to see if that works. Also, actually first, check each mechanism to see if there is a nut or screw in the underside of each unit which can be adjusted to make turning the handle easier.

fyi I have all of the latches (except those which secure the cover of the fuel compartment) from a 2017 at 240 for sale.
Thanks, I’ll try soaking it - I assume that should remove a lot of the salt buildup, no? I think if I get that off it’ll be leaps and bounds better.

I’ve read on here and other places that folks spray their entire boat down with a salt away product in addition to using it to flush the engines with. Seems to me that should be part of the regular post use maintenance. After that a liberal dosing of silicone spray should make them operate smoothly. I operate my boat in fresh water and all the latches get a dose of silicone spray on a regular basis. I also fog the entire rear bilge area and the engine compartment to disperse water and provide a layer of corrosion inhibitor.

I’ve read on here and other places that folks spray their entire boat down with a salt away product in addition to using it to flush the engines with. Seems to me that should be part of the regular post use maintenance. After that a liberal dosing of silicone spray should make them operate smoothly. I operate my boat in fresh water and all the latches get a dose of silicone spray on a regular basis. I also fog the entire rear bilge area and the engine compartment to disperse water and provide a layer of corrosion inhibitor.
We’re stored in a high and dry, so don’t have the ability to use salt away easily, but we do spray it down as best as possible. At this point I figure it’s a 15 year old boat - just comes with the territory.

yeah some of yamaha's selections from the US boat industry in the older boats were not the best possible IMHO for salt water use anyway. I had to replace the pot metal and plastic latches with stainless... and I use liberal amounts of CRC corrosion inhibitor, Superlube Silicone with PTFE, Marine Antisieze, waterproof grease, corrosionX heavy duty, tefgel, and 5200... and flush the engines with Salt Away if they are gonna set unused for more than a day...

We’re stored in a high and dry, so don’t have the ability to use salt away easily, but we do spray it down as best as possible. At this point I figure it’s a 15 year old boat - just comes with the territory.

So you are not flushing your engines out with salt away?

Back