• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help - My starboard 1.8L is vibrating beyond use

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Hi there - Thanks for reading

Today I ran over some debris and when I tried to go on plane, the vibration from the starboard motor was loud enough that we could tell very quickly there was something wrong. I went to the cleanout port and pulled out a piece of flat plastic about the size of a pocket knife, a broken piece of a kayak or something. After pulling it out, the boat was idling and moving forward slowly fine, but if I tried to raise the RPMs to go on plane it shook like crazy.

I can't see anything wrong with it now - so if anyone could provide me some ideas on what to look for I'd be appreciative!

Thanks!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A few things may have happened, here my thoughts:

1. There is still something in the pump, on the impeller shaft or between the impellers blades (could be something as simple as a tooth pick or fishing line). Clear the obstruction and or should be fine.

2. Some of the sealant, if any, on the leading edge where the metal of the pump is bonded to the hull, got torn out. Reseal the area, make the transition as smooth as possible and you may be fine.

3. One or more of the impeller blades is bent or jaggged or otherwise damaged. . Have it reworked or replaced and you will be be fine. FYI - both my solas impellers threw blades within three years of installing them and it caused the symptoms you described.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
definitely still have trash in your pump

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi there - Thanks for reading

Today I ran over some debris and when I tried to go on plane, the vibration from the starboard motor was loud enough that we could tell very quickly there was something wrong. I went to the cleanout port and pulled out a piece of flat plastic about the size of a pocket knife, a broken piece of a kayak or something. After pulling it out, the boat was idling and moving forward slowly fine, but if I tried to raise the RPMs to go on plane it shook like crazy.

I can't see anything wrong with it now - so if anyone could provide me some ideas on what to look for I'd be appreciative!

Thanks!
Did you pull the boat out of the water and inspect?

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I pulled it out and looked under and can't find anything!

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
It was really weird because the vibration increased the more I increased the starboard throttle, so I was convinced it was on that side. It was actually a piece of cloth that was stuck in the port side. I finally checked there since I wasn't seeing anything anywhere else. Immediately the boat was back to it's former self! Thank you all for your help!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now that is a first, never heard of that happening glad you found it.