• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

hours on your 1.8l's

How many hours do you have on your 1.8 L engines

• <75

Votes: 65 44.8%
  • 76-150

Votes: 45 31.0%
  • 151-225

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • 226-300

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 301-375

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • 376-450

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • >500

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bump to all the current 1.8L owners..

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
506 hours over 10 seasons before one suffered a timing chain break leading to both engines being replaced. Now the remaining oem engine is a spare sitting in my garage. Both my Waverunners have the latest version of the 1.8 engine.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
506 hours over 10 seasons before one suffered a timing chain break leading to both engines being replaced. Now the remaining oem engine is a spare sitting in my garage. Both my Waverunners have the latest version of the 1.8 engine.
mine keeps jumping timing at 750hr getting ready to replace chain and tensioner. Thankfully nothing crazy just jumps 1 tooth or so and we have to keep putting it in timing over and over. No bent valves got lucky I guess.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
mine keeps jumping timing at 750hr getting ready to replace chain and tensioner. Thankfully nothing crazy just jumps 1 tooth or so and we have to keep putting it in timing over and over. No bent valves got lucky I guess.
If you know / suspect your timing chain going to break I recommend that you replace it immediately. The quote to fix the engine with the broken timing chain was around $2,500, $5,000 to replace all the pistons (to do a complete top end rebuild as well). You can save some money by stripping the engine down before taking it to the shop. $170 per hour is the shop rate here in NCal, at least it was about a year ago.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you know / suspect your timing chain going to break I recommend that you replace it immediately. The quote to fix the engine with the broken timing chain was around $2,500, $5,000 to replace all the pistons (to do a complete top end rebuild as well). You can save some money by stripping the engine down before taking it to the shop. $170 per hour is the shop rate here in NCal, at least it was about a year ago.
oh yea I have the parts already and getting it done Wednesday

Corsair21111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My sister has a 2016 AR240. Mostly salt water use in Lynnhaven Bay VA Beach. When we were all togetherness for a big family vacation back in August hers was up to 439 hours. Boat still runs like a boss and she has had zero issues with it.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
265 trouble free hours, mostly saltwater use, before I sold it a month ago..

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Use mine for fishing charter I have a 2017 FSH 190 749hrs and kicking!
Wellllllll I spoke to soon she died at 753 hours :( white smoke burning oil piston rings are far gone 90psi per cylinder she gave out 2 days ago.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wellllllll I spoke to soon she died at 753 hours :( white smoke burning oil piston rings are far gone 90psi per cylinder she gave out 2 days ago.
Now you know why it idled so rough.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Working on a rebuild I’m sending the head off to get machined and tested. Getting new piston rings and keep on moving! :banghead:

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Question for anyone on here the rebuild is complete. Any recommendations for breaking the motor?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Follow what the manual says. Don’t use synthetic motor oil until after 100 hours.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New cam break in may require an elevated rpm for a certain period of time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anything special you did to get it this far? I have on a FSH 210 wondering if there is anything I should do extra maintenance wise to keep her going that long.