• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery Issue

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Question on the house battery, I have the Mx manual but haven't read into it yet- my house battery seems to have a slight drain even with both batteries' cutoff swith in the off position. Note, the factory radio always has power. Is this normal?

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Unless something is wired directly to the battery (as in you should see a wire going to the battery terminal, but not through the battery switch), both switches in the off position should prevent anything from receiving power. The common exception is a bilge pump with a float switch connected directly to the battery.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Unless something is wired directly to the battery (as in you should see a wire going to the battery terminal, but not through the battery switch), both switches in the off position should prevent anything from receiving power. The common exception is a bilge pump with a float switch connected directly to the battery.
Most of the bilge pumps these days are made without a float switch, the pump actually cycles on a timer every few minutes and if it senses the presence of water it will keep pumping (I'm not a big fan of these). This does drain the battery life if not on a charger while wet slipped. The bilge pumps do bypass the battery switch.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Most of the bilge pumps these days are made without a float switch, the pump actually cycles on a timer every few minutes and if it senses the presence of water it will keep pumping (I'm not a big fan of these). This does drain the battery life if not on a charger while wet slipped. The bilge pumps do bypass the battery switch.
Are you sure? The auto sensing bilge pump, without a way to disconnect it from power, would slowly drain the battery(ies) while the boat sits on the trailer or rack.
I know, for sure, that my factory auto sensing bilge pump is disconnected from power by the battery switches. In fact, mine actually needs the bilge switch to be on to work at all - Yamaha later changed that set up. When I turn my batteries off, my bilge switch does not have power.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Are you sure? The auto sensing bilge pump, without a way to disconnect it from power, would slowly drain the battery(ies) while the boat sits on the trailer or rack.
I know, for sure, that my factory auto sensing bilge pump is disconnected from power by the battery switches. In fact, mine actually needs the bilge switch to be on to work at all - Yamaha later changed that set up. When I turn my batteries off, my bilge switch does not have power.
I know on the 2020 210FSH (and I believe most others) it bypasses the battery switch. It is connected to the line side of the switch so if you have the batteries shut off your pump is the only thing that will be powered - a must if wet slipped. Book states that as well.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know on the 2020 210FSH (and I believe most others) it bypasses the battery switch. It is connected to the line side of the switch so if you have the batteries shut off your pump is the only thing that will be powered - a must if wet slipped. Book states that as well.
I do not doubt you, but how do you prevent the auto sensing bilge pump from draining your battery(ies) over a period of several weeks with the boat on a trailer or in a rack? Do you have to physically disconnect the battery cables or some how disable the bilge pump?

I could be wrong, but I thought the newer boats provided power to the bilge pump whether the bilge pump switch is on or not. I thought the battery switches would cut power to the pump. If wet slipping, the battery switches would need to be left on with all other items tuned off.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree with you in regards to the constant drain on the battery and yes, the switch on the dashboard overrides the auto-sense to on-demand. I do use a charger/maintainer and always run shore power even when it sits on the trailer in my garage. The book also suggests removal of the batteries if the boat will not be used for More than a month.

Attachments

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree with you in regards to the constant drain on the battery and yes, the switch on the dashboard overrides the auto-sense to on-demand. I do use a charger/maintainer and always run shore power even when it sits on the trailer in my garage. The book also suggests removal of the batteries if the boat will not be used for More than a month.
Wow - bizarre. I have never removed or externally charged my Start and House batteries, but I do plan to replace them this fall at 4 years.

Well, my boat may not be new anymore, but I have analog gauges (no Connext), flip up jump seats and my battery switches cut everything off.

gkallevig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Interesting. I think we have the same boat (2016 fsh 190). I was wondering about the auto bilge setup we have. So it's the bilge on auto function when I click the rocker switch on? Or is it continually trying to pump? I always hear house when it's on, but it doesn't always seem to be pumping.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Interesting. I think we have the same boat (2016 fsh 190). I was wondering about the auto bilge setup we have. So it's the bilge on auto function when I click the rocker switch on? Or is it continually trying to pump? I always hear house when it's on, but it doesn't always seem to be pumping.
Turning the bilge switch on only just provides power to the pump. It will then auto sense (run briefly to detect water) every few minutes, and it will not run continuously until it is pumping water. Your bilge switch should always be on, if your boat is in the water, and it should be off (or battery switches off) if your boat is out of the water.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I verified mine yesterday with the switch off. Ran the hose in the engine bay and then it kicked on. The older kid was parked next to the boat with her window down a couple of inches. She has to move her car next to the boat so I can hook up, otherwise she parks in front of the trailer. Anyhow, bilge works :) Kid is not too happy about her wet back seat, so I took it out and put it in the sun to dry out. :oops:

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I verified mine yesterday with the switch off. Ran the hose in the engine bay and then it kicked on. The older kid was parked next to the boat with her window down a couple of inches. She has to move her car next to the boat so I can hook up, otherwise she parks in front of the trailer. Anyhow, bilge works :) Kid is not too happy about her wet back seat, so I took it out and put it in the sun to dry out. :oops:
Yup,Yup:

Bilge pump switch "OFF" = auto-sense

Bilge pump switch "ON" = pump on - continuous run

Mine is verified as well in the water, so no wet back seats and @HangOutdoors .... well thats just great comedy there I don't care who you are ;-)

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my boat there is a fuse holder mounted to the engine side of the battery compartment that has a direct line to the battery, this is the auto portion of the bilge pump when the battery switches are off. The bilge pump rocker switch on the dash gets its source from the switched side of the house battery switch. A cool set up really as there are two separate wiring feeds to the bilge pump.

Also the bilge pump on my boat does not cycle, there is either an enclosed float or an electrical sensor.